RV park requires pics before reservation - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-31-2017, 10:35 PM   #21

Name: J
Isle of Wight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian G. View Post
We called to make a 2-night reservation at an RV park near Austin. Since our little camper is more than 10 years old they required us to email pictures of all four sides before accepting a reservation. I find this amusing. It will be interesting to hear whether they have approved us.

Well that's odd. I've never seen a trailer with 4 sides.....
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 11:28 PM   #22

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
They are often looking for self-contained. They do not want dumping on the ground. I saw one place that would only take units of at least 24'. That rules out most units which are not self-contained.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 04:16 AM   #23

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
All kidding aside...the real reason campground do this is so someone doesn't bring a trailer in their park just to abandon it as "junk". I worked in campgrounds for the past 9 years and it's hard to believe but it does happen.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 05:12 AM   #24

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Registry
There is a big difference between a RV Park and a Campground.

In RV Parks no one ever comes "outside". They all have HUGH expensive RV's with hugh TV's and fireplaces. They are so far from what us normal people call camping.

I really don't even think they would notice if someone sneaks in with a small fiberglass camper.

Just my thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian G. View Post
We called to make a 2-night reservation at an RV park near Austin. Since our little camper is more than 10 years old they required us to email pictures of all four sides before accepting a reservation. I find this amusing. It will be interesting to hear whether they have approved us.
Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 06:58 AM   #25

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
wierd

I guess this rv park has the right to enforce weird we in turn have the right to not camp there.

I don't think my scamper 13f would fit in there anyway! No doubt the rates are sky high.

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 07:38 AM   #26

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I've seen a few RVs that probably qualify as health and safety hazards as well as eyesores. There was one decrepit motorhome at the last state park we visited that appeared to belong to a cat owing hoarder. Every window was visibly piled up with junk on the inside with cats perched on top. I can only imagine what conditions were like inside and the state of mechanical RV systems...

Some RV parks are indeed after the country club image. Others are just trying to protect their customers from (barely) rolling trash heaps. I wouldn't jump to any conclusions.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 07:55 AM   #27

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
We were once refused not because our trailer was too old but because out 23 ft 5th wheel was “too small to be able to attach to utilities.”
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 08:14 AM   #28

Name: David
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 1300
Cumberland, Indiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Y'all need to camp near/around Portland, Oregon... KEEP PORTLAND WEIRD! And we're dang proud of it.
"When the going get's weird, the weird turn Pro" - H.S. Thompson

Spanke
Old 11-01-2017, 08:51 AM   #29

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All... I've never been to Austin Tx. but I have worked at a "Holiday Inn". Here's a pic. of ours just incase!!!
Beauty is in the eye of the "Beer holder".
Alf S. N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1040198.jpg  
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 08:52 AM   #30
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I suggest that you check on line at Ulitmate Campgrounds. There's some pretty inexpensive campgrounds near Houston.
The OP is looking for a place near AUSTIN. Campgrounds near HOUSTON would be a 3 hour (maybe more) commute.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 08:56 AM   #31
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
We were once refused not because our trailer was too old but because out 23 ft 5th wheel was “too small to be able to attach to utilities.”
Now that's an interesting point. We have camped in RV Parks before where the utilities were difficult for us to reach - and were obviously designed for larger rigs. Shoot, we've had similar problems at Davis Mountains State Park.

Our 17' Casita was once refused a spot at a KOA in Glenwood Springs, Colorado. I wonder if the utility hookup was (at least part of) the reason...
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 09:01 AM   #32

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
We too have had trouble reaching the utility connection points, usually because we wished to set up further away, often when setting up communally with another RV. I now carry a 30A extension cord, an extra short water line, and a cheapo sewer line. I only ever connect the sewer line to dump, then stow it away to keep it out of the way. Sometimes I just dump after moving the trailer a bit on the way out if tanks are not too full.

These three spare items are stowed in a plastic container under a hard to access dinette seat as they actually rarely get used.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 09:13 AM   #33

Missouri
doo dads

looking at mary fs layout I love her camper by the way I wonder if those folks allow doodads outside?

bob
Old 11-01-2017, 09:44 AM   #34

Name: Dick
Trailer: '15 17' LD Casita and '17 Tahoe LT
Texas
I would be willing to bet that a lot of the "big rig guys" started out in a tent, pop-up, etc. sometime in their early years... We started out in a tent, then moved up to a pop-up and on to a Class C, then a Class A, back to a tent and now a Casita. The pop-up is still our favorite because of the way you can open it and feel like you are outside. We also used to sit in the bigger ones and not venture out much except for a campfire, etc. The Casita almost forces you outside. Love it!
dmad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 09:45 AM   #35

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
I can think of at least three times when we were able to procure a spot on short notice specifically because our rig was small and I'm sure there are more.

While the very reason to travel involves going outside the trailer, neither of us has suffered discomfort enough to feel forced to go outside.
At ScampCamps over the years though, we have felt compelled to be outside when we wanted to socialize. Nothing kills a rally more than cold or inclement weather even if we do feel snug and comfy inside our trailer.
That is one advantage of a bulgemobile, or often a good awning.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 09:48 AM   #36

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Now where is that picture of our 13 ft. scamp looking like it is behind and being towed by the 45 foot motor coach? Send the picture and let them assume the big one is us :-)

My mom made reservations for a big multi-household family camping trip out in Colorado. She was somewhat concerned that some parks might not like our 38 ft. school bus camper so for each reservation she specified that we had a Blue Bird School Bus Camper. International Harvester engine/chassis with body by Blue Bird, had the chrome logo above the door and manufacturers plate inside.

Park in Durango young guy behind the counter got upset when we pulled up, tried to tell my mom that she hadn't notified them and had not specified school bus. Besides Blue Bird didn't make school buses. My brother and I invited the fellow to join us in the parking lot where he could examine the vehicle and then come back and apologize for calling our mother a liar. He declined, might have had something to do with older brother an myself together weighed about 440 lbs. and either one of us could pick up our own weight and throw it into the back of a truck.

His mother showed up, read the copy of the reservation letter my mom had with her and we all stayed. I will say they had the cleanest restrooms I have ever seen in a camp ground.

And just for the record the bus looked pretty nice. That is my mom in the left foreground. Cheryl, myself and the kids, along with our dogs.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 09:58 AM   #37

Name: Steve
Trailer: Currently shopping
Texas
Forget the commercial places. Check out McKinney Falls State Park which is one the outer edge of Austin. Great place to camp and they won't care about the age or size of your trailer: https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/mckinney-falls
Smjayhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:03 AM   #38

Name: Tap
Trailer: 2015 17' Casita Independence, 2010 Escape 19’
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by tidewater View Post
Sure but in return ask for pictures of the manager(s) to see if you want to deal with these people.
Ding ding ding. We have a winner!
TappyGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:08 AM   #39

Missouri
your bus

well I like it I have a 40f eagle bus here also!

bob
Old 11-01-2017, 11:06 AM   #40

Name: Brian
Trailer: '73 & '74 Hunter
Oklahoma
Registry
Smile rejected

This morning the RV Park in question ($34 per night) advised my wife that our camper "does not meet criteria", thus declining our request to reserve a site for a 2-night stay. I think that's hilarious and it's been an interesting experience. We found a nearby state park that will have us. This evening I'll post you a picture of our rejected Hunter Compact II.
Brian G. is offline   Reply With Quote