Sad day - Good by to the Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2016, 10:53 PM   #1

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Sad day - Good by to the Scamp

Due to a major life change - change in home and latitude and the probable lack of room for storing two trailers and time to look after both I let my Scamp go off to a new home today.

Was sad as i delivered it to its new family today - seeing the Scamps rock guard in the rear view mirror brought back 9 years of great memories of the thousands of miles the trailer has followed me around.

Also thought about the great group of people I have been fortunate enough to have meet and get to know well, many who I now call good friends, due to owning that little Scamp. Hoping that with the help of dark sun glasses and a few beers they will quickly get over the fact my new trailer is neither white or fibreglass.

Felt better once the Scamp was at its new home and the children quickly went in and started to check out their new trailer. Big smiles and laughter as they climbed into the bunks and tested them out and asked about what everything did.

Very happy it went to a local family who I am sure will enjoy their time with it as much as I have.

Now if I could get just as good and fast at hooking up & backing up my new trailer into tight spots and learn to use/fix its more complicated features then I will be a happy camper once again..... who know that just turning on the heat would require reading pages of an owners manual!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 12:26 AM   #2

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Due to a major life change - change in home and latitude and the probable lack of room for storing two trailers and time to look after both I let my Scamp go off to a new home today.

Was sad as i delivered it to its new family today - seeing the Scamps rock guard in the rear view mirror brought back 9 years of great memories of the thousands of miles the trailer has followed me around.

Also thought about the great group of people I have been fortunate enough to have meet and get to know well, many who I now call good friends, due to owning that little Scamp. Hoping that with the help of dark sun glasses and a few beers they will quickly get over the fact my new trailer is neither white or fibreglass.

Felt better once the Scamp was at its new home and the children quickly went in and started to check out their new trailer. Big smiles and laughter as they climbed into the bunks and tested them out and asked about what everything did.

Very happy it went to a local family who I am sure will enjoy their time with it as much as I have.

Now if I could get just as good and fast at hooking up & backing up my new trailer into tight spots and learn to use/fix its more complicated features then I will be a happy camper once again..... who know that just turning on the heat would require reading pages of an owners manual!
Hi: Carol H... Did the pickup truck play a part in going on to a bigger, possibly better, at least more expensive, trailer?
Stay with us... we value your opinions!!! We have the #1 AS dealer in Canada just 20 min. up the road, so if you're ever down this way give us a hauler!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 12:32 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Make sure you post the results of Zep on aluminum.
Looking forward to your observations, councel and advice.
Old 05-11-2016, 01:27 AM   #4

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: Carol H... Did the pickup truck play a part in going on to a bigger, possibly better, at least more expensive, trailer?
Stay with us... we value your opinions!!! We have the #1 AS dealer in Canada just 20 min. up the road, so if you're ever down this way give us a hauler!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Nope the purchase of the truck was not part of the bigger trailer plan. But my little truck is most probable going to become one with a bit more power and better MPG's shortly in order to better fit the new trailer.. its MPG's around the city have never been great and its REALLY bad pulling the new trailer - even though it still under its tow rating. 21L/100 on a trip up the California coast highway recently.

A bigger trailer had been the plan for awhile. Just took awhile to agree on a trailer layout my partner and i would both be happy with. Partner recently retired so can now take the trailer and park it on the beach in Mexico for a few months each winter. Loved the Scamp but over time found it did not work as well as we would like on trips of longer duration. Great if it was just me, not so great for two people. Having sold the house it looks like we may be building a new home on Vancouver Island so may need a place to live while doing that. Hope we don't end up living in the trailer ... but its an option at least. It will also make a great guest cabin at the beach house so we can build a smaller home with one less bedroom

Yup you have a great AS dealer, has been helpful in advising me on improving WDH set up on current truck - or as he says "the best he can given the particular truck I have" seems he doesnt feel its the best match either & not just in terms of MPG's.
Old 05-11-2016, 01:47 AM   #5

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Make sure you post the results of Zep on aluminum.
Looking forward to your observations, councel and advice.
the good news is the use of Zep has not taken the AS crowed by storm... its all about Walbernize and nothing else!

One Escape owner will be inheriting my supply of various 3M Marine products at the upcoming Fiberglass meet that I have been told I can still attend. Was told I just need to keep my usual supply of liquid refreshment flowing and people can just sit at my trailer and look at all those rivets and pretend they are sitting beside a painted fibreglass trailer!

Observation so far is that its pretty well the same as here re tires and tow vehicle debates but one we do not see here to often the BIG WDH debate - no debate on whether they are a good thing or needed or not - just which make/type
Old 05-11-2016, 02:26 AM   #6

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
All things change in life Carol. You have many good memories with your Scamp and someone else will continue that. As Alf said, stay with us...
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 03:37 AM   #7

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Just remember the memories you made in your Scamp and those you will make in your AS.
The same will happen to us on Saturday when the new owners of our Uhaul VT come to pick it up. It will be a bitter sweet day. We will miss that little camper that took us to places we would never have gone to had we not had it. It served as our storage for our volunteer items for Pine Ridge Reservation. It was the first camper that we had our granddaughter overnight with us in.
However, we realized as we towed our SC home from Oregon, that we will not camp in it again. It goes to new owners who will be using it as their home while working at the Renaissance Faire. Since we are Ren Faire groupies, we may see it again sometime.

CindyL
Old 05-11-2016, 04:14 AM   #8

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Oh Carol I'm just reading your post here. Congrats on your new trailer But I don't want you to leave fgrv! I want you to know from my heart how much you have helped a d shown me patience and kindness. Your help finds the tv mod in my scamp and countless other things. Your friendship travels with me.

I'm clueless, what did you buy? I feel your emotions on sale of your beloved scamp. I remember selling my pop up camper and shedding a tear as new owners drove her away. 3 months later I had a new scamp.

Sending wishes for great happiness your way!

I'm gratitude and respect,
Wendy

Sent from my VS985 4G using Fiberglass RV mobile app
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 06:23 AM   #9

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
You could make your profile say "Airstream 22, formerly Scamp16", so you are still legitimate on this forum, if somebody asks...

I always looked forward to reading your well informed posts and reasonable opinions, so I hope you find time to hang out with this group in the future.

On our last trip we stopped at the Valley of Fires Recreation Area in NM for one night before heading to visit Trinity Site. It was full of Airstreams, having their gathering. One of the owners gave me a tour, and was still friendly after I said I am the one with the Scamp just around the corner. If they are all like that, you are in good company. His was a 50 odd years old AS, beautifully fixed up.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 06:38 AM   #10

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
The new owners got a gem of a Scamp, Carol. I do wish you the best, whatever direction your travels take you. I, too, hope you will remain active here- your knowledge and experience is appreciated.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 08:33 AM   #11

Trailer: Escape
Pop rivets

Well at least you still have your pop rivets and tool to use. Sweet memento of your scamping days!
Grant Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 08:41 AM   #12

Name: Linda
Trailer: Escape
Colorado
Carol! You've taken me by surprise! Sure would like it if you'd remain on this site sharing your vast knowledge of the fiberglass world. I thank you for all the help you gave me over the last year and have enjoyed reading all your posts. Yes, our situations change and we must make adjustments to accommodate. I'm sure you will enjoy that fabulous Airstream!
“Casa Swany”
ljswanson53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 08:46 AM   #13

Name: Ann
Trailer: 2014 Trillium 1500 Legend
Maryland
Registry
Sure it was hard to say good-bye but you are entering a whole new world of cool! The PO of my 2014 Trillium traded it in on an Airstream - I wouldn't be too sad if we did the same someday. Of course, I've only owned my little egg less than a month and there are many memories to be made with her!
AnnKola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 09:02 AM   #14

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
Carol...look on the bright side.....

if you re-locate to the Island.....you'll have one more/new thing to gripe about: the high cost of ferries !!!

if you think 21L/100k is awful...you've lived a "charmed life"....I routinely see those numbers but I must admit on trips that include a lot of off-road travel...still the best I ever see is 18 under perfect conditions...just the "cost of doing business"...

Whereabouts are you thinking of "landing" on the Island?
Attached Thumbnails
reflex2.jpg  
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 10:48 AM   #15

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
I am sure it was a bittersweet day for sure but nice to see the new family excited to start camping with it.
Hopefully you stay around to continue to share all your knowledge and experience which is so valuable.
I will be interested to hear your review regarding your new Airstream.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 02:34 PM   #16

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franswa View Post
if you re-locate to the Island.....you'll have one more/new thing to gripe about: the high cost of ferries !!!

if you think 21L/100k is awful...you've lived a "charmed life"....I routinely see those numbers but I must admit on trips that include a lot of off-road travel...still the best I ever see is 18 under perfect conditions...just the "cost of doing business"...

Whereabouts are you thinking of "landing" on the Island?
Yup I realize with the heavier trailer it will not matter what I pull with as it will be a hit to the gas gage..... it was the one long stretch of 23-24L/100k that had me shacking my head and I wasn't doing over 55mph. But to be honest its the other 70% of the time when not towing that has always bothered me. I would like to see that number drop below the current average 16-17L/100k . When I get in a newer more gas efficent larger truck with more power and see numbers down in the 11L/100k its a good reality check on just how bad my current truck actually is.

Being an Island girl originally and with most of my family still on Island time I am familiar with the cost of ferries. Having done the math on the differences in housing prices I figured out that I could do a hundred or more trips a year for the next 15 years on the ferry, even with the large trailer in tow and still come out well ahead!

Family is spread out from Victoria to Tofino so I am looking to settle in the middle of them... hopefully my long time dream house on the beach in Qualicum.... will see though. May take a look around the Comox area as well. Lots/houses hard to find right now as the Island is endanger of sinking due to the number of folks from West/North Vancouver leaving on mass due to haven taken advantage of the current crazy housing market here.
Old 05-11-2016, 02:52 PM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kootenaigirl View Post
I will be interested to hear your review regarding your new Airstream.
Well I have had it for a few month now and still have not come close to figuring out how everything actually works or a clue as to how one would actually fix anything on it should it break .... so if I had to write a review today I would simple say "Its complicated!" :lout BUT very comfortable to camp in!

While they have a large user group to help new folks like myself out, I have to say its a lot harder to get help fast on a specific question or even search for it. Unlike Scamp, AS makes lots of changes from year to year, right down to everything from the plumbing & wiring layouts, the axles and frame design..... So what one might find in a 2000 model is probable going to be different on a 2014 model - even on trailers of the same size, model and layout.

So for someone absolutely new to trailers and wishing to learn/understand trailer basics going with the much simpler in design Scamp to start with is not at all a bad thing.
Old 05-11-2016, 03:07 PM   #18

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
real estate....

just had a friend do exactly what you described with a twist...he was on the Sunshine Coast (Roberts Creek).....demand from people cashing in from North/West Van created a hot market and rising prices there....so he decided to sell and move to the Island...(ended up buying ten blocks away from me!)

so I've heard LOTS about the market around here lately....apparently there is a great number of sales (banner year) but the prices have stayed flat if not declining slightly (???)....sounds like a whole bunch of people exchanging houses....I've heard from builders building duplex/triplexes and they say they can't put them up fast enough right now...

Qualicum is a great location alright.....have fun shopping
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 04:17 PM   #19

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Carol, Wish you well with your new Trailer.. it's always exciting to change a little and face new challenges.

Safe Travels

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 06:25 PM   #20

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Allen View Post
Well at least you still have your pop rivets and tool to use. Sweet memento of your scamping days!
In the Airstream World it is *all* about rivets, although not pop-rivets. The members with many forum posts behind their belts are are called "rivet masters". They have five rivets to their name!
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp