Satellite radio - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-30-2008, 10:02 PM   #1

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
I already know I want the Serius network. I want to listen to CBC and NPR and don't give a hoot about sports.

But, I know nothing about the hardware. I'd like to be able to move the receiver between the tow vehicle and trailer and perhaps to the company car.

I'd love some advice on receivers and what to look for and watch out for.

baglo

Old 07-30-2008, 10:39 PM   #2

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
.....go talk with the Kenworth Dealer located along Trans Highway. Don't remember their street name and #, but you can see it on the North Side of the Freeway headed west out of Abby, I believe ....they'll connect you up with a 'better' service. They have systems that are 'portable' car to car, car to house, car to person and versa vice.

This is where most all the 'car people' that I know go to when they want to get Serius, LOL!!

Old 07-30-2008, 11:09 PM   #3

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
I went to the Serius site and came to a conclusion.

I will simply go to iTunes and download enough free podcasts of favorite shows to last a week or two. My iPod and auxillary speakers are more compact and don't require anything I don't already have.

baglo
Old 07-30-2008, 11:21 PM   #4

Trailer: 2003 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft
I have Sirius and love it. They have merged with XM as of Monday. It's not clear to me what that menas - but ideally "dual" hardware would be on the horizon.

That said, I have it built into my car, but added it to the wifes and the tow vehicle. Used the "Sportster" model to do this - it's a nice radio. You should be able to get the radio and one base unit for free...then the bases with all you need to add additional vehicles costing $50 each. I thought that was high, but didn't find better deals....

In New Mexico radio is sparce away from the metro areas and I've become addicted to some of the talk channels. Love it on the road....
Old 07-31-2008, 07:14 PM   #5

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Well, I'd heard of their merger but didn't know if it came off or WHEN. I DO know there is a difference in the 'content' if you get the Canadian version virsus the American one. Kenworth handles the better of the tow (in MHO anyway).

iPods are a cool way to go. We have two loaded up with enough of our favorite 'tuneage' to last 3 whole days (72 hrs) continuous music before they 'repete'. A good choice for you I see.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:55 PM   #6

Name: Tom
Trailer: 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Texas
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
I've had Sirius for 2 years and hope to have it forever. My system is an add-on that many use if their vehicle didn't come equipted with Sirius (or XM). The XACT receiver looks like a radio face-plate and functions by receiving the satellite signal from an magnetic antenna on top of the car and sending the signal to the existing car radio. The XACT can be wired to an input on the radio or can broadcast on an FM frequency of your choice to the radio. The receiver can be removed and taken indoors or into your trailer and used with any radio. You will need an antenna outside for a house but not for a fiberglass trailer. I place the antenna beside the receiver inside our trailer and it works well. The only down side to the FM broadcast mode is that while traveling you can drive into a area where the frequency you're using is the same as a local station and you'll start to get static. You then need to change the receiver's output frequency which can be a hassle. The best solution is to have an input on the car radio so that the receiver is plugged in.

Tom Trostel
Old 08-03-2008, 09:33 PM   #7

Trailer: 1976 13 ft Scamp / 2006 Honda Element
For anyone using XM... I bought a brand new SkyFi receiver and Delphi boombox (sort of old technology, but does the job) on Amazon.com for only $50... runs off of D cell batteries or AC.

You can see it sitting in the background on the table next to my son... very portable... and sounds great. Of course when you get home, you can stick the SkyFi unit in a cheap docking station and listen to it over your own receiver/speakers in the house.

Click image for larger version

Name:	pic0.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	14901