Safety In Numbers - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2015, 07:15 PM   #21

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hotrodders caravan all the time, but then... they're motelers. It's all about meeting at destination(s) and no more than three rigs in a "group" going down the road together. Only because they don't want to plug up a fueling stop with 20-30 cars all at once!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 07:23 PM   #22

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
To me one of the great things about trailer travel is no schedules. No commitment to be any place at any time. That's one reason I never get reservations. The freedom of the open road. Do I worry about where I'm going to sleep, only the first year did I even give it though and that was only for the first night of a long trip.
I know that schedules are important for some people, and that's OK, everybody has to do what they are comfortable with. Like Glenn I'm more comfortable traveling with just my wife and I.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:43 PM   #23

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We are generally happy traveling alone.... however I would be willing to try a guided trip to a special place with a knowledgeable leader. It would be a little like a moving rally.

I wouldn't want it to be too big, friendly size.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 08:16 PM   #24
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
We like variety, this includes camping alone, boondocking, wilderness, small town, Fiberglass gatherings, etc, just exploring our great countries. This is another way to camp and travel that adds another dimension and sounds like fun for a week long event. I know the Casita group have a caravan event that looks like a great time.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 07:15 AM   #25

Florida
Newfoundland Trip

Scouter Dave started this thread, a very interesting guy. It turns out that he's stopping by our home for the night in a couple of weeks. Since he has a wealth of knowledge about Newfoundland I thought I'd talk to him about setting up a Newfoundland trip, possibly exploring the west coast of Newfoundland. If you're interested, please post to this thread mentioning your interest.

I was thinking of two weeks together, maybe starting at the Mid May Trails, Tales and Tunes music festival, Dave goes to it every year. The Festival last 10 days and is definitely fun and worth it, giving a real flavor of Newfoundland. Equally important it is held in Gros Morne so one could mix the Festival and exploration of Gros Morne.

One advantage of the spring is the relative 'tourist quiet' of this time. Sticking with the west coast would provide plenty to do in two weeks and of course you could stay longer.

Another feature of the west coast is you don't have to do a lot of driving to see a lot, even a hop over to Labrador and Red Bay would be a possibility.

I should mention that driving in Newfoundland is like driving route 90 along the Texas border, mostly you, the road and an occasional moose. The driving is easy, relaxing and the views beautiful.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-11-2015, 07:39 AM   #26

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
We have travelled with another couple a few times, and it is quite nice. Depending on the people, I would even be willing to do a short trip with a bunch of others too.

I have done lots of backpacking and canoeing trips with lots of people, and for the most part things have gone great. The more people, the slower you can expect to go, as you are always waiting for the slowest person, which is not always the same one. The one thing we always do though, is to make certain there is one person designated as the group leader, who only if needed will make a final call on the group decision making. I imagine this would work best even with an RV caravan.

I don't see is as a safety thing at all though. I feel perfectly safe by ourselves.

But, like others have said, for the most part I enjoy the flexibility of travelling alone.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:07 AM   #27

Florida
Jim,

I don't see it as a safety issue either. However I do think there's a hesitancy by some RVers to travel to out of the way places alone. Though many people travel to Alaska alone, there's a fair group who would not do it. Maybe part of it is the mystique of places like Alaska and Newfoundland. In Newfoundland, discounting the locals who camp all the time, most of the RVers 'from away' seem to be in caravans.

We have friends who lead a 56 day Caravans in NL and NS, ... and are always full with 20 rigs or so...the charge is $9000, just amazing to me.

I think an RV caravan the slowest person is not a problem that it may be on a hike. Typically they don't drive together. I think a nice feature might be not to have any really long day drives and to keep planned events to reasonable levels while allowing time for individual extensions.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-11-2015, 08:22 AM   #28

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
I kinda like the idea of "serial rallies".
Pick a number of sights and dates in a row across the country.
Get a number of trailers to sign up.
Then publish the schedule so that those other than the core group could attend those close to their homes.
We were kinda thinking of a "Caveman Run" which would include camps near caves across the country. Mammoth,Merrimac,Mark Twain, etc.
There are hundreds of nice caving sights across the country.

Top 10 Caving Vacations in North America | Active Vacations | iExplore
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 09:56 AM   #29

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
I'd certainly be interested in any of these ideas and would hope to join in. I have dual citizenship and passports so that's no problem.
Something similar is the annual Southern Utah Tour in the Spring that lasts about two weeks led by a retired professional tour guide and limited to something like 12 trailers, mostly Casitas.

Walt
WaltP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 11:11 AM   #30

Name: Mon
Trailer: 13' 2008 Scamp...YAY!
Missouri
I would love to do a NL/NS trip!

Mon
monB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 11:17 AM   #31

Name: Bobby
Trailer: Trillium 4500, Casita f/d ,1987 boler voyageur,1988bigfoot5er
Ontario
The Newfoundland tour is on our "bucket list".
It would be fun to caravan .
Keep me posted.
2008 Casita f/d-----1988 Bigfoot 5er---1987 Boler
Bobby Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 11:44 AM   #32

Florida
Wow, that makes four with Scouter Dave and us.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-11-2015, 11:48 AM   #33

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Cool My thoughts

I read once that if having a caravan, the slowest driver should be put in first place.

I can't fathom the difficulties. Just keeping up with one Washington Area Gathering, (WAG) like Taidnapam is forbidding. People sign up on FGRV and then communicate through Casita or Escape Forum or vice-versa. To top it off, they have different names on these different blogs.

It is a job just keeping track of who, what, when!

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 12:29 PM   #34

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
If a nonRv-er stumbled upon this caravan on a two lane road (note there are lots more in the rear view mirror), I'd be less than thrilled at the moving road block. Targeted departure time and arrival time seems the way to go with only a loose route in the middle. I think it is more considerate.
(Not my picture).
Attached Thumbnails
22265.JPG  
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 12:37 PM   #35

Florida
Steve,

All the caravan tours I've seen have a flex departure schedule. Sometimes two rigs will leave together but typically not more. It seems they leave over a period of hours.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-11-2015, 12:46 PM   #36

Name: donna
Trailer: 13 ft scamo deluxe
New Jersey
Would love to meet other "scampers" but we live in south new jersey and seem to be a rarity. Anyone know anyone closer....ie not western part of the us? Donna

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
donnaeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 01:32 PM   #37

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
I can't fathom the difficulties. Just keeping up with one Washington Area Gathering, (WAG) like Taidnapam is forbidding. People sign up on FGRV and then communicate through Casita or Escape Forum or vice-versa. To top it off, they have different names on these different blogs.

It is a job just keeping track of who, what, when!
You have NO idea...

Sometimes it's like herding cats. But at the same time it can be a ton of fun keeping all the balls in the air
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 02:04 PM   #38

Florida
Scamp, Casita, Parkliners

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnaeb View Post
Would love to meet other "scampers" but we live in south new jersey and seem to be a rarity. Anyone know anyone closer....ie not western part of the us? Donna

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
For the fun of it I did a search on the membership and there are at least 25 Scamp, Casita or Parkliner owners that belong to FRV in New Jersey.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-11-2015, 05:40 PM   #39

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Van Camper
New Brunswick
Keep us posted too.. It's a possibility

Sent from my XT1028 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Briantb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 01:35 PM   #40

Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
Scouter 'Dave' - Here's another 'Dave' who'd love to join the 'Norm & Ginny' idea of a FGRV 'Caravan' through the 'Rock' - and other portions of 'Down East' too. We're not 'Working Stiff' - and hope have our rig back on the camping trail in a month or so.
Has the 'Scouter' sparked any other appetites ?
bullfrogeh is offline   Reply With Quote