Saturn Vue - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2006, 06:28 PM   #1

Trailer: 2002 Scamp 16 ft / 2005 Saturn Vue V6
Is anyone using a 2004 or newer Saturn Vue with 3.5L V-6 (Honda engine & Transmission) for a tow vehicle? If so, are satisfied with it? We have a Scamp 16 front bath.
Steven F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 01:21 AM   #2

Trailer: Play Pac ('Egg Krate')
Exclamation

Quote:
Is anyone using a 2004 or newer Saturn Vue with 3.5L V-6 (Honda engine & Transmission) for a tow vehicle? If so, are satisfied with it? We have a Scamp 16 front bath.

I'm looking at the same auto. The specs say the automatic will tow 3500lbs and has an option for the tow package $500 dealer installed. It includes the hitch and engine cooler.

Bonnie
Old 12-29-2006, 05:47 AM   #3

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
For what it's worth, Consumers Reports rates the Saturn Vue as "much worse that average" in its reliability records section. In the 2006-2007 models section of the 'Buying Guide' the entry for the Saturn says " The Vue has light steering and AWD system is slow to engage, interior fit and finish are subpar, and the front and rear seats lack support. A Poor in IIHS side-crash test without the optional curtain air bags and tip-ups in government rollover tests are negatives. Oct 2004."

Tom Trostel
Old 12-29-2006, 07:01 AM   #4

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft
I ownd Honda Pilot with same drivetrain engine /transmission. I pull a Casita 17SD and while the Honda engine is capable the transmission is not. The tranny was constantly searching for the proper gear and that is while towing in D3. The transmisson fluid required changing after towing in the mountains ( due to overheating). Honda transimission must be flushed because you can only drain three quarts leaving a majority of the overheated fluid in the tranny. Flushing is an expensive service. Installing the Honda/Vue recommended towing equipement ( trans cooler - pwr steer cooler and wiring and class iii recvr) will cost over a thousand dollars. Buy a vehicle with a factory tow package - save money and have a better tug to start.
Martin D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 12:49 PM   #5

Trailer: 13 ft U-Haul
Quote:
I ownd Honda Pilot with same drivetrain engine /transmission. I pull a Casita 17SD and while the Honda engine is capable the transmission is not. The tranny was constantly searching for the proper gear and that is while towing in D3. The transmisson fluid required changing after towing in the mountains ( due to overheating). Honda transimission must be flushed because you can only drain three quarts leaving a majority of the overheated fluid in the tranny. Flushing is an expensive service. Installing the Honda/Vue recommended towing equipement ( trans cooler - pwr steer cooler and wiring and class iii recvr) will cost over a thousand dollars. Buy a vehicle with a factory tow package - save money and have a better tug to start.
I installed a U-Haul transmission cooler myself. It was relatively easy, taking a total of 90 minutes from the time I jacked up the Element to do the installation to the time I was taking her out for a test run.

Total cost: $50 for the trans cooler and a quart of Honda transmission fluid.

I've towed at my capacity (1,500 lbs) for two years now on some steep grades through the mountains and haven't had any problem at all.
Buck62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 01:25 AM   #6

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / 1996 Dakota 4x4 V6
Look at the Consumer Reports website and you can find their organizational history and survey procedures. They defend their polls as scientific, but I don't think they meet the standard.

P
Palmer M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 05:46 AM   #7

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
<Moderator Hat ON>

I have removed several posts from this thread. It began to degenerate into a "Big-Three-Honda-Toyota" tow vehicle is junk discussion.

The topic was whether or not the Saturn Vue is a reasonable tow vehicle, and asked for Saturn Vue owner comment. Let's keep it on topic, folks.

<Moderator Hat OFF>

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote