RVing can work wonders. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-27-2014, 08:35 PM   #15

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Thom,

Thanks for the extended exercise routine. Good information.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 06:02 PM   #16

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Yeah well, it could be RVing, planking, hiking, etc., but I have another theory. I think sleeping in an “egg” has restorative and recuperative effects like some people attribute to pyramids.

Old 06-29-2014, 06:12 PM   #17

Florida
Tim,

We sleep well in our Scamp. I think there are a number of parts to sleeping well...the exercise of the lifestyle, the tendency to eat less and better, and the pressure-less days.

I think there's something special about the whole adventure of being on the road that is curative and can lead to a better life.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-29-2014, 06:28 PM   #18

Name: Melanie
Trailer: Lil Snoozy "Marigold"
Alabama
I seem to have a different perspective - maybe based on our inexperience in the RV area. To me what you refer to as "pressure-less days" is the exact opposite. Of course, there is not the former pressure of working a regular job for 40 years. But so far I find the camping business rather stressful in itself - pulling the Snoozy (although that fear is pretty much gone - it just trundles along behind us), choosing a campground (there are so many scary reviews out there), along with the pressure "to have fun" by finding stuff to do and places to see. It is much more peaceful to be at home with my familiar surroundings, gardens, etc. This RV business is mostly because my husband wants to do it and it is helping him transition from a high powered executive job to retirement. I guess I was the one who asked "what do you do" all that time on the road. Coming out of the working world, I seem to need a schedule to follow, tasks to complete, and checklists to manage. Even 3 years of retirement has not changed that. I know there are lots of museums, beautiful mountains, festivals, local interest sites, etc. But being on a perpetual vacation is a big challenge - I find myself trying to find chores to do in and around the camper, tending to the dog, etc. and not interacting with the other campers around me - my inclination is not to bother people. I guess I will have to work on all this - at least being retired means I have plenty of time to do nothing (at least nothing "important".
Old 06-30-2014, 07:26 AM   #19

Florida
Interesting

Very interesting post Melanie. Transitions are never easy. As well it's nice that you're supporting your husband's transition. This is similar to our case. Ginny would have never considered RVing. I recognized that time was running out and needed change. Ginny supported the change.

We have grown into RVing and developed a life around it, not dramatically different from when we first got married, building a new life together, away from the safe familiar surroundings of our families.

I know Ginny initially found all the new people a little difficult. She quickly realized that she was just as new to them and became outgoing in her approach, smiling and saying hi to everyone.

As to campgrounds we have now stayed at thousands of them and even the worst of them have not provided anything to fear. In 13 years we have not had a single problem. Of course there are campgrounds we've driven into and left.

Ginny and I both recognize that this life style is not for everyone, particularly for those of us where RVing is a late life change. Many RVers are lifers, camping or RVing all their lives, us like you were new to it. It has taken us awhile to develop a life in a trailer.

Personally we have found trailer life to be educational, teaching us in some measure what's important and what we really need to be happy.

The whole RV lifestyle reminds me of summers as a child, a time of doing whatever, whenever, a life of exploration, a life of independence.

Obviously this is not for everyone, or even for most, but I can insure you that it can be fun. I often refer to our travels as being like dating, in part looking for and creating fun times.

Melanie, thank you for your candor. I like reading your thoughts.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-30-2014, 07:55 AM   #20

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Change IS stressfull. And traveling is too. I like to have a plan, but leave plenty of time in the schedule for unforseen events. I am just starting out on the RV lifestyle as an adult (my folks had pickup campers and motorhomes) and am keeping to State Parks right now. I keep the driving to no more than 3 1/2 to 4 hours a day and stay at least two nights at each stop to make setting up worthwhile. Give it some time, and keep a good book (or several) to pass the time. I can read on the road as easily as at home.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:07 AM   #21

Florida
Tim,

We travel no more than 150 miles a day, typically 3-4 hours a day. The amount of time we stop is dependent on the place. As well we read a lot, carry e-books, have the Internet and Satellite TV.

We stay at all kinds of parks though our first choice is Escapee Parks, mainly to keep in touch with experienced full timers. On the even years we spend a lot of time in Florida, Florida has great state and county parks. On the odd years we travel all about the USA and Canada. Their will never be enough time to see it all.

Safe travels, Tim

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-30-2014, 11:27 AM   #22
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
A great topic Norm and thnxs for posting.

My years of aggressive mountain bike racing/riding and "age" LOL have taken it's toll on the back. Now dealing with bulging disc's/sciatica. If it wasn't for the types of ab exercises you have described I'm sure the issues would have shown up years earlier. Anyway I value the importance of the ad workouts and carry on with them. Hope your travels up here in Canada are going well.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:27 PM   #23

Name: Carl
Trailer: 1994 Scamp 16
Arkansas
RVing can work wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Tim,

We travel no more than 150 miles a day, typically 3-4 hours a day. The amount of time we stop is dependent on the place. As well we read a lot, carry e-books, have the Internet and Satellite TV.

We stay at all kinds of parks though our first choice is Escapee Parks, mainly to keep in touch with experienced full timers. On the even years we spend a lot of time in Florida, Florida has great state and county parks. On the odd years we travel all about the USA and Canada. Their will never be enough time to see it all.

Safe travels, Tim
Norm,
Thanks very much for all of your input on the forum!!! You have lots of wisdom and it shows! HA! I was wondering why you like Escapee Parks so much? What makes them so special?

Nut501
Old 06-30-2014, 12:29 PM   #24

Florida
W-
We lucked out on our trip to Newfoundland, there are record numbers of icebergs this year, the most in almost a century. Though we love the wonder of these kind of sights, the people of Newfoundland are amazingly friendly and the lives of the small communities at least as interesting as the icebergs.

In some sense going to Newfoundland is a 'going back', a return to another time. We are definitely 'from away', our accent gives us away. Like visiting Ireland, it takes a few minutes to sync up one's mind with their speech.

The use of words sometimes surprises. One woman was talking about lobsters and how she 'bathes' her lobsters for the winter. (bathes means cans)

For me, there's a peace at the end of Newfoundland's roads.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-30-2014, 12:51 PM   #25

Florida
Carl,

Escapees have a number of special attributes. It was started to support the travel of full timers. Gradually it added functionality for full timers. Since many full timers sell their homes and will eventually have to retire from the road, members gathered together to build a number of RV parks for their 'road retirement'. Escapees also provides us with a permanent legal address, mail services, a very good magazine.

After waiting 8 years we bought into one of these parks in Florida ($12,000 refundable when we leave) with monthly charges of $100 a month.

As well the Escapee organization has built an assisted living facility in Texas where RVers can go to recuperate or live when they can no longer travel and need the assistance. Escapees live in their rig and the charge is only about $600 a month, meals, laundry, rv cleaning, dumping, professional services all provided.

The parks are special because virtually all the members were travelers and have all kinds of good information to share but more importantly they are nice people.

I'm not saying it's perfect but it was a good attempt by two marvelous people, Kay and Joe Peterson. to create an organization for full timers.

If you go to Escapees.com you can purchase a number of their books, we did before we started our travels.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-30-2014, 12:52 PM   #26

Name: Josie&Craig
Trailer: Escape 21
South Carolina
Registry
Thanks, Norm for this thread. I love so much of what you say about how this lifestyle...and it IS exactly that...has benefited you and Ginny both physically and in your relationship. Finding "us" after years of raising our respective kids and the life changes we've been through otherwise is a real plus in doing this.

We are on our first long term....months...US trip and we are finally at 2 weeks finding the rhythm that works for us. We've done a few 6 and 7 hour days because of camping availability at this time of year in desirable locations. But, we tend to agree that 4 hour days work the best for us as well.

OY!!! Plank is much harder to do...correctly...than I imagined. 10 seconds...that was it and that was pushing it. I have work to do here. This is going to become daily for me until I can also do 30. I can feel how it will help my lower back and my biceps. Thank you.

Thank you also, Thom, for the links you provided. I can't wait to try this and get to work upgrading this short, round little body where at 2 - 3 mile hike doesn't feel like supreme torture. I got lazy over the winter and it's kicking my rump now that we're doing the "tour"...we're calling it a Madventure...so to speak.

Mrs. 2yax (Josie)

"Not all those who wander are lost." (J.R.R. Tolkein from Lord of the Rings..."Strider's Poem")
2yax2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 01:01 PM   #27

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Melanie, you sound a bit like my brother John. He retired about a dozen years ago, after a career in business that culminated as president of a cosmetics firm. To this day, he does not sit still. Every day is planned out in detail. He stays fit by walking several miles on most days, he watches his many investments, and he stays active in the business world as a member of several boards of directors of various firms. He vacations around the globe with his wife, plus he goes fishing and hunting alone and/or with buddies. At least once per year he tent camps in below-freezing weather, for the fun of it.

I'm not like that at all. I can sit around a campsite and watch the world go by for a while. Get up and take a walk or bike ride around the campground or on some trails. Sit some more and read a book. Relax. Think about where I'd like to sightsee next. Take a little drive, take some pictures, come back to the campsite and enjoy peace & quiet. BUT I could never envision my brother camping like this! He is always go, go, go. Some people are like that.

My wife won't go camping with me any more; she is a total home-body. All she wants to do is sit at home with her computer and the TV. Everybody is different.

By the way, like Norm and Ginny I do find that I get more exercise when out camping. I am walking and biking more than I otherwise would, and while I eat more I also lose weight as I tone up from the exercise.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 01:30 PM   #28

Name: Carl
Trailer: 1994 Scamp 16
Arkansas
Norm,
Thanks very much for the information about Escapee Parks. I will check them out. They sound like great places to visit! One other question, are they kind of like time shares or what?
Thanks again!

Tags
vin