Sad day - Good by to the Scamp - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2016, 07:33 PM   #21

Name: Sara
Trailer: I'm now married to a 16 Foot 93 Scamp!
Florida
Carol,
I bought a prevously-loved Scamp 2 weeks ago. My budget did not accommodate a new one. I feel so fortunate and blessed that my previously-loved scamp was available and I do understand that your Scamp will be missed and now cherished by someone like me.
Your excitement over your newer and bigger trailer is contagious and my wish for you is that you continue on your path to the creation of new events, experiences and joyous memories in your new camper! Thanks to individuals like you, those of us that have dreams, find that sometimes our own dreams do come true. Warm regards,
Sara
Old 05-11-2016, 08:23 PM   #22

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
In the Airstream World it is *all* about rivets, although not pop-rivets. !
Actually my pop rivets & gun will come in handy there are a number of places inside the trailer particularly in the bathroom area where they are used with snap cap holders and snap caps just like my scamp's!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 06:16 PM   #23

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
If you start to miss us you can always sand all that aluminium and paint the trailer white. Then you will have the best of both worlds. There's no retirement with polished aluminium. Especially on the Mexican coast. Happy Trails.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 06:22 PM   #24

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
If you start to miss us you can always sand all that aluminium and paint the trailer white. Then you will have the best of both worlds. There's no retirement with polished aluminium. Especially on the Mexican coast. Happy Trails.
LOL Polishing was the #1 reason I did not go with a vintage one....which is what I originally was trying to find. The newer model years all have a clear coat. Actually easier to keep shiny than fibreglass.
Old 05-17-2016, 03:43 AM   #25
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Carol, I always figured you to be an Escape kind of gal. An Airstream sounds like the next best thing short of winning the lottery. The memories come from the places we go and the folks we meet. Our campers are just a means to that end. Enjoy the new adventure. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 06:59 AM   #26

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Congrats on your Airstream adventure Carol! You're going to really enjoy it. I went the other way... from fiberglass trailers to Airstreams (for twenty years,) back to fiberglass trailers and now onto fiberglass motorhomes...

It's not so much about what you're camping in as it is that a) you're out enjoying the world, and b) that you're comfortable; both at the destination and while you're getting there.

BTW, the Thirteenth Midwest Airforums Rally is happening in June at Moraine View State Park in LeRoy IL... c'mon down! I think site P22 is still open on the loop. I've attended most of them, even though I sold my last Airstream in 2006 when I bought my Bigfoot 25. They still tolerate me. it's a great time!
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 10:58 AM   #27

Registry
Thanks Raz and Rodger.

Raz, Yes I always thought the Scamp would turn into an Escape as well! In the lead up to partners retirement there was about a year and half of deliberations as to what trailer we could both be happy with. Some times life takes you down a different road than you thought you where taking ;-) LOL

Rodger: Picked up a used one in Napa in the late winter that had been stored in a climate controlled building at a winery since new. Serviced yearly by an independent AS repair shop since new as well, so they were able to give me a full run down on what had been done to it in its 10 year life time as well as a list of what they felt it was needing in regards to maintaince in the near feature. Previous owner had them do lots of updates and additions over the years and they had actually just had it in for wheel bearing servicing and new fridge and two new 6V batteries, a few weeks prior to my purchasing & provided a list of items that they felt should in the near future have some maintenance done. Did talk to the repair shop prior to purchase as well as go into the shop with the trailer before leaving the area. They were nice enough to walk through the items with me. Nothing to serious - the biggest being they felt all the roof items where due for resealing although it shows no signs currently leaking. They were able to tell me what items they had previously replaced or updated. So thankfully not many questions or surprises about its history etc which made the purchase a bit more comfortable. He had about a dozen AS in the shop of various ages, in for various repairs - some in for minor items, some vintage ones in for total rebuild as well. Clearly the go to AS guy in that area. I felt pretty comfortable talking to them about possible issues, than I suspect I would have at a dealer. Also more comfortable going with gentle used rather than new, on the chance I really do not like it after a year or two of test towing :-) Really hoping I did not make to big of a mistake though.

Thanks also for invite to rally, current time priority is finding a place to live but once that is settled will for sure make a point of checking out some of the AS rallies.
Old 05-17-2016, 11:12 AM   #28

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
WHAT??????????

you bought a used trailer (in a foreign country no less!) and it didn't come with surprises, horror stories and carefully hidden problems?????????????

Geez, you missed out on half the fun and adventure, didn't ya ????

Better luck next time...........LOL
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 11:38 AM   #29

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franswa View Post
you bought a used trailer (in a foreign country no less!) and it didn't come with surprises, horror stories and carefully hidden problems?????????????

Geez, you missed out on half the fun and adventure, didn't ya ????

Better luck next time...........LOL
Yup the second trailer I have purchase used sight unseen in a foreign county without any problems either with the state of trailer or getting it cleared through customs into the great white north!!

And funny enough both where new enough I had to go through the full RIVA import process and inspection!

Done the same with a brand new car as well when the dealers still allowed warranty transfer between US/Canada.

How unlucky is that!

Only down side is/was with both trailers was the having to run to the bank fast and have a deposit wired and then jump in the vehicle and take the long drive of a couple of days with few stops to get there before the seller decided to sell it to someone else due to a better offer.
Old 05-17-2016, 04:02 PM   #30

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Thanks Rodger.

Rodger: Picked up a used one in Napa in the late winter that had been stored in a climate controlled building at a winery since new. Serviced yearly by an independent AS repair shop since new as well, so they were able to give me a full run down on what had been done to it in its 10 year life time as well as a list of what they felt it was needing in regards to maintaince in the near feature. Previous owner had them do lots of updates and additions over the years and they had actually just had it in for wheel bearing servicing and new fridge and two new 6V batteries, a few weeks prior to my purchasing & provided a list of items that they felt should in the near future have some maintenance done. Did talk to the repair shop prior to purchase as well as go into the shop with the trailer before leaving the area. They were nice enough to walk through the items with me. Nothing to serious - the biggest being they felt all the roof items where due for resealing although it shows no signs currently leaking. They were able to tell me what items they had previously replaced or updated. So thankfully not many questions or surprises about its history etc which made the purchase a bit more comfortable. He had about a dozen AS in the shop of various ages, in for various repairs - some in for minor items, some vintage ones in for total rebuild as well. Clearly the go to AS guy in that area. I felt pretty comfortable talking to them about possible issues, than I suspect I would have at a dealer. Also more comfortable going with gentle used rather than new, on the chance I really do not like it after a year or two of test towing :-) Really hoping I did not make to big of a mistake though.

Thanks also for invite to rally, current time priority is finding a place to live but once that is settled will for sure make a point of checking out some of the AS rallies.
It sounds like you scored! The other plus about going with gentle used rather than new is that someone else ate a TON of depreciation that you don't have to factor into YOUR cost of ownership.

You'll enjoy your Airstream. As I said, I had them for twenty years before I got tired of the maintenance on them. They're still very classy, but like grandchildren, I'm in a place now that I can visit my friends who have them, and enjoy them a lot more because they're someone else's to take care of.

Honestly, after almost ten years with my Bigfoot 25, I was about to go Airstream shopping again when I went to the '14 Midwest Rally and was reminded of all of the issues my friends were having... and remembered why I'd bought the 25' Bigfoot and sold the AS 34 tri-axle way back when to begin with. And then I was fortunate enough to have found the motorhome I'd lusted after since I saw THEM new ten years ago.

It's all good. Just get used to a whole different group of folks wanting to come and look inside your Airstream. It's fun, really.
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 05:07 PM   #31

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger H View Post
It sounds like you scored! The other plus about going with gentle used rather than new is that someone else ate a TON of depreciation that you don't have to factor into YOUR cost of ownership.
Only time will tell but thanks!

Yes to your comment re the depreciation factor. #1 Reason for going used (was aware that it probable would not increase in value over the next 10 years as my Scamp did). LOL Best to test the waters as to how much I liked or did not like the new level of maintaining and extra costs with one that had already taken a fairly big hit in that regard.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:16 PM   #32

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
The good news is that Carol has gone over to the Shiny side.

Much better than going to the dark side of stickies.

Happy Camping.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 07:20 PM   #33

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Shiny and flush rivets!
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 02:17 PM   #34

Name: Michael
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B25RQ
BC
Quote:
Nope the purchase of the truck was not part of the bigger trailer plan. But my little truck is most probable going to become one with a bit more power and better MPG's shortly in order to better fit the new trailer.. its MPG's around the city have never been great and its REALLY bad pulling the new trailer - even though it still under its tow rating. 21L/100 on a trip up the California coast highway recently.

A bigger trailer had been the plan for awhile. Just took awhile to agree on a trailer layout my partner and i would both be happy with. Partner recently retired so can now take the trailer and park it on the beach in Mexico for a few months each winter. Loved the Scamp but over time found it did not work as well as we would like on trips of longer duration. Great if it was just me, not so great for two people. Having sold the house it looks like we may be building a new home on Vancouver Island so may need a place to live while doing that. Hope we don't end up living in the trailer ... but its an option at least. It will also make a great guest cabin at the beach house so we can build a smaller home with one less bedroom

Yup you have a great AS dealer, has been helpful in advising me on improving WDH set up on current truck - or as he says "the best he can given the particular truck I have" seems he doesnt feel its the best match either & not just in terms of MPG's.
Wishing you all the best in your lifestyle changes. What got my attention is what I've highlighted. Having just built a home, staging in our trailer was an option, well I thought might be an option, during the construction phase. We didn't in the end, and that was a good move on our part. So many variables crop up when building a home. There will be delays and 6 months can quickly turn into 16 months, and that's a mighty long time to live in 22-25 feet. This is an extremely busy time for tradespeople in BC and there are long, long waits for the good ones and you don't want to settle for the ones that are available right away. There's a reason they're available lol.... Anyway, thought I'd share....best of luck once again.
mike_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 10:04 AM   #35

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_bc View Post
What got my attention is what I've highlighted. Having just built a home, staging in our trailer was an option, well I thought might be an option, during the construction phase. We didn't in the end, and that was a good move on our part. So many variables crop up when building a home. There will be delays and 6 months can quickly turn into 16 months, and that's a mighty long time to live in 22-25 feet. This is an extremely busy time for tradespeople in BC and there are long, long waits for the good ones and you don't want to settle for the ones that are available right away. .
Thanks Mike. Having done some renovating and been involved in new home builds I am aware of the time factor issues and as well as the trades issues. Never goes as planned. If building new will look for a rental home for a year & half or so.... using the trailer only as a fall back for any time over runs which hopefully would be not more than a month or two! Having spent over 100 nights one year in a 16' Scamp I think I can live with that in a 22' +. Of course my real wish is to find the perfect house already built.

She says with great optimization
Old 05-22-2016, 05:45 PM   #36

Name: Michael
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B25RQ
BC
Quote:
She says with great optimization
Haha...I love your outlook. Best of luck, be sure to take time out to vacation once and a while.
mike_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:24 AM   #37

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
Carol's West Coast....

I have an update to your "west coast camping guide"....LOL (I copied one of your detailed posts about it a while back).....

Green Point Campground has power to all sites (they said it was "new"...don't know how new)...didn't stay there as it was a little too "dark" for me in the jungle....

Golf Course CG was closed!! surprising the day before the start of a long weekend!!! no details what's going on there...

Your top pick, Bella Pacifica was indeed PUUURFECT ! (site 24 on the Seaview Terrace...lovely place and so quiet because of constant background noise of the surf....

Also stayed at Secret Beach....accessed via Toquart Bay Road (that's a freeway of a logging road as far as I'm concerned...15kms).....15 bucks, including 5 buck seniors discount....no services, no cell service, no radio reception even! (on my boombox).....the day I was there there were about fifteen other parties with quads, side by sides....sounded like locals who all knew each other...was quiter than I anticipated that night but I didn't stay for the full on weekend...nice views though

happy trails, F
Attached Thumbnails
westc.jpg   westm.jpg  

westf.jpg   westw.jpg  

westx.jpg   westy.jpg  

Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp