RV Resort Memberships - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-09-2009, 07:38 AM   #1

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via MSN to christineb
Hello out there!
We're planning on an "Around the USA" trip next year and were wondering about buying a membership to an RV park system. The idea being saving money on overnight stays.
Has anyone had experience with these. I'm thinking of Thousand Trails/Naco for one. Also how about buying "used" memberships, how do they work?
Any information appreciated.
Christine
christineb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 08:33 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Fellow Oregonian! Christine, you may want to look into Escapees: Escapees RV Club. Once a member you'd receive a book of affiliate parks that offer discounts to Escapee members. Some offer great savings! Because you wouldn't be tethered to a particular club, you may find parks in areas of the country you wish to visit, rather where you have to go to stay.

BTW: I AM a member of Escapees, so I may be a bit biased. But I haven't heard from any other Escapee member that regretted the decision to join. Your mileage may vary. WHEN I retire, I plan on using the Escapee campground network to travel the country full-time. You're just starting ahead of me!

Keep us posted
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 08:46 AM   #3

Trailer: 2000 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
I have not used it yet but did spring for a Good Sam membership that cost just $12.00 for one year. I found a sale going on a short timer ago. That membership is supposed to give me some discount off of their affiliated camping places.

But, I did also spring for the RV Emergency Road Service insurance for breakdowns which covered both my tug & tow for $79.00/yr. I can repair some of the things myself that break but if I cannot, then I sure did not wish to leave my humble Casita abandoned alongside the road somewhere alone.
John Hussey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 04:03 PM   #4

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via MSN to christineb
Thank you Donna and John (BTW Donna, we met briefly at the Waterloo NOG........I'm the on with the English accent )
We already belong to Good Sam and have their road coverage, which, incidentally we used about 3 months after buying............the whole wheel of our 5th came off! Good Sam were EXCELLENT. Paid for everything including a huge flat bed to tow us.
Just trying to find out all options,
Christine
christineb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 04:57 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
CG memberships can be a good or bad thing and it mostly depends on how much one actually uses them, which in turn may depend on camping style.

They tend to be places where the BulgeMobiles gather (which are not the places I prefer to camp, so they don't work for me) but they also have stuf like full hookups.

If you look at their locations, and they are all near interstate highways, but you intend to travel the back roads, then they might not be very useful.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 10:19 PM   #6

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
I've belonged to Passport America for a long time now as well as Good Sam. Good Sam generally is just 10% off while Passport America is 50% off. There are limitations though. Generally not valid on Holiday weekends, plain old weekends and some are Summertime restrictions. It depends on the campground. Having said that, usually all you have to do is camp for about 2 nights at 1/2 price and you got your money back.

I am going to join Escapees and as a member Passport America will give you a $10 discount on their annual membership. Camping World has some affilication with CampClub which is very comparible to Passport America. I've never used them.

If I'm not mistaken Thousand Trails/Naco has a large sum buy into them. You can of course consider it an investment. Not my cup of tea.

I figure I'll have it all covered with Escapees, Passport America, Good Sam and of course my Golden Age Pass.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 12:09 AM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Hi Christine! We have not opted to join a membership park system because:

a - type & location do not appeal (as Pete stated)
b - waaaay too expensive, unless you get a terrific deal on a re-sale; but the membership meter runs forever ...

We belong to Escapees and Passport America. As Joy A said, coupled with our Geezer discount pass for National Park/Monument system, we're good to go. Three+ years on the road and no complaints! Take care & have a blast during your 'See America" year of travel. L 'n D
Old 05-10-2009, 07:07 AM   #8

Trailer: Casita
Joy, Any idea of what Escapees costs? I've heard good things about that club.
Did I read correctly in another post that you have a Vu=Cube? If so , how does it work. I parked next to you at a SW Fiberglass Gettogether in Pahrump a few years back. Dwain

Quote:
I've belonged to Passport
I am going to join Escapees and as a member Passport America will give you a $10 discount on their annual membership. Camping World has some affilication with CampClub which is very comparible to Passport America. I've never used them.
Dwain T is offline   Reply With Quote