RV Shows - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2014, 07:40 AM   #1

Name: Ron & Judy
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
RV Shows

Hi,
Being new to the RV scene (just recently purchased a '73 Trillium) we were wondering if it's a good idea to attend these large RV shows that visit many cities to get ideas on accessories, outfitting, etc. We live a couple hours from Toronto and there are two shows this winter so we weren't sure if it's worth the travel to see or wether these shows focus mainly on selling big RV's, which we aren't interested in.
Thanks, Ron & Judy.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:08 AM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Hello Ron and Judy I'd stay away from the Rv shows as rarely there will be anything representing fiberglass trailers . I would instead try to attend egg fest in east Ont or bolerama near niagara where you'll find much information on these trailers and a fun time doing it
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:53 AM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Sometimes, but only sometimes, you can pick up ideas from other RV's and, again, sometimes, you can find accessories of interest at shows. Take a camera so you can steal ideas to take home for your FGRV.

But, in as much as 95% of what is at an RV show is dealer spaces, and FGRV builders use few dealers, don't expect much besides a few Pop-Up tent trailers and lots of "Lightweight" trailers, with the words like Feather & LITE & Compact worked intro their names, that start out weighing north of 4000 lbs, and that's empty.

It's usually worth going to one just to see what the dark side of RV'ing is up to, then go home and chuckle about how smart you are with an FGRV..

And, if you even THINK you want to buy one, there is a toll-free FGRV Intervention/Rescue line available somewhere....

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:39 AM   #4
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
When you camp you see lots of rigs and wonder what's inside. They beauty of the RV show is you can go inside as many as you wish without disturbing anyones space and if it's busy, without being hassled by a salesman. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:54 AM   #5

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Practically every accessory you can purchase at a rv show you can find on line at Amazon or Camping World. If you want to look at trailers, that is a different story.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:18 AM   #6

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
For us personally, we went to a RV show when we were looking.
Luckily a dealer was outside waiting on a specific customer but they
didn't show up so he gave us their tickets.

We got very tired looking at all the units. I think the Tab was the
only unit we would have been interested in. Really looks nice on
the web site, but being a ex-cabinet maker and upholsterer at LaZBoy
factory I knew it wasn't worth the price. cheap, cheap, cheap.

After agonizing over all the different FG models we finally wound up
with one that suits us.

Now I see the ads for an RV show and I think.
Naw, not worth the ticket price.

For ideas, I can spend hours and even days looking on this site
at what everyone is doing.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:02 AM   #7

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
At least on the west coast, the accessory displays at RV shows are usually much larger than seen at any dealer, a lot of newer and more unique items will show up, and prices are always, always, always better than Camping Worlds..... And, if you go towards the last days of a show, prices get real good so they don't have to cart stuff back to the shop.

That was very true at the last Pomona Show, but the "Tent" at the Quartzsite Show seems to cater only to the high end motorhome peeps. Street prices are much better at the local dealers in Quartzsite.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 12:48 PM   #8

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
We enjoy going to a show every few years, fun just looking and daydreaming. We do go early in the morning as they get crowded pretty quick which kind of spoils it. Other then a few conventional trailers and lately some truck campers, most everything is way too big for our tastes.
padlin00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 01:29 PM   #9

Name: Mark
Trailer: 1969 Boler (Flat Top)
British Columbia
Registry
As far as ingenuity and space saving IDEAS are concerned you'd be better off attending a boat show. Many of the products are interchangeable with the RV world. However anything with the word "marine" attached generally multiplies in price.
(#183)
WildBirder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 01:42 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
After paying for parking and admission, I'd be hard pressed to save any money on accessories at an RV show. Even Camping World would be cheaper.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 03:40 PM   #11

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
we usually attend the local one in march---not because we are looking to upsize, but mainly because it reinforces to us that our decision was an excellent one (to buy the outback). however, we do find it a way to bring hope that spring truly IS coming!!! that, alone, is worth the price of admission!!!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 05:16 PM   #12

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
I'll second the idea of going to a marine/boat show. If you ignore the ski and speed boats, you'll find all sorts of creative ideas on how to create and use small, functional, and elegant spaces. The hardware they use is another matter, as it can be very spendy, but often you can find similar or identical, less expensive hardware that's not packaged for marine use that does the same job.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:33 PM   #13

Name: Ron & Judy
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Great, thanks for all the input. I might check it out just to see what reno, space saving ideas I can get but it sounds like my best source is this site and our local egg fest.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:22 PM   #14

Trailer: Trillium Jubilee
Registry
We like to go to the big RV shows just for the amusement - fun to look at the big rigs, sometimes find a new useful product or two, and fantasize about touring in Roadtreks and how to attach a 60" flatscreen to the outside of our Trillium for tailgating.... plus, in February, people will do ANYTHING for entertainment.

We are the people in the Trillium Jubilee with the blue belly stripe... find us at Eggfest or Bolerama and say hello, and we will tell you everything we know. Don't worry, it won't take long!
Pat Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:39 PM   #15

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
RV shows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_Plaizier View Post
Hi,
Being new to the RV scene (just recently purchased a '73 Trillium) we were wondering if it's a good idea to attend these large RV shows that visit many cities to get ideas on accessories, outfitting, etc. We live a couple hours from Toronto and there are two shows this winter so we weren't sure if it's worth the travel to see or wether these shows focus mainly on selling big RV's, which we aren't interested in.
Thanks, Ron & Judy.
Ron you can visit my website to view parts for Molded Fiberglass RV's.
Chuck
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:49 PM   #16
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
We went to an RV show, saw nothing of real interest, and on the way back to the car were intrigued by a Casita sitting in the service lot with the door open. Had never heard of the brand. We were checking it out when a guy popped in and informed us he was the sales rep for a huge RV line, and the Casita we were standing in was his personal rig in which he traveled to shows and not for sale! A year later we owned a Casita.

Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:31 PM   #17

Name: Mary Ann
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13' Deluxe
Minnesota
I enjoy going to the shows just to see what's out there. The Duluth MN show is coming up. I will be going to it again this year. February 12-16, 2014
God's Country, Minnesota
Mary Ann in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:19 AM   #18

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
After we purchased our 1991 Scamp we attended the Scamp Camp at the suggestion of the seller. Walking around for a couple of days, even before we had completed the purchase, we came away with at least 50 ideas for improvements.

In my view attending any fiberglass rally provides more information than you can implement from fun, sharing people. We have now been to 6 fiberglass rallies, all over North America from Newfoundland to Oregon, and always gain fiberglass trailer knowledge.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:42 AM   #19
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Being open minded we always enjoyed going to the big Toronto RV shows. So much to see re the RV industry. Also checked out the London and Hamilton shows.
One of the highlights (if there is a seat available) is taking in the towing seminar hosted by Andy Thomson from Can AM. Well worth the price of admission.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:53 AM   #20

Name: Adrian
Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA
Manitoba
Ron

We went to the Toronto RV show at the International Centre near the airport last year, unfortunately it was before we knew anything about fibreglass trailers. I don't think it's worth the expense, especially if you have a two hour drive. The one thing I certainly noted about all the stick builds is the poor quality of cabinets compared to what I have since seen in FGRV's. That' one reason we are buying an Escape this year!

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote