Sale at Princess Auto! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-10-2011, 12:22 PM   #21

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
If you can get a 12v battery to the wires connect the neg post to the ground on the light and then touch the other wires one at a time to the pos post and see which lights light.

Bill K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Thanks Brian - but which wire off the lights do I connect the trailers brown wire to as the lights dont have a Brown wire on them?
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 05:48 PM   #22

Name: Brian
Trailer: 72 Boler 13'
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H

Thanks Brian - but which wire off the lights do I connect the trailers brown wire to as the lights dont have a Brown wire on them?
A picture is worth a thousand words they say. The brown trailer running light wire is connected to the Black 7" LED light wire.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1975690673.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	38942

Name:	image-3845406272.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	38943
Brian E Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 05:52 PM   #23

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Brian, I bet at dusk or night, when you step on the brakes... you light up the SKY with those tail lights... too cool!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:54 AM   #24

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Thanks Brian!!! You covered both my questions - looks like I need to dig behind the rat fur as I suspected.

So as I have four wires coming out of the trailer do I put both the black and the brown together on the light side?

Also wondering what people do for lights on the licence plate - my old original lights have a clear lens on the bottom of the cover over the licence plate that look after that but the LEDS dont - so I will need to installl a seperate light for the licence plate light and wondered how to go about that. Can I just splice into one of the tail light wires - which one?

Who know installing new lights would lead to so many questions ;-))
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:49 PM   #25

British Columbia
Registry
Yes black and brown together. I always check with a voltmeter or test light to confirm if I am dealing with old trailers as many times previous owners have spliced in parts of the wiring.

My trailer had three connections between the vehicle plug and where it went into the front of the trailer.
Each connection is a place for corrosion and poor connection.

The fourth wire may be your backup wire.

The license plate light can be added and connect it to your running lights( Brown wire). I have seen plate brackets with built in lights or lights by themselves.

My opinion there is plenty of red LED light when the running lights are on but check your local State or provincial laws regarding trailer license plate illumination.
Brian E Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:02 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian E Moon View Post
The license plate light can be added and connect it to your running lights( Brown wire). I have seen plate brackets with built in lights or lights by themselves.

My opinion there is plenty of red LED light when the running lights are on but check your local State or provincial laws regarding trailer license plate illumination.
This is a common mod for hotrodders. Google is your friend. Here's one: http://www.jcwhitney.com/lighted-lic.../p2022478.jcwx

They even come in billet aluminum for twice the price... but waaay cool!
Old 08-11-2011, 09:25 PM   #27

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian E Moon View Post
Yes black and brown together. I always check with a voltmeter or test light to confirm if I am dealing with old trailers as many times previous owners have spliced in parts of the wiring.

My trailer had three connections between the vehicle plug and where it went into the front of the trailer.
Each connection is a place for corrosion and poor connection.

The fourth wire may be your backup wire.

Thanks again! yup licence plate lights are required by law on all trailers here.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:28 PM   #28

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
This is a common mod for hotrodders. Google is your friend. Here's one: Custom Accessories Lighted License Frame w/Brake Light - JCWhitney

They even come in billet aluminum for twice the price... but waaay cool!
Donna those are cool! With all those new lights the back of the Scamp will go from hard to see on a bad weather night to being light up like a Christmas tree..
Old 08-15-2011, 08:10 PM   #29

Name: garyc
Trailer: 1987 scamp 5th wheel
Florida
Registry
Just got my new lights today. I will be installing them in the morning.
garycoughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:15 PM   #30

Name: Andy
Trailer: 1979 Ventura 13'
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy A
Carol,

Could be for backup lights if you have backup lights. Donna didn't mention backup with these LED's only stop, turn & tail.
Ding ding ding we have a winner!!
My 77 ventura has back up light and 4 wires one of which is brown.
AndyGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:17 PM   #31

Name: Andy
Trailer: 1979 Ventura 13'
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wood
I'm just wondering my Scamp has rectangle ones, does anyone carry these that are Led. If not I can always change the two bulbs in each to led's . I would get the round but I think I would have to fill the holes that my originals would leave, and that the round ones wouldn't cover . Oh thanks Clive.
A lot of hot rod supply places carry LEDs that are direct replacements for common bulbs
AndyGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:55 PM   #32

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by garycoughlin View Post
Just got my new lights today. I will be installing them in the morning.
hehe when you get them installed perhaps you can share which wires from the trailer you connect to which of the wires on the light... the reason I ask is I have the same lights to install and today I cut the rat fur open on the right side to see what is connected to the current lights and I have far more trailer wiring than wires on the lights to connect too!

On the trailer side I have a yellow wire which according to the manual is the back up light and its currently connected to the black wire on the original light. As the new lights dont have back up what do I do with the back up wire? The brown wire on the trailer side (per manual is my right turn and brake light) is connected to the Red wire on the light but its been suggested here that I put that to the Black wire - hummm. Green wire on trailer side (running lights and markers) is connected to the green wire on the light - new lights dont have a green wire so not sure what to do with that one? The only one that makes any sence is the white wire trailer to white wire light!

Here I thought this would be a simple thing! LOL
Old 08-16-2011, 10:18 AM   #33

Florida
Registry
I put my new lights on today and they are GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-16-2011, 10:29 AM   #34

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by garycoughlin View Post
I put my new lights on today and they are GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ok its on my list for today but I dont want to blow anything up by connecting the wires wrong......
Old 08-16-2011, 10:37 AM   #35

Florida
Registry
White is ground,the red wire from the new light went to my red on my scamp,the back wire went to my green wire on scamp. The best thing to do is hook up the white wire to maybe your car battery(just hold it on) take the red wire to the positive and check the brightness and then put the black wire on, now you know the light colors. Now turn on your emergency flashers and put the white to ground and take your brightest wire and put it on one wire of your trailer, if it does not work put it on the other one. then you will beable to do the same to the next wire. If you hook up the ground and put one only wire at a time you can not mess anything up.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:38 AM   #36

Florida
Registry
not the back wire the black wire ooops
Old 08-16-2011, 12:57 PM   #37

Registry
*THANKS* Gary for the advise
Old 08-16-2011, 06:26 PM   #38

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
*THANKS* Gary for the advise
I also took the sockets off the old fixtures and put the new lights on the old back , I used a #14 by 3/4 stailess screw which is bigger than the screws that were on it so I would not have to change the back. I put both in in about 15 min.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:46 PM   #39

For those that are installing the 7" round LEDs, I'd love to see daylight Wedding Cake pics and nighttime Wedding Cake pics (or whatever you're replacing), THEN daylight LEDs and nighttime LEDs. I'm thinking most people would be amazed at the difference. Being seen on the road whether daylight or nighttime is paramount over "original." IMHO. AND YMMV
Old 08-17-2011, 12:35 PM   #40

British Columbia
Registry
LEDs at dusk running lights on!

Picture makes them look way brighter.

Name:	image-1878181895.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	67.9 KB