RV glut, interesting article - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-04-2006, 08:28 PM   #15

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
<<<<YellowStone next summer. A bit over 2,000 miles round trip, we'll say 2,000. They're going to drive their car instead of the truck, estimate at least 20mpg on car. To take the trailer would be double the gas cost. At $2.50 per gallon, $250 with the car, $500 with truck and trailer.>>>>

But after they have had the expense of motels, and all the hassle of packing, unpacking, hauling luggage around
I'm not sure which would be more hassles, trying to manage a 32' trailer or hauling a bit of luggage around.

Quote:
, you bet they will wish they had taken their trailer, and their OWN BED.
I know I would rather have my trailer with me.

Old 10-04-2006, 08:55 PM   #16

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Since I live in San Diego, and Dad and most of my siblings live near Syracuse, I tend to average 7,000 miles per "vacation" trip. I have detested airports since the Reagan Administration.

My most economical "crossing" was in 1999. We used our 1991 Geo Metro 3-cylinder hatchback and stayed at low cost motels. (like Motel-6) We ate in budget family friendly restaraunts. I tend to do lo-o-o-ng days behind the wheel, and we could cover more ground in a day in a small car without a trailer... I averaged 700 miles a day on that trip!

The up side was that being able to go fast enuf to cover that amount of ground in a day sliced a full day off the one-way drive. The Geo got close to 40 mpg.

The down side was that even tho the rooms were clean, I could not get comfortable. Beds were usually too hard, especially in the newer properties, and the rooms were too "stuffy".

Old 10-04-2006, 09:03 PM   #17

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Quote:
I see what you're saying, but....

I met a couple on a camping trip that have a 32' trailer. Towing that with his truck they less than 10mpg. For arguments sake let's just 10mpg. They're planing a trip to Yellow Stone next summer. A bit over 2,000 miles round trip, we'll say 2,000. They're going to drive their car instead of the truck, estimate at least 20mpg on car. To take the trailer would be double the gas cost. At $2.50 per gallon, $250 with the car, $500 with truck and trailer.

There are situations where it does make a difference.
Point taken, Byron but... most folks DON'T take 2,000 mile round trips with every outing. Most are 100 miles or less on weekends; yet "gas prices" keep them from taking their RVs out for a weekend to their local campground? That just doesn't wash. Long vacation trips are an entirely different issue, and I can certainly see how the entire Disneyland entrance fee for a family from Indiana could go up in exhaust fumes just gettting there. That's the single circumstance that does affect outing plans with budget issues.

Even at that, Penny and Frederick make excellent points about the additional expenses and hassles of a driving vacation. Having had a 34' trailer for three years, I can tell you that it's no more hassle to tow than a 25'. We did downsize to a 25' for a variety of reasons, among them: it's easier to get into state parks and small county campgrounds with it than with the 34' and those are the majority of places we stay regularly; almost all within 75 miles of home.

Roger
Old 10-04-2006, 10:49 PM   #18

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

We have good friends who fulltime in a 25' stickie trailer, who are in Florida right now. It was a used rental when they bought it 3 or 4 years ago in Michigan. They moved to Monterrey, California for a year, then went to Florida. They are tinkerers. They tow the trailer with a restored 1967 Mercury Monterrey Convertible, and are always fixing something on either the car, or the trailer.

Rodger mentioned that they were in the market to replace the trailer with something bigger, and to also get a diesel truck to tow it with. Then next year, when they retire, they will come west again. He said that Florida is a good place to find RV's and trailers at low prices, with many rigs well below $10,000.

I've tried to convert him to fiberglass, but he thinks it's too much of a niche market, and that the prices on fiberglass rigs are too high.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:03 AM   #19

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Fiberglass trailer prices ARE high. But you also get a better return when you sell than on any other trailer. In fact, they depreciate very little, so a higher percentage of the money you spend on one is returned when you sell it. Fiberglass trailers can be viewed as a wealth preservation asset. Further, loan interest can be written off as a vacation home mortgage if it has a bathroom.

Roger
Old 10-05-2006, 09:01 AM   #20

Name: Patrick
Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty (Sold 2011)/ Honda Odyssey
Arizona
Quote:
By buying a lightly used model with just 19,000 miles on it, the Merlas saved about a third off the $500,000 retail price of a new one. ($325,000 est)

A change of both heart and plans prompted the couple to put their RV on the market in May, after upping the odometer reading by only 20,000 miles. Unfortunately, the magazine ads they placed have yet to land a reasonable offer, and the eBay auction Merla posted last month, with a top bid of $144,000, fell short of the $179,000 reserve price she had set. "And it's going to be even harder when the 2007s come out and flood the market," she laments.
Let's see: $325,000 - $179,000 = $146,000 / 20,000 = $7.30 per mile.