RV Organizations to Join - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-28-2012, 10:31 AM   #1

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2012 Lil Snoozy w Forester
Illinois
RV Organizations to Join

My thanks to all those who have offered their help and great advice as my wife and I began our FG RV hunt!

We just ordered a Lil snoozy. Now I need to get serious and start planning some trips. What organizations do you think are a must to join?

Escapee and Good Sam look like musts? I'll also become an America the Beautiful member being over 62. Any other thoughts or suggestions? Thanks much for all your help.
DavArl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:02 AM   #2

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Dave, congrat's on joining the small fiberglass world. I am sure you guys will enjoy it!

As far as "organizations" to belong to, frankly many people camp/travel without belonging to any. It's about finding what works best for your camping needs.

Good Sam, is ok for discounts and inexpensive enought to have for the times you run across a campground/rvpark that offers a good sam discount. Many privately owned campgrounds/rvparks are choosing to opt out of Good Sam, due to the cost of being able to offer you those discounts! And instead just offering their own or choosing not to raise their rates, rather than raise their rates in order to cover the cost of giving a discount . Private campgrounds/rvparks pay dealry to offer you a "good sam" discount........ If your camping plans seem to be in more in areas that are 12 months a year, then more than likely you will see more Good Sam discounts. If your camping plans tend to be in more seasonal destinations than "good sam" discounts may be fewer and farther between. But again, it's inexpensive enought to belong.

Escapee's, hmmmm is ok but more for the extended/full time rv'er! But some choose to join, because they do offer a lot offer as far as information, groups, etc........................

I got to run, I will try and thing of other "organizations" and come back and post thougths. But have to say, it's best for you to take the time to figure out your camping style and then from there figure out what oranizations will work best for your style.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:41 AM   #3

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
Congrats on ordering your Lil Snoozy. You must be very excited!
Here's a link on various clubs
http://www.frugal-rv-travel.com/RV-M...hip-Clubs.html
We've gotten good value from Good Sam. Can't say I've gotten my money's worth from Escapees, but we're not really that kind of travellers.
Enjoy,
Phil
Old 05-28-2012, 12:12 PM   #4

Great link of explanation Reeves! Cracks me up that the informations was gathered by a boondocker! Like boondocking cost anything to get a discount for. But glad to see the reason behind the education of paricular "organizations" Cause, yes boondocking isn't always available........

I will caution, since I haven't seen some of those "organizations". Be very careful when joining because some only get discounts at less desirable campgrounds/rvparks. Of course they get some of better rated, but often it's the struggling campground/rvpark that will join first to get campers in.

As orgnaizations become popular then the more desirable campgrounds/rvparks will join in giving discounts for organization members. Passport America is a perfect example. When they first started it was really iffy as to what type of campground/rvpark you where gonna find in their system. As they grew, they have gotten better quality campgrounds and parks.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:14 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
A lot of it depends on how you imagine you're going to be using your trailer. I don't belong to any because for me there's no value. We camp in National Parks and other federal areas. Once or twice a year we'll camp in a state park. Maybe once every 3 or 4 years in an RV Park/Resort (that's one night).
Here's why... The last two years we've been traveling for about 3 months each year, our average nightly cost is around $7.50 per night.

The best thing going is the Federal Senior Pass for those US citizens over 62. $10.00 for a life time pass gets you into National Parks with no further charges, camping at National Parks, National Forest campgrounds, BLM campgrounds, Corps of Engineers campgrounds at %50 of the normal nightly fee. Most of those fees are less than $20.00 per night.

On the other hand if you want the swimming pool, recreation room and etc. then an organization might be for you. Look at it carefully to determine the benefits vs cost suit you and your style. They're all a bit different, including locations.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:57 PM   #6

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2012 Lil Snoozy w Forester
Illinois
Thanks for the input. Sounds like I'll join Good Sams and wait till I get more experienced.

Dave
DavArl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:26 PM   #7

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Good Sam is also tied in with Camping World. We just ordered a Coleman Road Trip grill from Camping World that was on sale and got free shipping by using our Good Sam member number. One city park in GA gave a discount for either being a Good Sam member or a AAA member, we are both. We recently bought the Federal Senior pass, and it paid for itself the first day, half price in the campground and later free admission to the Wright museum on the Outer Banks.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:08 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile We belong to two

Welcome to FGRV!

We belong to Good Sam so we can camp with a local chapter of retirees that
go out during the week. We usually get the use of the clubhouse at the campgrounds we visit so we play games, work jigsaw puzzles, eat, and anything else we can think of. They offer a 10% discount.

BTW: Good Sam just raised their rates to $25 per year. If you are young enough, check out a life membership. Wednesday through Sunday there is a Samboree in Moses Lake, WA.

We also belong to Passport America. We bought our membership through Camping World and got a discount on a three year membership. They offer 50% off, but you can't expect them to provide a clubhouse and other amenites for those rates.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavArl View Post
Thanks for the input. Sounds like I'll join Good Sams and wait till I get more experienced.

Dave
I think you will be fine doing it that way! And save a lot of $$$$ as well........

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Good Sam is also tied in with Camping World. .
And Woodalls as well.....................
Old 05-28-2012, 10:25 PM   #10

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavArl View Post
Dave
If you have an AAA membership most places I have stayed at will give you the same rate they give Good Sams members...
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:09 PM   #11

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
My experience with Good Sam is they spend my dues to send me tons of junk mail. I really don't know how they manage to stay afloat. Maybe they didn't and that's why the "merged" with Camping World.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:40 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
My experience with Good Sam is they spend my dues to send me tons of junk mail. I really don't know how they manage to stay afloat.

Because they charge campgrounds/rvparks a ton of money to offer you a discount! They charge the camper/rv'er big bucks for their camping/rving guide.
I too wonder how they stay a float, but not for the same reason. Doing business with them is like doing business with the mob/first graders all lumped into one!

Maybe they didn't and that's why the "merged" with Camping World.

Good Sam's/Trailer life, Woodall's, Camping World have been together for years and years. They are all part of the Affinity Group