San Luis Obispo - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2019, 05:54 PM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: Oliver
Utah
San Luis Obispo

In May we will be traveling from Utah with our FG trailer to Jalama Beach County Park campground for a family reunion. Should be fun!
After the campout, we are planning to drive to San Luis Obispo to visit some old friends. We will be staying with our friends for three nights. We would like to disconnect our trailer so that we can drive with just our car. We plan on a day trip to Cambria, where my father-in-law grew up, so we can visit some cousins.
Here is my question. We need to find a place to park our trailer. Our friends live on Marsh Street in the downtown area. There are parking meters there, so it is not a suitable place to park the trailer. On the web I found Weiperts RV Storage; however, they have not responded to my email inquiry and have not returned my phone calls.
Any suggestions for where we could store our trailer for three nights near SLO? Thanks
DavidJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 07:27 PM   #2

Trailer: Sold Bigfoot. Shopping for Arctic Fox 22G
Missouri
If you are an Elk the San Luis Obispo Elks Lodge has RV hookups.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 10:26 AM   #3

Name: Bruce
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
New Hampshire
Parking in SLO

You could try parking at the shopping center on Madonna Road where Best Buy and Kohl's is located. Also could try Avila, Pismo Beach or Morro Bay public lots or street parking. Avila for example has all day 10-6 parking in their big lot for $6 and all other street parking is free if you can find a spot. Not sure about MB or Pismo, but maybe at the Premium Outlets in Pismo. I went to school there 45 years ago and a lot has changed but it's still a great place!
BruceW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 12:44 PM   #4

Name: Kevin
Trailer: Looking for a Meerkat
California
You can Park at my house near Pismo Beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJS View Post
In May we will be traveling from Utah with our FG trailer to Jalama Beach County Park campground for a family reunion. Should be fun!
After the campout, we are planning to drive to San Luis Obispo to visit some old friends. We will be staying with our friends for three nights. We would like to disconnect our trailer so that we can drive with just our car. We plan on a day trip to Cambria, where my father-in-law grew up, so we can visit some cousins.
Here is my question. We need to find a place to park our trailer. Our friends live on Marsh Street in the downtown area. There are parking meters there, so it is not a suitable place to park the trailer. On the web I found Weiperts RV Storage; however, they have not responded to my email inquiry and have not returned my phone calls.
Any suggestions for where we could store our trailer for three nights near SLO? Thanks
Greetings fellow fiberglass pilgram.
You are welcome to park at my house and park off the road as I have room. I live in Arroyo Grande near Pismo Beach. My address is 1311 Sierra Dr. corner of Hillcrest Drive. I live near the freeway. I do not have a trailer presently but like to keep a eye on this website to buy one soon. Feel free to call, text or email if you want.
Kevin Coburn 805 709-8425
Oxford9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 03:11 PM   #5

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Do not leave it on the street in a metered spot. Most times the city ordinance prohibits parking unhitched trailers in a metered place on the street. Here is the SLO parking guide, phone numbers are on it. Call the phone number and ask about your specific situation, don't assume anything, you don't want to get towed away.

But keep reading...all is not lost, you have alternatives for parking.

Many cities and towns with a lot of tourism do have designated public parking lots where it is permitted to park an RV. They do locate them in walking distance to shopping and/or the local tourist attractions such as the beaches. You will find those types of parking lots in many, but not all, of the seaside towns along the Pacific Coast. They don't want RVs parking on the streets because of the width of RVs so that means they have ordinances against it but instead provide an alternative solution for the visitors who come in RVs. That is a logical way for towns to provide a win/win solution for the local merchants and residents as well as serving the needs of RV tourist.

Another alternative is to use a privately owned parking lot. The kind that sells spaces for all day long use. Those are the parking lots used by people who go there in the morning, work all day, then pick up their car in the evening. Because it is private property they can be more flexible about allowing an unhitched travel trailer that fits into a normal spot be there for a lot of hours. However you need to call first and make sure there is room to safely back a trailer into the parking space. If not obviously, you can't use their lot.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 03:36 PM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
If you or a family member are military or retired there is a FamCamp at Camp SLO nearby. Those are usually very reasonable and you can even plug in if you want. Although, Kevin's (Oxford9999) offer can't be beat!

Jon
JonRaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 12:16 PM   #7

Name: Harold
Trailer: 1975 Scamp, 13-foot
Redding, California
Registry
forum pages are not secure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxford9999 View Post
Greetings fellow fiberglass pilgram.
You are welcome to park at my house and park off the road as I have room. I live in Arroyo Grande near Pismo Beach. My address is
Great and generous offer. Probably should PM (private message) rather than post your address and phone here. The risk is small, but there is a risk of encouraging spam or unwanted attention.

Harold

PS: These forum pages are not secure.
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.JPG  
Doctor Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 02:45 PM   #8
mee

Name: Elaine
Trailer: Rialta
California
Registry
Don't miss having a Jalama Burger at the little cafe! When you visit Cambria, journey a bit north and see the elephant seals. Great walkways at the top of the cliffs. When by San Simeon, look for the Hearst Ranch/Castle wild zebras roaming the hillsides. Sorry--I have no idea where to park in SLO.
mee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 06:53 PM   #9

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Bigfoot trailer
California
Staying near SLO.

[QUOTE=DavidJS;736222]In May we will be traveling from Utah with our FG trailer to Jalama Beach County Park campground for a family reunion. Should be fun!
Any suggestions for where we could store our trailer for three nights near SLO? Thanks[

Are you miltary by chance? There is a base near by that we have used
Uchunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 07:22 PM   #10

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Los oso camp ground very nice and very close
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote