RVing can work wonders. - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-30-2014, 01:44 PM   #29

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Different

Mike,

One advantage I had was my dad died at 45, I was 21. This told me I could die young. As a result I made a list of everything I wanted to do in life and was a super busy person until retirement. A corollary was I decided to do things in short stints (5 years), in my mind effectively leading more lives. As a result change is part of who I am. I absolutely love 'new'.

Leaping to RVing upon the death of my college room mate was easy for me, more difficult for Ginny. Fortunately for me Ginny has supported me through every change. She is a great person and the person I have tried to emulate (still not really good at it but conscious of trying).

As to RVing and eating, we do eat less. There is no stress eating, no business eating, less junk food eating.... we find since we're gone about 7 months that generally the on the road eating habits survive our stints at home. We really have changed.

I am less driven (but more driving) than when I worked.

Ginny reminds me that this is not for everyone. I try to tone it down when we spend time with non-RVing friends.

As to traveling alone, Ginny's sure I can not do it. She has told the kids that should something happen to her that they need to make sure I get a new navigator. I really can't imagine life without her smile.

I want to add that my Dad dying young was the greatest tragedy in my life. Though I expect his dying, in a sense was freeing, in a sense was a setting free.

Oh well...you all know I love life on the road.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 01:48 PM   #30

Florida
Craig and Josie,

Where are you headed?

As to planks, I do them until I quiver a little than hold it a few more seconds. Another way to get into planking is to do one in the morning and evening.

There's no rush about these things, Ginny and I have lost well over 100 lbs between us over our RVing years. We look at old pictures and laugh.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-30-2014, 01:56 PM   #31

Name: Josie&Craig
Trailer: Escape 21
South Carolina
Registry
Norm...we are currently in Page, AZ in the Glen Canyon area. We had hoped to do a slot canyon but the temps are over 100 and I can't deal with hiking through that even inna shade. (see red face here)

Tomorrow we are headed to Kanab, UT as a base for a week to do the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, Brice, Zion and what ever else we can fit in for a day trip. Then we'll head to Yellowstone...unless, of course, we head somewhere else.

Our ultimate goal is the Pacific somewhere in Oregon or Washington up to Vancouver, maybe back down here and back across country to the East Coast and New Jersey for our grandson's birthday in October. Then we'll head back down south in time for my sister's 60th birthday.

Funny....I wuz think' twice a day might be a good way to get into it...thanks for the nudge. It took me time to get this way...it'll take me time to get out of it. But, what else have I got to do with 10 seconds twice a day, eh?

Josie

"Not all those who wander are lost." (J.R.R. Tolkein from Lord of the Rings..."Strider's Poem")
2yax2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 02:03 PM   #32

Florida
Carl,

Escapee parks are not time shares in any way. If you're an Escapee you can stay in any Escapee Park (there are 20) that has space and they usually do. Our park has 3 levels of camping: boondocking $5, semi-serviced (W & E) $11, and full service ($15).

To purchase a site in our park you put $500 down (refundable upon request) and get on the list for a permanent spot. It took us 8 years to get to the top of the list. Once at the top you are offered a spot, cost about $12,000 (your original $500 is applied towards this purchase). If you no longer want the spot, it goes to the person on the top of the list and he pays you your $12,000 back.

You can live on the site all year if you choose. When you are not on your site they rent it out for you and 60% of the rental goes towards your monthly fees.

The monthly fees cover the cost of running the park - for water, taxes, grass cutting, heated swimming pool, wireless and sewer plant, ...... The park has a large club house, laundry, and library. The fees are about $100 a month. You are only responsible for electricity, (and optionally for phone or tv service).

Our park has green grass lots, the lot size varies but is at least 40x70, and wide, paved Palm lined streets. The miracle of it all is 125 couples, the original members, got together and built this park from the ground up some 25 years ago.

Glad to answer any other questions, Also don't hesitate to go to Escapees.com

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-30-2014, 02:16 PM   #33

Name: Carl
Trailer: 1994 Scamp 16
Arkansas
RVing can work wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Carl,

Escapee parks are not time shares in any way. If you're an Escapee you can stay in any Escapee Park (there are 20) that has space and they usually do. Our park has 3 levels of camping: boondocking $5, semi-serviced (W & E) $11, and full service ($15).

To purchase a site in our park you put $500 down (refundable upon request) and get on the list for a permanent spot. It took us 8 years to get to the top of the list. Once at the top you are offered a spot, cost about $12,000 (your original $500 is applied towards this purchase). If you no longer want the spot, it goes to the person on the top of the list and he pays you your $12,000 back.

You can live on the site all year if you choose. When you are not on your site they rent it out for you and 60% of the rental goes towards your monthly fees.

The monthly fees cover the cost of running the park - for water, taxes, grass cutting, heated swimming pool, wireless and sewer plant, ...... The park has a large club house, laundry, and library. The fees are about $100 a month. You are only responsible for electricity, (and optionally for phone or tv service).

Our park has green grass lots, the lot size varies but is at least 40x70, and wide, paved Palm lined streets. The miracle of it all is 125 couples, the original members, got together and built this park from the ground up some 25 years ago.

Glad to answer any other questions, Also don't hesitate to go to Escapees.com
Norm,
I will put Escapee Parks on my to do list and check them out! They sound great! Do you have any other words of wisdom about RVing?
Thanks for the input!
Old 06-30-2014, 02:54 PM   #34

Florida
Carl, We were 58 when we discovered Escapees. We joined because we hoped to get old (and now we are). There are or have been well over 100,000 escapee members, (couples are considered one member). It's a lot of people. Escapees typically have a logo with a red wagon with a house in the wagon. If you see one while camping don't hesitate to approach them.

As to other words of wisdom, we all have them. Little and big things we've learned through life, RVing is no different. For RVers I always suggest attending rallies. Once there be friendly and outgoing. Most everyone has something to share. Texas has some very good fiberglass rallies, some of the largest.

At our first fiberglass rally I came away with a long lists of things to do to improve my trailer and places to go to improve myself.

Safe travels,

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-30-2014, 03:08 PM   #35

Name: Carl
Trailer: 1994 Scamp 16
Arkansas
Norm,
Can you tell which rallies in Texas are good ones to attend? Will I be able to find them in this forum or where do I find the rallies? I plan on retiring at the end of this year. So, I am using this time to gather advice and wisdom about RVing!
Thanks for your help!!!!
Old 06-30-2014, 03:18 PM   #36

Florida
Carl,

The following is a link to the FRV map of rallies. This map can be found under the rallies in our forum.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...266&dg=feature

If you scroll down the list you'll see at least 3 Texas rallies. I've only been to one in TX but it was a hoot. If you look at the map you'll see there are rallies every where. Just click on the pin for a rally definition. Red ones have already happened.

There's a Scamp rally in FL in February that's also interesting. Really I've been to 5 or 6 and they are all have been good.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-30-2014, 06:09 PM   #37

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post

How does it feel to be surrounded by RVs 2 or 3 x your size?

Can you put up a tent along side your trailer?

Thanks
Old 06-30-2014, 07:02 PM   #38

Florida
By a tent along side our trailer I assume you mean attached to create another enclosed room.

We don't do it though I've seen others do it. We travel a lot, 7.5 months a year and have never had a day where we wished we had more room. That said, our children are adults and we have no pets. The reality is that outside of sleeping and evenings we don't spend that much time in the trailer, Generally we go to bed much earlier when traveling and get up early.

As to parking next to big rigs. We used to have one and belonged to a big rig club. On occasion we still go camping with them in our small rig. Inevitably they all want to see our rig.

In Newfoundland we were surrounded by big rigs. It simply doesn't bother us. We're getting 20+ mpg and they're getting 7. As well they tend to not travel as much as us because of operating costs. On top of us there are many places we go that they can't. We rarely see a big motorhome in one of Newfoundland's Provincial Parks.

I just realized that you're talking about Escapee Parks. You can have a Sunroom next to your trailer, not common but I've seen it. As well every lot comes with a shed. The limit in our park is 128 sq feet. Other Escapee parks allow even larger sheds, almost small home size. Each park has their own rules.

We are usually the smallest rig where ever we go. There are few people in our Escapee park that have not come to see our trailer. The people with larger rigs frequently leave them there for the summer. Many of then have considered purchasing one like ours for traveling back and forth. There are also a number of people who have small rigs for camping and travel back and forth.

If you go to Escapees.com there are links to each of the parks with pictures. They differ widely from the extravagant in Southern CA to the simple in TX. The prices match with a lot in S. CA $30,000 to Hondo, TX where the basic lot is $3,000.

Hope I finally got it right.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-01-2014, 10:51 AM   #39

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
How does it feel to be surrounded by RVs 2 or 3 x your size?
My wife and i full time in a luxurious 38ft fifth wheeler...Parked right next to it is our cute little 15ft fiberglass Parkliner. Certainly-consistently the tiniest rig in the RV/Golf Resort we stay at. The one people want to see inside?..The Parkliner

Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 11:06 AM   #40

Florida
Planked

My 13 year old grand niece Aimee is visiting and I asked her if she new what a plank was. She immediately did one and told me she won her grade competition for planking, 30 minutes. Yikes! It ended because the class ended.

Oh to be young.....

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-01-2014, 12:02 PM   #41

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by accrete View Post
My wife and i full time in a luxurious 38ft fifth wheeler...Parked right next to it is our cute little 15ft fiberglass Parkliner. Certainly-consistently the tiniest rig in the RV/Golf Resort we stay at. The one people want to see inside?..The Parkliner

Thom
With the height difference, that shouldn't be a problem!
Old 08-11-2014, 11:57 AM   #42

Florida
More Planks

My niece and her family are visiting this week. They are taking the AB Challenge, 30 days of increasing, sit ups, leg lifts, crunches and planks. After 10 days they are all substantially 'harder'. Very impressive, though not easy. Of course the hardest part is sticking to it. Pam is a real cheerleader type, always ready to lead her family into challenge.

They'll be here for a week so I hope it encourages me to a new challenge, though it certainly would be easier if I were their age.

Beyond our week guests we had other four other guests for dinner last night, one has a nerve problem. that causes a slight limp occasionally. He also plans to try Ginny's 30 second plank routine to see if it helps.

We are now 'plankers' for life, since it fixed Ginny, she's almost religious about it now.

Just a thought for you that are trying. I know it's not to much about RVing but for us, RVing has led to better health.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16

Tags
vin