RVing not down this summer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-14-2009, 08:17 AM   #1

Trailer: Casita
The nice thing about a small town is getting to know everyone... including the highway patrol guy who is building a house near me. I met him at the lumber store yesterday and small talk led to, "how's the economy effecting vacation travel"? His response:

"It is really busy out there this year as compared to last year".

We live at a crossroads here: South to the Grand canyon. North to Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef. West to Lake Powell. So the summers are usually heavy with RVs.

I have personally noted what I think is more eggs this year than any year so far. Totally non-scientific observation. Just my view right now.

I was at the crossroads in town and counted eight eggs going buy. Too Many to list here.

Are they becoming more popular with the economy and gas prices?
ronsmith100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 08:56 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
The nice thing about a small town is getting to know everyone... including the highway patrol guy who is building a house near me. I met him at the lumber store yesterday and small talk led to, "how's the economy effecting vacation travel"? His response:

"It is really busy out there this year as compared to last year".

We live at a crossroads here: South to the Grand canyon. North to Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef. West to Lake Powell. So the summers are usually heavy with RVs.

I have personally noted what I think is more eggs this year than any year so far. Totally non-scientific observation. Just my view right now.

I was at the crossroads in town and counted eight eggs going buy. Too Many to list here.

Are they becoming more popular with the economy and gas prices?

I was in Rice last month. It was busy there.
On one of the Casita forums there is a link to Oliver noting that they will be shutting down until January.
genebland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:06 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
We've discussed the Oliver shutdown here too: Oliver going idle for a while. I really hope they resume production. Competition between the manufacturers is what makes them ALL better, in my humble opinion. And even though the Oliver is at the top for purchase price, there are those buyers who are looking for what they offer.

What really surprises me, is there's been absolutely no discussion about the company going idle on the Oliver Forum.

Everyone needs to take a vacation from work, home and other mental responsibilities. I can see where camping is full-filling that niche and am not surprised it's actually picking up in popularity (again).
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:19 AM   #4

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Escape
Registry
Many people with an RV in their driveway are very likely to use it in a year with tight money. In a better year, they might leave the RV at home and fly to their vacation destination.

Especially if their RV has reasonable fuel efficiency.

Ron
Ron Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:47 AM   #5

Trailer: Bigfoot Rear Queen 25 ft
Unfortunately, fuel costs are rising sharply and it is anticipated by *experts* that Canadians will be paying 1.30- 1.40 per liter by July and the US will be paying 3.50 + per gal. as well.

Even a .20 increase per gal. in fuel may kill off any ambitious plans to travel by RV. Perhaps a lot of camping close to home?
Time K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 10:01 AM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Unfortunately, fuel costs are rising sharply and it is anticipated by *experts* that Canadians will be paying 1.30- 1.40 per liter by July and the US will be paying 3.50 + per gal. as well.

Even a .20 increase per gal. in fuel may kill off any ambitious plans to travel by RV. Perhaps a lot of camping close to home?
I paid that price last year for Diesel fuel. This year so far fuel prices for diesel are under the dollar mark.

The people in my area are still buying big RVs and big trucks to pull them. I will admit that up here we can camp in many places that are reasonably close to home and free.

In May I was on the road for two weeks. I did not see too many trailers on the road. Those I did see were all big units.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:36 PM   #7

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Thought I'd stop in a say hello.

Although I'm the host of the Bluebonnet Rally down here in Texas, I wasn't able to attend this year. But, the rally was great according from all the feedback I've received. With the economy in the tank, I expected a relatively low turnout, however the RV park said they had 127 trailer register. That's the largest Bluebonnet that I'm aware of. (This was our 4th year as host.)

However, I'm currently staying at Gulf Coast RV Resort in Beaumont, TX. When I arrived in mid November, there was hardly any spaces available anywhere in town, mainly due to construction work, rebuilding after Hurricane Ike. Now, the park only looks like it's half full. Their daily rates are relatively high at $35/night so folks may be staying at less expensive parks as they pass through. (I'm on a monthly rate.)

My work will finish up July 15th and they'll have another vacancy here.

Brad
BradBev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 08:03 PM   #8

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
We were amazed at the campground we went to last weekend...it was almost empty. It's a forest service campground that is used by motorcycle riders for the trail system in the area. No camp host and only about 20 of the 72 sites taken. It's usually almost full by mid June weekends.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:00 PM   #9

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Escape ('Turtle')
Registry
Well people are camping in Washington! Just try to find a reservation in a state park! We prefer less developed sites but since we want to do some 3 day mid-summer camping this year & aren't willing to drive to a first come campground and find it filled, I've been on the state parks web site - weekends full, and many weekdays except for one nighters.

Just an observation, the Olympic Peninsula is a camping vacation spot so there are always some, but Mike is on the road a lot and has seen more small trailers, molded fiiberglass and tent trailers, and less big RVs this year. I agree with above remarks, folks with any kind of econo trailer are likely to use them this summer and not venture far due to gas prices. The state park we stayed in two weekends ago was full but only one big RV, us, a tent trailer, even the volunteer host had a small trailer, the rest were tenters.

Enjoy our travel photos at: Turtle Travels
Penney H. & Mike E. is offline   Reply With Quote