RV glut, interesting article - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2006, 09:02 PM   #1

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

US News & World Report Article
Money & Business section.
It says that there is an RV glut out there.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:17 PM   #2

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
US News & World Report Article
Money & Business section.
It says that there is an RV glut out there.
Hi: Yup the old gas guzzeling heavy weight contenders...But not "EGGS" they arn't "a dime a dozen" Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 09:26 PM   #3

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Fred,
I suspect the glut is not of FGRV's, but of large motor homes and toy boxes. Actually, the demand for FGRV's may increase even though gas prices are down at least until after the elections.
The article does generate food for thought.
We're just glad we don't have a larger share of the gross nat'l product.
Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 07:09 AM   #4
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
SNOW CONES?
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 03:33 PM   #5

Trailer: Casita 17 ft 2004
Fred,

I have had camping neighbors at two different camp grounds want to know where to get an egg. Their "monsters" were cramping how far and how often they could go camping. Getting way too expensive. After the 3 minute tour, one even asked if The Brown Egg was for sale.

It feels great to have something so usefull, economical, and enjoyable.
Susan Tiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 03:56 PM   #6

Trailer: 2002 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe
Our next door neighbors recently purchased a 5th wheeler. They said they were looking for about a 24 foot. Well, they came home with their new RV - a 5th wheeler alright but it is about 28 feet or longer.

It has central vacuuming...a super dining room, comfortable chairs, a room for their two daughters and friends in the rear, and a separate beautiful queen size bedroom up a few steps in the front. Two slide outs that prevent them from cleaning the dining area and kitchen while parked in their yard. Opening them in the narrow driveway doesn't work. So if they want to vaccuum or clean after a trip, they hook up - pull it down the street to a friends house - and use their driveway for cleaning their RV. Then pull it back into their driveway.

Oh yes, that sure looks like something we would want to do.

It's the Casita for us...
CarolnJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 06:41 PM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Who ever said bigger is better? I want efficiency and ability to get into the small remote spots. Is why I am searching for one. I miss my truck camper for that too.
Kathy C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 08:33 PM   #8

Registry
Talking

Quote:
[b]SNOW CONES?

Thank you for noticing that! I laughed so hard when I first read that, I frightened the cat!
Old 10-03-2006, 08:35 PM   #9

Trailer: 2003 Casita Liberty Deluxe
Keep an eye on them Carol. I know so many people who have purchased large trailers or motorhomes and never use them because it's just too much work. Look at how often this group uses their eggs compared to even some of the "smaller" (25 ft) ones. We think nothing about hitching up for an overnighter, but friends of ours have a 27 footer and it's just too much work, gas, effort, time, etc, etc, etc. Plus, they almost always need to stay where there are hookups so that they can function. It's a tough life out there!
Chris B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 09:04 PM   #10

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
--><div class='quotemain'>
Keep an eye on them Carol. I know so many people who have purchased large trailers or motorhomes and never use them because it's just too much work. Look at how often this group uses their eggs compared to even some of the "smaller" (25 ft) ones. We think nothing about hitching up for an overnighter, but friends of ours have a 27 footer and it's just too much work, gas, effort, time, etc, etc, etc. Plus, they almost always need to stay where there are hookups so that they can function. It's a tough life out there!
[/quote]

I this is quite true.
I've had my Scamp less than 10 months. In that time we've made 18 trips, and spent 34 nights in it. The first trip was News Years Eve. There's another trip scheduled in a little over a week. Probably be one or two more before we've had it a year.

Aint it fun
Old 10-04-2006, 04:45 PM   #11

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
One very great thing about having a Casita is the turn-around time in getting the trailer ready for another trip. It takes only a little time to clean up our Casita, wash it, wax the front, restock it, and get going on our next trip!

I was talking to a guy I know who owns a 28-foot travel trailer (not a fifth wheel) and pulls it with a big V-8 pickup. He can't afford to take it out much anymore. Gas had become way too expensive (and if you think the lower gas prices are anything more than a quick gimmick, you're in for a rude surprise). Like me, he enjoys hitting the mountains, and he would just get sick watching the gas needle literally plunge before his eyes as he pulled his trailer up the steep grades. Oy!
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 05:16 PM   #12

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Bob... I know I've shared this several times before, but the cost of pulling a trailer... ANY size trailer behind a reasonably sized tow vehicle doesn't cost significantly more for most vehicles than making the same trip without the trailer. Obviously, if you can't afford to make the trip (with or without a trailer), then you can't afford it, but I find it pretty difficult to believe that you can't afford to pull your trailer if you can afford the trip.

With my 17' Bigfoot behind my '02 Tundra 6 cyl, I average 13-14mpg (18 mpg unladen). With my 17' Bigfoot behind my '00 Excursion 6.8l V10 on the round trip to the Black Hills last month, I averaged about 13 mpg (16 mpg unladen). With the 34' Airstream behind the Excursion, I used to get 9-10 mpg. With the 25' Bigfoot behind the Excursion returning from Chicago, I got about 12 mpg.

The average loss is around 5mpg towing. On a one hundred fifty mile round trip at 15mpg unladen, that would translate to about 10 gallons, or 15 gallons at 10 mpg pulling a trailer. At $3 a gallon, that's $30 v. $45 for the round trip, or only an additional $15 for the entire trip pulling the trailer, or less than the cost of one night's camping at many campgrounds. Folks spend $7 for hamburgers and $5 for coffee. $2 gas cuts those costs by 1/3.

I really think that the gas prices are really more of an excuse or mental hurdle for folks who own RVs and want to get out than a real budget killer. Most trailer owners probably tow our trailers less than 2000 miles a year (there are exceptions, many of them own fiberglass RVs of course) but I suspect that's about the norm... so you figure the annual costs for that kind of towing!

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 05:47 PM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Bob... I know I've shared this several times before, but the cost of pulling a trailer... ANY size trailer behind a reasonably sized tow vehicle doesn't cost significantly more for most vehicles than making the same trip without the trailer. Obviously, if you can't afford to make the trip (with or without a trailer), then you can't afford it, but I find it pretty difficult to believe that you can't afford to pull your trailer if you can afford the trip.

With my 17' Bigfoot behind my '02 Tundra 6 cyl, I average 13-14mpg (18 mpg unladen). With my 17' Bigfoot behind my '00 Excursion 6.8l V10 on the round trip to the Black Hills last month, I averaged about 13 mpg (16 mpg unladen). With the 34' Airstream behind the Excursion, I used to get 9-10 mpg. With the 25' Bigfoot behind the Excursion returning from Chicago, I got about 12 mpg.

The average loss is around 5mpg towing. On a one hundred fifty mile round trip at 15mpg unladen, that would translate to about 10 gallons, or 15 gallons at 10 mpg pulling a trailer. At $3 a gallon, that's $30 v. $45 for the round trip, or only an additional $15 for the entire trip pulling the trailer, or less than the cost of one night's camping at many campgrounds. Folks spend $7 for hamburgers and $5 for coffee. $2 gas cuts those costs by 1/3.

I really think that the gas prices are really more of an excuse or mental hurdle for folks who own RVs and want to get out than a real budget killer. Most trailer owners probably tow our trailers less than 2000 miles a year (there are exceptions, many of them own fiberglass RVs of course) but I suspect that's about the norm... so you figure the annual costs for that kind of towing!

Roger
I see what you're saying, but....

I met a couple on a camping trip that have a 32' trailer. Towing that with his truck they less than 10mpg. For arguments sake let's just 10mpg. They're planing a trip to Yellow Stone next summer. A bit over 2,000 miles round trip, we'll say 2,000. They're going to drive their car instead of the truck, estimate at least 20mpg on car. To take the trailer would be double the gas cost. At $2.50 per gallon, $250 with the car, $500 with truck and trailer.

There are situations where it does make a difference.
Old 10-04-2006, 06:05 PM   #14

Trailer: 1968 Venture (Molded Fiberglass 19 ft Class A Motorhome) and 82 TranStar B+
Send a message via AIM to Penny Taylor Send a message via Yahoo to Penny Taylor
<<<<YellowStone next summer. A bit over 2,000 miles round trip, we'll say 2,000. They're going to drive their car instead of the truck, estimate at least 20mpg on car. To take the trailer would be double the gas cost. At $2.50 per gallon, $250 with the car, $500 with truck and trailer.>>>>

But after they have had the expense of motels, and all the hassle of packing, unpacking, hauling luggage around, you bet they will wish they had taken their trailer, and their OWN BED.
Penny Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 07:28 PM   #15

Registry
Quote:
<<<<YellowStone next summer. A bit over 2,000 miles round trip, we'll say 2,000. They're going to drive their car instead of the truck, estimate at least 20mpg on car. To take the trailer would be double the gas cost. At $2.50 per gallon, $250 with the car, $500 with truck and trailer.>>>>

But after they have had the expense of motels, and all the hassle of packing, unpacking, hauling luggage around
I'm not sure which would be more hassles, trying to manage a 32' trailer or hauling a bit of luggage around.

Quote:
, you bet they will wish they had taken their trailer, and their OWN BED.
I know I would rather have my trailer with me.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:55 PM   #16

Registry
Talking

Since I live in San Diego, and Dad and most of my siblings live near Syracuse, I tend to average 7,000 miles per "vacation" trip. I have detested airports since the Reagan Administration.

My most economical "crossing" was in 1999. We used our 1991 Geo Metro 3-cylinder hatchback and stayed at low cost motels. (like Motel-6) We ate in budget family friendly restaraunts. I tend to do lo-o-o-ng days behind the wheel, and we could cover more ground in a day in a small car without a trailer... I averaged 700 miles a day on that trip!

The up side was that being able to go fast enuf to cover that amount of ground in a day sliced a full day off the one-way drive. The Geo got close to 40 mpg.

The down side was that even tho the rooms were clean, I could not get comfortable. Beds were usually too hard, especially in the newer properties, and the rooms were too "stuffy".
Old 10-04-2006, 08:03 PM   #17

Quote:
I see what you're saying, but....

I met a couple on a camping trip that have a 32' trailer. Towing that with his truck they less than 10mpg. For arguments sake let's just 10mpg. They're planing a trip to Yellow Stone next summer. A bit over 2,000 miles round trip, we'll say 2,000. They're going to drive their car instead of the truck, estimate at least 20mpg on car. To take the trailer would be double the gas cost. At $2.50 per gallon, $250 with the car, $500 with truck and trailer.

There are situations where it does make a difference.
Point taken, Byron but... most folks DON'T take 2,000 mile round trips with every outing. Most are 100 miles or less on weekends; yet "gas prices" keep them from taking their RVs out for a weekend to their local campground? That just doesn't wash. Long vacation trips are an entirely different issue, and I can certainly see how the entire Disneyland entrance fee for a family from Indiana could go up in exhaust fumes just gettting there. That's the single circumstance that does affect outing plans with budget issues.

Even at that, Penny and Frederick make excellent points about the additional expenses and hassles of a driving vacation. Having had a 34' trailer for three years, I can tell you that it's no more hassle to tow than a 25'. We did downsize to a 25' for a variety of reasons, among them: it's easier to get into state parks and small county campgrounds with it than with the 34' and those are the majority of places we stay regularly; almost all within 75 miles of home.

Roger
Old 10-04-2006, 09:49 PM   #18

Registry
Unhappy

We have good friends who fulltime in a 25' stickie trailer, who are in Florida right now. It was a used rental when they bought it 3 or 4 years ago in Michigan. They moved to Monterrey, California for a year, then went to Florida. They are tinkerers. They tow the trailer with a restored 1967 Mercury Monterrey Convertible, and are always fixing something on either the car, or the trailer.

Rodger mentioned that they were in the market to replace the trailer with something bigger, and to also get a diesel truck to tow it with. Then next year, when they retire, they will come west again. He said that Florida is a good place to find RV's and trailers at low prices, with many rigs well below $10,000.

I've tried to convert him to fiberglass, but he thinks it's too much of a niche market, and that the prices on fiberglass rigs are too high.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:03 AM   #19

Fiberglass trailer prices ARE high. But you also get a better return when you sell than on any other trailer. In fact, they depreciate very little, so a higher percentage of the money you spend on one is returned when you sell it. Fiberglass trailers can be viewed as a wealth preservation asset. Further, loan interest can be written off as a vacation home mortgage if it has a bathroom.

Roger
Old 10-05-2006, 08:01 AM   #20

Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty Deluxe 17 ft / Honda Odyssey
Quote:
By buying a lightly used model with just 19,000 miles on it, the Merlas saved about a third off the $500,000 retail price of a new one. ($325,000 est)

A change of both heart and plans prompted the couple to put their RV on the market in May, after upping the odometer reading by only 20,000 miles. Unfortunately, the magazine ads they placed have yet to land a reasonable offer, and the eBay auction Merla posted last month, with a top bid of $144,000, fell short of the $179,000 reserve price she had set. "And it's going to be even harder when the 2007s come out and flood the market," she laments.
Let's see: $325,000 - $179,000 = $146,000 / 20,000 = $7.30 per mile.
Patrick M. is offline   Reply With Quote