San Antonio, TX - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2012, 04:37 PM   #1

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
San Antonio, TX

We avoid cities but will never avoid San Antonio. It's a marvelous city that's has a long history of intelligent leadership. It's well worth a visit, make that many visits.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:49 PM   #2

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Norm

For once it seems we can agree on something!

My sister lived in S.A. for years and I made frequent visits there and among my favorite features is the food of course.

It is a fun place with a diverse mix of people and ideas to say the least.

My only complaint would be the HEAT and Humidity in August.
I simply can not go anywhere there that my glasses do not fog up going from inside to outside so I just tried to stay outside.

My sister once rented a little house there that was owned by a Church in the Alamo Heights area and it had been built by a Door Salesman.
This house had at least 2 doors into each room and some had 3 or 4!
It was one crazy house!

Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:56 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
The Alamo and River Walk. We got to the Alamo just as it was closing for the day and we had to leave early the next morning. I'm still mad about that. Did do the boat ride! How about Savannah GA, that's nice, been there a few times, this past December was the most recent visit. Lots of history, Forest Gump sat on the park bench there, and Paula Deen's restaurant, also Girl Scouts started in Savannah. Take one of the trolley tours, they're worth it.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:02 PM   #4

Florida
Savanah and Charleston

We love the south's small coastal cities as well. San Antonio is massive compared to them yet charming in a hundred ways. I think we should really stay for a month but do need to get to Seattle for June.

Ed,

I didn't know we were on the opposite side of issues other probably my Honda. I can understand you liking San Antonio. We had wonderful Mexican food today and yesterday had our dirst Chicken Fried Steak, it was great, and our first Pepper steak, loaded with onions and Jalopenas in the center.

We've come to love texas and Texans where people are proud of their state and verbalize it in everything they say and it carries over to the nation, a truly interesting place.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-21-2012, 12:10 AM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
While you are at/in/near San A, you HAVE TO go to Rudy's BBQ - They advertize themselves as "the worst BBQ in Texas". If you can, go to the very first original one - Rudy's Country Store & BBQ in Leon, Tx - just outside of San A.
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:54 AM   #6

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
If you like the Local Flavor,
Try this place

san antonio restaurant directory:san antonio restaurants guide for american, japanese, chinese, pizza, steak house, italian, seafood mexican, thai restaurants

Best chilaquiles for Breakfast I have ever had,by a long stretch too!
And of course don't judge a book by its cover!

Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:53 AM   #7

Name: George
Trailer: Casita Liberty
Texas
Another good place to go for breakfast is the Pioneer flour mills restaurant located right on the grounds of the flour mill. Check it out at : https://www.guentherhouse.com Easy to get too and the history is interesting and the food is delicious. Sandy
Gchilds17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:05 AM   #8

Name: Darron
Trailer: In the market
Texas
I haven't had any barbecue in San Antonio for a long time so can't offer any advice other than don't buy into their marketing hype. Rudy's is the fifth best barbecue within ten minutes of my house in Round Rock. I give 'em a B-plus.

San Antonio is a great place to to visit, and they do have some politicians taking the long term view on city planning.

Reality is Texas is full of great destinations, especially in the Hill Country and surrounding areas. And lately it is not just August that is unbearably hot. Seems to start in early to mid June now and not let up until late September.
Doc Sarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:41 AM   #9

Trailer: Trillium
Registry
LOL! I had to laugh when I read this thread. One of my best friends visited Germany and when she told me about it, all I heard was the food she ate at each meal, each day. LOL I wondered if she saw any of the other amazing sights in Germany.

I hope you are seeing other things besides the food (as amazing as it may be) Be sure to visit some of the missions in San Antonio. Take the River Boat Ride and shop the stores.
Noreen Bradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:14 PM   #10

Trailer: 24 ft 5th Wheel Shadow Cruiser
I 2nd that Rudy,s BBQ,,i been there done that,,,but PLEASE have the Zantac & Tums on stand by...Really good food... Ron
Ron Humerickhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:35 PM   #11

Florida
Eating our way thru Texas

Ginny jokes about eating our way thru Texas. We have a list of suggestions and I will say each one has been good.

We have allowed ourselves one meal a day, limiting our two remaining meals to 200 calories each.

Thank you all. I'm sure we'll be back this way and try them all. Actually I think Texas has moved to near the top of the list of favorite states.... and people. She's already told me we're coming to a rally here next year.

As to tums and the like. over the years what used to be spicy and hot food has slipped into the normal category.

As to BBQ, we treat it like pizza, there are so many types and we're just happy to have any of them. When you're from the NorthEast BBQ is a treat. One time a NE magazine printed the list of the 6 best BBQ places in NE and we managed to hunt them all down...it's rare if a NE state has one or two good places for BBQ.

Today we did not go into the city but just drove with abandon thru the Texas country side. It's a treat for us, so different from NH. We ate lunch at a little TX saloon and had more mexican food.....

Tomorrow we're heading off to Seminole State Park near Comstock, TX, camping at what looks like an interesting TX park.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-21-2012, 05:40 PM   #12

N&G when you go to Cheifland Fla. area,,check out Bill,s BBQ,,thats really good also,,,,& out on Cedar Key make sure you try the Crab Shack,,fresh live Sea Food...Ron
Old 02-21-2012, 06:54 PM   #13

Florida
Ron, We wrote about Bill's BBQ in Chiefland in our newsletter. We went there twice. Very good. We've also been to Cedar Key, another part of old Florida we love. You must love old FL like me.

Stay warm, your pictures are great.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-22-2012, 06:06 AM   #14

Yes i loved "old Florida" I lived in the St. Pete area 15 years,with my mother & Dad,,went to school there,,but many things have changed , back in the late 40s-and 50s..you had WEBB CITY ,now gone,,a grand Sunken Gardens,,,& the old Peir was much better than the new one...Ron