RV Hall of Fame &Abe Lincoln Museum - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-02-2009, 12:17 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita
Hi,

Shirley and I just returned from a 2 week trip back East for family visits and weddings and stuff. I wanted to visit 3 museums but only made 2 of them and they were great.

I read about the RV Hall Of Fame, in Elkhart, Indiana and we felt it was really worth the time. http://www.rvmhhalloffame.org/ They have a new building up right next to the Tollway on the North side of Elkhart. A really nice collection of Rv's from the beginning to now. You can also visit some of the RV Surplus houses in Elkhart and find some things you need, too.

The new Abe Lincoln Museum & Library, in Springfield, Illinois was very much worth the time too. We spent about 3 hours in the museum and it's extremely well done. One thing I realized is the politics was just as dirty and mean and vicious 150 years ago as it is now. Kinda restored my faith and hope in the American Spirit. http://www.alplm.org/museum/museum.html

The Arabia Steamship Museum in Kansas City was on the list but we ran out of time and energy. Will catch it next time. http://www.1856.com/ It's a very fascinating story and result.

Just wanted to share these notes with you all and if anyone is interested in more info, PM me please.

EKW

Keith Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 02:46 PM   #2

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Keith, I have heard the Rv Hall of fame is really a great place to visit. I know several of our friends who's rv's are out of Elkhart so they have been thru it and really enjoyed it. Do you have any pic's from there? Robin
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 05:53 PM   #3

Trailer: Casita
Quote:
Keith, I have heard the Rv Hall of fame is really a great place to visit. I know several of our friends who's rv's are out of Elkhart so they have been thru it and really enjoyed it. Do you have any pic's from there? Robin
You know, I didn't take any pictures inside because I intended to buy one of their DVD's showing things, and then forgot to do it. I did take a couple pictures of the outside but that's no big deal. I can tell you that it is very interesting to see actual RV's starting in 1915 with a Model T and a beautifully restored custom built "trailer" and home made Pop-ups, and motorhomes, etc., all the way up to modern units. Really neat to see the progression. I hope you can make it their some day.

I hate flying into Midway Airport, but that or into Indianapolis or Detroit and then drive to it would be a quick way to see it. I'm sure one could order the DVD.

Sorry,

EKW
Keith Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 07:11 PM   #4

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Here's some photos from their website.......

http://www.rvmhhalloffame.org/rvhall.cfm