San Francisco sojourn - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2010, 11:25 AM   #1

Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Ford Ranger
Question San Francisco sojourn

Any recommendations for campgrounds in the San Fran area? We don't want to fork out the $100 a night for an RV Resort, and would love to have bus access to the big city. Anyone know of such a perfect spot?
Thanks in advance for your help.
cheers
Ian
Ian-Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 03:36 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian-Vicki
Any recommendations for campgrounds in the San Fran area? We don't want to fork out the $100 a night for an RV Resort, and would love to have bus access to the big city. Anyone know of such a perfect spot?
Thanks in advance for your help.
cheers
Ian
We stayed at the KOA up on Petaluma. As I recall, it was on the $50-75 range. Nice campground and fairly handy to the city.

Dave
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 04:22 PM   #3

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe
I'm afraid there are no perfect spots for you but I'll share what I can. BTW, I'm from SF but have lived in Nevada for about 40 years. Love to visit SF.

The only place we have stayed with the trailer that is close to SF is SF RV Resort in Pacifica, just south of SF. I know you said no resorts but this is actually more of a parking lot. The best thing about it is it's proximity to SF and that it sits on a bluff along the ocean. The sites, if you can call them that, are very narrow and cost about $50. No handy bus service to the city but once there, the local buses are inexpensive.

Half Moon Bay SP might be an option for you. It's also $50, located about 25 miles south. No hook-ups but hot showers are available and a dump station. It's less than 10 miles to I-280 which would be a quick drive into SF.

The only RV park within the city limits is Candlestick RV Park, right across the street from the football stadium for about $75. It looks like a parking lot but considers itself a 5 star RV Park. I don't like to recommend this one because of it's location. But, judging from the website, it looks secure enough, if you don't wander off the grounds at night. The best thing about it is a shuttle bus to the downtown area, $12 round trip.
Carol Christensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:58 PM   #4

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
Many years ago we stayed at Portola Valley redwoods State Park when Half moon Bay was full, its closer to San Jose than San Fransico. It was the summer and the coons stole everything in sight. Make use of the food boxes. Others have spoken favourabley of
anthony chabot regional park. There is a "transit" campground, ie the parking lot, for overnight stays at mt. Tampalas off of #1 just north of Sausalito but it is a huge climb in elevation. there are a couple of other state parks off of #1 north of San Franscico but may not be handy for touring SF. the golden Gate bridge has a hefty toll. $10 if I remember correctly.
Kent I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:42 AM   #5

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Freedom Deluxe 1998
Mt. Diablo State Park

You may also want to consider the East Bay, and in particular camping at Mt. Diablo State Park Mount Diablo SP .

The rates are somewhat reasonable, although it is dry camping, but the views from the mountain can be spectacular. For the day trips into SF, take BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) from the Walnut Creek station into the city to avoid the very high parking fees and traffic.

Bret
Bret Tresidder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:45 AM   #6

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bret Tresidder View Post
You may also want to consider the East Bay, and in particular camping at Mt. Diablo State Park Mount Diablo SP .

The rates are somewhat reasonable, although it is dry camping, but the views from the mountain can be spectacular. For the day trips into SF, take BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) from the Walnut Creek station into the city to avoid the very high parking fees and traffic.

Bret
They say, on a clear day you see Yosemite's Half Dome from the top of Mt Diablo. Clear days are probably pretty rare but it would be an amazing view in any direction. Be aware that the website says they lock the gates at Sunset! They might make exceptions or have a some solution to that problem. You could call and check.

Anthony Cabot Regional Park has also been mentioned. This is another great park that locks its gates at night, 10 pm. Not quite as inconvenient.
Carol Christensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 02:16 PM   #7

Hi guys. Thanks for all the suggestions. I think we're going to try Pacifica, and the SF RV Resort. Maybe from there we'll be able to find a park and ride, and then pick up transit.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:37 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
We have always stayed in Half Moon Bay, once at the state park and once at a priviate campground. Used the BART to get into the city. We had to drive to another town to get the BART, went to the nearest one, not too far. More: RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Parks near San Francisco
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:47 PM   #9

We're at Pacifica now, at San Fran RV Resort Park and they've recommended BART and where to park just down the road so it looks like we should be fine. Adrian, we stayed at City of Rocks and loved it!! See our blog at On Burroed Time