Ryder Alaska Trip Update - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-10-2012, 01:16 PM   #1

Name: Becky
Trailer: Scamp 19 Foot 5th Wheel
Mississippi
Ryder Alaska Trip Update

For those of you who have been following my blog or who are interested in it:

I have updated our blog, adding pictures to previous entries. If you click on the “older posts” button or start at the beginning, you will see what I’ve added.

http://ryderrunsandrants.blogspot.ca/2012_07_01_archive.html

On another note, we have finally come up with a workable sleeping arrangement for our 5th wheel Scamp. What we are doing is each night we convert the sofa to bunk and take the bottom bunk pad and put it on the top bunk pad. Then we take one of the back dining pads (not the one you sit on) and we put that on top of the bunk pad. It bings everything up to level with the bed. We sleep side by side with our heads at the end of the trailer. On the actual bed, I have a couple of high loft mattress pads. On that I have a queen fleece fitted sheet. My husband and I each have a fleece sheet that we wrap ourselves in (individually) and then we share another blanket as needed. My husband is 6’2” and he really needed the extra room that this arrangement provides.

So far, this is working very well for us. The only problems are getting up into the area and back down, and making the bed after washing the bedding. We are still agile enough that to get up and down, we place a foot on the lower bunk and then simply climb up. The process is reversed when getting down, except that we can brace ourselves by placing a hand on a cabinet, etc.

We are having a wonderful trip, with our only problem being that the furnace quit working three weeks ago. We have an electric space heater, but we like to boon dock and the temps have be as low as 38 degrees. The furnace is under warranty and we have finally found someone to look at it tomorrow.
beckyruns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:12 PM   #2

Name: Neil
Trailer: Boler
California
Registry
What type of furnace do you have?
nlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:25 AM   #3

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
May have passed you around Whitecourt AB. Either that or there are 2 Scamp 5th wheels heading to Alaska.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post316265
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:50 PM   #4

Mississippi
Alaska 5th wheels

Actually, we have seen one other Scamp 5th wheel. I can't recall if it was in Canada or Alaska. It was very old and looked in need of restoration. The person pulling it went flying past us but later we saw them on the side of the road.

Here in Alaska, we have seen only a couple of Scamps but lots of Casitas.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:25 PM   #5

Trailer: Casita
Hi Becky,
We're here, too, in our Escape fifth wheel. Currently in Haines, leaving for Sitka tonight. We'll watch for you.
Marv
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:37 PM   #6

Mississippi
In Valdez, Ak

We are now in Valdez, AK. Last night we stayed at Squirrel River State Park which is about 80 miles North of Valdez. As my husband was riding his Cattrike on the highway, he can within 30 yards of a grizzly bear attempting to cross the road. The bear rearer up and my husband thought it was coming after him, but it turned and ran back into the woods. Needless to say, it scared the heck out of my husband.

This morning about 30 miles North of Valdez we met a fairly new Scamp 5th wheel.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:16 PM   #7

Name: chad
Trailer: 1975 Scamp- Super Cozy Ambulatory Mega Party, 1980 Boler B1500 15'
Alaska
Registry
I'll keep an eye out for ya when you come back through Anchorage. Glad you're having a good time here!
AKSCAMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:38 PM   #8

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
You must have been the one I saw near Whitecourt last month because it had a recumbent trike strapped to its butt
Attached Thumbnails
scamp.jpg  
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote