RV's in the winter... where are they going? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-08-2009, 10:26 PM   #1

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I drove from Lynnwood, WA, to Fresno, CA over the last two days (just missed I5 closing) and was surprised how many RV's I saw, many of them trailers and 5th wheels rather than motorhomes. As I was heading south I mainly noticed those heading south. I was surprised because it has been lousy weather for awhile- I thought the folks who winter in the south would have been gone before December. Where are they all going?
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:37 PM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Quote:
I drove from Lynnwood, WA, to Fresno, CA over the last two days (just missed I5 closing) and was surprised how many RV's I saw, many of them trailers and 5th wheels rather than motorhomes. As I was heading south I mainly noticed those heading south. I was surprised because it has been lousy weather for awhile- I thought the folks who winter in the south would have been gone before December. Where are they all going?
Maybe these are the people who were staying home (because of fuel prices) and now are scared of the weather and making their escape........ Larry
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:55 PM   #3
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
I think lots of people stay home to be near family for "the holidays" and then head south, shortly after the new year... At least, that's been my experience when trying to make campground reservations in south Texas: you can get a site in December, up through New Year's Day. After that, forget it.

Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 05:59 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
My next door neighbors are snow birds. And do exactly as Mary suggested. They're leaving this next Monday for four months... going south. I'll see them again the first of May. They like being home for Christmas to be with their daughter and grandchildren.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 07:00 AM   #5

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
I totally agree that there are a lot of snowbirds headed down I-5 after Christmas. In my few trips I have noticed there are a large number of Canadians among them. Many are headed for the deserts of Southern California and Arizona.
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 10:14 AM   #6

Trailer: Casita
Quote:
They are probably doing the same thing I am doing next week. Changing elevations. I'm at a 40 degree daytime high elevation of 5250 ft here in kanab and I can drop down to las vegas 70 degrees at 2000 ft in about three hours. From there I will meander across AZ on my way to Organ Pipe NM, Kit Peak, and maybe Hobbs NM for some peppers! Yum.

Just so I can say it once here: when the sun is shining bright in the southwest winter desert it is one of the most beautiful places on earth.
ronsmith100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 06:06 PM   #7

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Speaking of NM peppers Ron, have you ever made it to Chimayo?
Not much there but a "miracle church" and a world renown New Mexican restaurant and the heart of the pepper harvest.

Looks like the restaurant had a fire, but will reopen in April.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 12:13 PM   #8

Trailer: Casita
Quote:
Looks like the restaurant had a fire, but will reopen in April.
It must have been the red ones. They get hot!

I'll look into that restaurant next time I go north.
ronsmith100 is offline   Reply With Quote