RV model names.... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2015, 06:32 PM   #1

Name: john
Trailer: Compact Junior
Michigan
RV model names....

Saw a lot of big RV's and motorhomes while on the road this weekend.

Some of the model names are pretty stupid.

One motorhome was named the "PROWLER".

Who would like to be known as a prowler?!

Saw another simply named "CARBON". Not sure what that was supposed to mean.

I've also seen "INTRUDER", honest!

But that might be pretty apropos for a big stinky motor home.

but my favorite goofy model name that I've seen is "INFERNO"!

Wonder what kind of salary these RV execs are drawing that come up with these names.
john madill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 06:46 PM   #2

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
My neighbor, a really nice guy, had an "intruder" for several years . Intruder is indeed a really dumb name and a few weeks ago I saw a motor home with another incredibly stupid name but I don't remember what it was. We should keep a list.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 06:46 PM   #3

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
That's just because the good names, like "Scamp" and "Eggcamper," were taken.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 08:01 PM   #4

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Apparently a lot of buyers don't think of these names as being inherently "Stupid". In the case of Prowler it has been around about as long as FGRV's and is still in business big time. Here's a clip from their page:

"Since its introduction in 1969, Prowler has sold more than 300,000 units and has accrued 45 years of RV experience. Prowler holds the distinguished title as the #1 selling RV of all time"

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 05:41 AM   #5

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
I've noticed that there a lot of new names from big companies. Do My son lives in Indianapolis so I pass through rv manufacturing country on the way there from Michigan. Coachmen, Jayco, and a few more. Do they think new names on existing models will make people run out and buy a new rv ? Quien sabe?
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 05:44 AM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Our neighbors just bought a 2001 Prowler hybrid. It is in really good condition too. Sadly, the more modern hybrids all seem to leak and Prowler doesn't make them anymore. Fleetwood sold Prowler to Heartland recently.

Names don't mean a lot. Prevost is kind of a stupid name but some how, if someone left one out front for me today without a payment book, I would not be complaining.

I am very happy for the neighbors since I know they have been wanting a smaller camper since we moved here 3 years ago and just found this one. They have one child about 5 years old and a small dog. They like to fish, hunt and such.

Whatever gets one out to enjoy what is out there, despite the name, works for me!
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 06:46 AM   #7

Names

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy P. View Post
Our neighbors just bought a 2001 Prowler hybrid. It is in really good condition too. Sadly, the more modern hybrids all seem to leak and Prowler doesn't make them anymore. Fleetwood sold Prowler to Heartland recently.

Names don't mean a lot. Prevost is kind of a stupid name but some how, if someone left one out front for me today without a payment book, I would not be complaining.

I am very happy for the neighbors since I know they have been wanting a smaller camper since we moved here 3 years ago and just found this one. They have one child about 5 years old and a small dog. They like to fish, hunt and such.

Whatever gets one out to enjoy what is out there, despite the name, works for me!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Eugene Prevost, who built his first coach in 1924, in Sainte Claire, Quebec, and his family, might not agree with your take on the family name any more than Louis Chevrolet's family would agree.....
Here's a link: History Highlights | Prevost

BTW: Prevost now is a wholly owned subsidiary of Volvo, it's name being Swedish for "I Roll"?

Old 07-06-2015, 06:53 AM   #8

Here is the list of FGRV's from our home page and most will agree that some of them are as non-sensical as those found on many motorhomes.
As in the case of Prevost, many carry the names of the company founder (Biggar?) And what's a BIOD or a Lander 401 or a UNIK? And why not have a Prowler, we have a Hunter to look for it? LOL
Amerigo
Aalite
Beachcomber
Biggar
Bigfoot
BIOD
Boler
Burro
Cadet
Captain
Casita

Cloud
Compact
Companion
Dolphin
Eagle
Eco
EggCamper
The Egg
Escape
Fiber Stream
Genesis

Geographic
Gypsy
Havasu
Hunter I
Lander 401
Liberty
Lil Snoozy
Lite House
Little Joe
Love Bug
Minit

Miti-Lite
MKPGrandesse
Northern Lite
Oliver
Oxygen
Parkliner
Perris Pacer
Play-Mor II
Play-Pac
Quantum
Scamp

Suntrek
Surfside
Tote 'n Tarry
Trail Mite
Trails West
Campster

Trailorboat
Trillium
U Haul
UNIK
Ventura
Willerby

Old 07-06-2015, 07:06 AM   #9

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB, 2004
Quebec
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Eugene Prevost, who built his first coach in 1924, and his family, might not agree with your take on the family name any more than Louis Chevrolet's family would agree.....
Here's a link: History Highlights | Prevost

BTW: Prevost now is a wholly owned subsidiary of Volvo, it's name being Swedish for "I Roll"?
It's probably Volvo who change the link:
https://www.prevostcar.com/content/heritage
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 07:22 AM   #10

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
My though is, what is in a name? Really? No different that the names we are given, they are just a label. Obviously though, with some names, like Intruder, not a lot of thought was given to the connotation of that name.

Prowler is not so bad. I would like to think I am on the "Prowl" when out with my trailer, searching for new things and experiences.

I actually much prefer the simplicity of how Escape, and a few other brands label models, 13, 15, 17, 19, 21 5.0, 5.0 TA, with a couple having A and B descriptors designating whether the bathroom option is included.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 07:52 AM   #11

The Prowler logo did not suggest a person with a mask at all:
https://www.google.com/search?q=Prow...w=1920&bih=954

Old 07-06-2015, 08:34 AM   #12

Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
To me, the really stupid names are for 30 foot, 5,000 pound trailers called things like "Micro-Lite" or "Jay Feather". I guess all things are relative, huh?
Terry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 08:43 AM   #13

I'd call those "Lite" related names more misleading advertising as the sales reps will use them to make a sale to uninformed buyers. It's just like the "Green" trailers, what ever that means.

Old 07-06-2015, 09:43 AM   #14

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
add "plug and play" to that list.....arrrrgh!

Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 09:55 AM   #15

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
My impression is that a lot of the toyhaulers carry graphics and names meant to evoke a "bad a##" image. As in, "let's get out there and tear up as much sand and dirt as possible, as fast as possible, 'cause I'm a bad dude..."

I think one named "Apocalypse" would sell quite well.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 09:57 AM   #16

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
I'd call those "Lite" related names more misleading advertising as the sales reps will use them to make a sale to uninformed buyers. It's just like the "Green" trailers, what ever that means.
"Green"? I have looked closely. Means they charge more and you feel better about it because it is "green" and good for the environment. The biggest issue I saw, other than the price tag, was that the materials have not passed any kind of test of time.

Also, with names, the bad thing is that they change them all the time which means when the unit you bought is a couple of years old, nobody recognizes the name. They are all doing this now pretty much. Stickies used to have 3 levels, entry, mid and the high end and you could kind of know what you were getting but not anymore. Information disappears from their website every time they come up with something new and you can't get parts or at least the color of replacement parts you need.

We had a nice Coleman we bought new. The shop threw the "extra" parts away after replacing the roof for the 2nd time. The "extra" parts were for a hanging cupboard and clothing rod. They said they could not get the grey ones because the unit was SO old. It was 4 years old.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 10:00 AM   #17

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
And, tow it with an Avalanche.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:24 AM   #18

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All... Does an Escape trailer towed by an Escape tug, mean you're having twice the fun?
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie:
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 10:54 AM   #19

Names

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
My impression is that a lot of the toyhaulers carry graphics and names meant to evoke a "bad a##" image. As in, "let's get out there and tear up as much sand and dirt as possible, as fast as possible, 'cause I'm a bad dude..."

Yep, with certain groups the Bad A$$ name is important and can usually be seen on larger trailers with a swing down back wall and a built in 50 gallon gas tank & gas pump for the quads. The, now defunk, "Rascal" trailers used to be built about 4 blocks from my house.