RVing can work wonders. - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2014, 05:15 AM   #61

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Donna,

Weight relative to height is very important, Body Mass Index, BMI. I agree that BMI is a good indicator of health and walking is a good way to get there.

Calculate Your BMI - Standard BMI Calculator

One thing we like about Florida in the winter is that it's conducive to walking, really true of RVing in general.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 05:35 AM   #62

Florida
Insight

As a young engineer I found that when in the mist of technical challenges I would frequently go to bed with a tough problem and wake, sometimes during the night , with solution. It's always puzzled me how our brains never seem to cease working. Once I discovered this I always went to bed thinking about my problems and with a pad and pen beside my bed.

I woke this morning with an insight, recognizing why I've been exercising, exercising something we all realize we should probably do. The answer was simple for me. My comparatively young niece and her teen daughter and son, doing their August AB challenge on my living room floor showed me it could be done.

When you know it can be done you can do it.

I've now added an adjunct to my routine, I take a short 'Tony' each day. Tony is an 82 year old man in our Escapee park. He exercises every morning for 15 minutes and than walks a couple of loops of the park. Every noon time he takes a 'Tony', a nap from 12:30 to 1:30.

Tony also has another 'daily', every afternoon at 4 PM he has a glass of wine on the patio, anyone may stop by and join him and his wife. I'm not sure that it's the wine or friendliness that bolsters his life, maybe both. Tony and his ever present wife are two of my everyday models.

Through life it can be worthwhile to challenge our fixed ways, obviously there's always room for growth and improvement.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-30-2014, 08:07 AM   #63
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Biking and RVing went hand in hand with us.
Attached Thumbnails
bike ride.jpg  
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:11 AM   #64

Florida
Biking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
Biking and RVing went hand in hand with us.
I like biking as well. When in Florida I have a bike for buzzing around and better yet the swimming pool. Swimming is a great all body exercise.

In some measure it seems foolish to be focused on exercise at 72 but amazingly it's possible.

Wayne- Loving the Odyssey so far. The only negative is that it's huge, it's also a positive. Interestingly as wide as the Scamp.

Fall is upon us here, it's a season that for me has a calming influence. It also means it's time to get the Scamp road ready. Even Ginny's ready for the road.....

Safe biking.......

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-30-2014, 09:16 AM   #65

Florida
Here's one for the bikers

McDowell Mountain Regional Park

Parks & Recreation - Maricopa County

I recall that they have 59 miles of trails over some 40 sq uare miles.. Trails fall into different categories, bikes, hikes and horses. They also have a huge dirt bike course.

They have large serviced sites and a lot of scattered non service sites.

This is a great public campground, particularly for hikers and bikers.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-30-2014, 11:48 AM   #66

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
In some measure it seems foolish to be focused on exercise at 72 but amazingly it's possible....
Not at all foolish! When young, the body is more resilient and can adjust to a lack of exercise without the bad consequences being as dramatic or immediate. When older, lack of exercise can be devastating. Think of anyone you knew in their 80s or 90s who seemed reasonably fit and healthy, but who suffered an injury and became sedentary or even bedridden; I suspect that person only lived a relatively short time after the event. The sedentary body goes downhill more quickly when older.

I like to joke about sitting around and letting someone or something exercise for me, but truthfully I do a fair bit of rapid walking, bending, lifting, etc in my line of work. It's summer vacation that gets me out of shape, unless I go camping (where I love to walk the trails). Sooner or later I'll need to stop being lazy around the house during summer break, for my own good. (But I'm still a young sprout, at 56.)
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 02:58 PM   #67

Florida
Taking a Tony

I earlier wrote about 'Tony' an Escapee friend who fulled time for 14 years. As a reminder Tony takes a nap every day after lunch.

I've found with my increased exercise routine I'm daily napping as well. I looked up the benefits of napping.

"One study followed 23,861 healthy men and women for 6 years found that those that napped at least three times a week had a 37% lower risk of dying from heart disease."

Tony should live forever.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-19-2014, 05:16 PM   #68

Name: Marky
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Quote:
I earlier wrote about 'Tony' an Escapee friend who fulled time for 14 years. As a reminder Tony takes a nap every day after lunch.

I've found with my increased exercise routine I'm daily napping as well. I looked up the benefits of napping.

"One study followed 23,861 healthy men and women for 6 years found that those that napped at least three times a week had a 37% lower risk of dying from heart disease."

Tony should live forever.

I need to tell my boss about this Norman! Lol

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
MarkyVasquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 05:37 PM   #69

Florida
I'll look up napping and working. I bet there are studies on that as well.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-05-2014, 04:13 AM   #70

Florida
More Exercise Thoughts

I'm still at it doing 50 reps of the old favorites plus gradually adding new exercises. I usually wake before Ginny and while lying in bed realized that I no longer wake up with a sore right hip which used to happen about a 1/3rd of the time. I don't know if it's disappeared because I'm exercising but possibly.

Ginny thinks I'm being obsessive about exercising, possibly so. Doing things like 25 push ups against the kitchen counter while waiting for the toast to pop up. Since I wake before Ginny and don't want to disturb her I'll do some side leg lifts in bed and 50 light planks trying to lift my butt off the bed by stiffening my body from heels to shoulders. Somehow it's all become fun and I'm not sure why.

I believe in this thread I and others wrote about Vitamin D. Yesterday I looked up Vitamin D and ADHD on the Internet. It turns out that most ADHD children have lower than normal Vitamin D levels. Is it a Cause or Effect?

Multiple studies show that ADHD levels are dramatically lower in the Southwest where the amount of sunlight is the highest. It definitely makes one wonder.

The Internet is a wonder, just loaded with stuff you don't know.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-05-2014, 06:50 AM   #71
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
I like biking as well. When in Florida I have a bike for buzzing around and better yet the swimming pool. Swimming is a great all body exercise.
For sure Norm. I belong to the Y here in town and do laps 3 times a week. All part of an exercise regiment to stay in shape for the bike racing. Unfortunately lower disc problems (sciatica) has put a stop to the racing but the swimming continues.
Old 10-05-2014, 07:12 AM   #72

Florida
Wayne,

Just a reminder... Ginny had a sciatica type problem that made it almost impossible for her to walk, resolved by her daily 30 second plank after 6 weeks. Please know I'm not a doctor but reporting what worked for Ginnny.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-05-2014, 08:42 AM   #73
MC1

Ontario
I had the opposite exer program Norn. Walking (actually limping) up and down the street many times a day seemed to help with the pain. It lasted 4 months during the past winter. Much better now but can't lift more than 20lbs.
Old 10-05-2014, 11:42 AM   #74

Florida
We're also walkers, one of the reasons Ginny likes Florida, warm and flat.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-21-2015, 07:06 PM   #75

Florida
RV Health Thought

Part of the reason for us RVing was the sudden recognition that life was short. We have become healthier on the road.

We continually try to improve our health and are really conscious about our health. However compared to many on the site who've always been athletic and outdoors we have a way to go and mostly will not reach the state of the life long RVers/campers.

I read an article that said if you are obese the probability of you reaching a normal weight and staying there is about 2%. One unfortunate aspect of the word obese is they always show people who are morbidly obese, a catagory way beyond normal obese. This allowed people like me to look in the mirror and say I'm not obese. By definition I was.

After loosing 60+ lbs I have made the normal range. I've decided I want to get in the middle of the normal range, to give me some safety margin.

My approach along with the planks and the exercise is to add regular fasting to my plan. I plan to fast from food one day a week. I've done it for one week. It's amazing that it carries over. The second day I just wasn't as hungry as normal and ate dramatically less. It's fun to try something new.

We'll be 73 next month. This week we helped our son move. He really had heavy furniture. At the end of the first day I said to Ginny "I'm really old".

I will not be going in to the moving and storage business... maybe I'm getting too light.

Bless you all

(I thought of that closing because Ginny mentioned one thing that surprised her about being in the South is that store clerks will sometimes say "Have a blessed day".)

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-26-2015, 07:09 AM   #76

Name: Marky
Trailer: Casita
Texas
I just found this article on MSN Norm. Just proves everything you've always said.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/arti...vel/ar-AAdln7N

Sent from my Z987 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
MarkyVasquez is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vin