Safety In Numbers - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-10-2015, 09:38 AM   #1

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot
Newfoundland & Labrador
Safety In Numbers

I will just throw this out to see where it lands.
What are the chances of someone organizing a "Caravan" of FGRVs with a specific destination in mind? Or are we too relaxed and unstructured for such a regimen?
If there was a starting point and a destination, units could travel to the start and then leave on a specific date. Others could join as the caravan moved across the country. Once the destination is reached travellers could disperse or travel together on a different route to return to their home bases. The first trip would not have to be too long, just enough for us to figure out if it was something that we would try again.
It would require a lot of work, some good organizational skills and a lot of patience and computer time but it could work. It is being done by other groups, [Airstream being one that comes to mind].
If this old horse has been trotted around the barnyard before then let us know right away and it can be put back in the barn. PTYFNA.
Scouter Dave
Old 06-10-2015, 09:56 AM   #2

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
I like the idea, but am stlll a working stiff, so somewhat limited.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 10:47 AM   #3

Name: Mireille
Trailer: 1977 Boler 1300
Quebec
Love the idea...but live on the other side of the border.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:51 AM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
I might just join up when you pass through North Carolina... there you see the problem.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 11:24 AM   #5

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita
Registry
Lane and the poodle girls did the the 66 hwy a few years ago , was a big winner , I am looking at doing a small wagon train of about 300 miles or so working on it as we speak.
Old 06-10-2015, 12:29 PM   #6

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Dave, How would you like to lead a west coast of Newfoundland Caravan lasting two weeks or so?

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 12:29 PM   #7

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Dave, as Bama suggest the Route 66 trip is one that is done often. Sisters on the Fly also do a lot of trips with lots of rigs as well.

Personally I have done trips involving 4 to 9 trailers - usually when traveling from BC to Bandon Oregon meet. We will often pick up trailers as we move though different areas - i.e. some of us will start on the BC side and pick up those who live in the Seattle/Renton areas as we move south. We usually arrange ahead of time to meet at a pre set spot such a highway rest stop at a set time. If the party does not show up after 1/2 hour or so or text someone as to their whereabouts we just move on. Gets way to frustrating sitting around waiting for people on the side of a highway when you could be arriving at a campground earlier and enjoying a nice cool drink! ;-)

Everyone travels at different speeds and wants to stop at different places, gas stops etc making keeping the trailers all traveling together a problem. One trip a group of about 9 of us (from both sides of the border) attended a rally on the BC side of the border and we all left the campground together heading south to another rally. It was a short trip to the border so we all arrived there together & waited on the US side as each party cleared customs and all left the border at the same time. by the time we were less than 60 miles south I only had a visual on 1 other trailer. Did not see the rest again until we got into campground in the Portland area later that day & only one or two of the others actually arrived at the campground together. There was actually a 4.5 hour gap between the first to arrive at the campground in Portland and the last to arrive at the campground - and that was only a 460 mile trip ;-)

If I was putting together such a run I would just set dates you will be at such and such a campground and have people meet there! Way simpler for the organizer.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 12:36 PM   #8

Florida
The Caravan approach is to all leave in the morning on individual schedules and arrive in the afternoon at the destination, no one needs wait for anyone.

There may or may not be stops on the route for the day like everyone meeting for lunch at a destination on the way to the next camping stop or a stop on your own schedule at a particular sight. Group activities can be scheduled for afternoon or night.

The safety in Caravans is the last person leaving in the morning is the tail gunner, keeping an eye open for a failed rig.

We have never done a caravan feeling there's plenty of safety with two people. We have watched them and they do breed confidence and guarantee social activity. Typically there are 20 rigs to a caravan but in my mind less would be better.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-10-2015, 12:38 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
As Carol points out there's lots of problems with attempting to go down the highway as group.
In my checkered past I've tried this with day hiking and backpacking trips with 8 to 10 people traveling on foot. One 7 mile hike by the time we were completed the last person was about a mile behind the first (me first, wife last). The backpacking trip was a bit better. I've traveled with one other trailer once and worked out fine. At one point we were close to 50 miles apart. Ham radio 2 meter radios kept us in contact. I traveled with a non-ham and we used FRS radios.
If want to travel down the road together, rather than meet up at night, I would suggest you get as many ham radio operators and you can to join in. Spread them out with one at the front and one at the rear, with others spread out in between.
Old 06-10-2015, 12:39 PM   #10

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mireille L View Post
Mireilli,

By the way Scouter Dave lives on your side of the border though frequently travels to the states, hopefully visiting us this month.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-10-2015, 12:59 PM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I've traveled with one other trailer once and worked out fine. At one point we were close to 50 miles apart. Ham radio 2 meter radios kept us in contact. I traveled with a non-ham and we used FRS radios.
I have traveled over a fair number of miles/states with another couple here over the years and the FRS radios we have used while traveling work well but have only about a 2 mile range & only if the area is fairly flat and clear. Once in the mountains or twisty roads they are not great unless your very close to each other. Text messages or phone calls work to advise the other party you are stopping for gas etc - assuming of course you have a passenger that can read and respond to the texts &/or you have a vehicle that has built in handsfree voice/ texting option.
Old 06-10-2015, 01:06 PM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mireille L View Post
so why would/should this stop you?

There are lots of folks here who cross over one way or the other each week-end its not a big deal. I actually had a very nice chat with a US border guard this past week-end about my tug/trailer set up - he was interested in my hitch set up and how it handled and weight of tongue etc. He actually was so interested in discussing an issue he has with his own set up, he forgot to ask me if I had any booze, fruits, veggies and egg products or any of the other standard questions!
Old 06-10-2015, 01:39 PM   #13

Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Mireilli,

By the way Scouter Dave lives on your side of the border though frequently travels to the states, hopefully visiting us this month.

Oups...I'm kindda new here...don't know every body yet. Love the idea of new Foundland though. Is it your home ? We are maybe going to take a 3 weeks trip there next summer.
Old 06-10-2015, 01:45 PM   #14

Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
so why would/should this stop you?

There are lots of folks here who cross over one way or the other each week-end its not a big deal. I actually had a very nice chat with a US border guard this past week-end about my tug/trailer set up - he was interested in my hitch set up and how it handled and weight of tongue etc. He actually was so interested in discussing an issue he has with his own set up, he forgot to ask me if I had any booze, fruits, veggies and egg products or any of the other standard questions!
Once a Us border guard wincked at me.

We all know that they have a job to do, but some of them are not very...welcoming.

We get across the border every couple of weeks during summer time. We are big fans of the adirondack region (and the white mountains, and the green mountains, and Acadia Park...and the east coast all together) and I have familly in Plattsburgh NY. I was just thinking about finding a meeting place.
Old 06-10-2015, 02:46 PM   #15

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I have traveled over a fair number of miles/states with another couple here over the years and the FRS radios we have used while traveling work well but have only about a 2 mile range & only if the area is fairly flat and clear. Once in the mountains or twisty roads they are not great unless your very close to each other. Text messages or phone calls work to advise the other party you are stopping for gas etc - assuming of course you have a passenger that can read and respond to the texts &/or you have a vehicle that has built in handsfree voice/ texting option.

Also assuming you have cell phone coverage. A lot of places we travel cell phones don't work.
Old 06-10-2015, 03:04 PM   #16

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Also assuming you have cell phone coverage. A lot of places we travel cell phones don't work.
Very true Byron but thats changing all the time with more and more areas that in the past had limited or no coverage now having coverage. Either way always best regardless to have an agreed spot to meet at the end of the day.
Old 06-10-2015, 03:12 PM   #17

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
A lot less stressful and safer to travel by yourself.
No appointments to make or places to be and no attempts to pass or speed in order to catch up.
Old 06-10-2015, 04:26 PM   #18

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
There are many trips as you describe. Every year there are a few groups that do a route 66 trip. The Casita group does a UTAH parks trip. First you would need to plan the route and sites to see. Then determine where you will be camping and for how long. People do not HAVE to travel from beginning to end. They can meet at or travel to one or two campgrounds if they want. Everyone would be responsible for making their own reservations. You do not have to travel tail to nose down the highway. Everyone will have different stops for gas, food, refreshments. Just meet up at the campground later that afternoon.

A friend of my takes a trip to one of the National Parks every year from Las Vegas. His website, Toponautic, has his trip schedule on excel that shows starting stopping points, milage between fill up stops, etc. This year is the Glacier trip.

So, make a plan, post it and see what happens.
Alice L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 05:49 PM   #19

Name: Matthew
Trailer: Casita
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouter Dave View Post
are we too relaxed and unstructured for such a regimen?
Yup. That's me right there.
Old 06-10-2015, 06:34 PM   #20

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Sounds good and seems to work best if you do the Start Here --- Meet There each day and simply expect to see each other at the campgrounds.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote