Scamp 13' Deluxe vs Standard - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-15-2015, 08:13 AM   #15

Name: Frederick / Janis
Trailer: Previously Scamp 13 2002,2016. Scamp 16 on order
Michigan
Yes, we actually purchased a 2002 standard 13' recently and have been preparing it for our winter get-a-way. It took some work to repair/fix/tweak/clean/restore/customize everything. This was after shopping for almost a year.

In our experience, there is litle to no "re-sale" residual. A early 2000 13 will bring $6000 if top notch with or without the oak/birch cabinets. A/C, awnings, and full baths are primary on people's value assessment and pricing. Wood or no wood, red decals or gold decals, he pricing is remarkable similar, at that re-selling point. Just saying.

So, in the end, the wood is about personal enjoyment and taste and asthetics, really. That's my perspective anyhow. Do I still shop for the deluxe, late model Scamp? You bet I do!!!

Still would like to have it.

Old 11-15-2015, 08:52 AM   #16

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Hi, I was going to buy the Deluxe when i bought new in 2014. When it got down to the final ordering stages i backed out and went with the standard. I figured being a woodworker for years it would not be hard for me to convert the doors to wood and not be limited to just oak and birch. Well when I picked it up i was impressed with the cherry stained doors. Going over a year now and I find them to look very nice and easy to care for. So they are staying and i saved $3000. Carl

Old 11-15-2015, 09:19 AM   #17

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Scamp 13' Deluxe vs Standard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpfick View Post
...In our experience, there is litle to no "re-sale" residual. A early 2000 13 will bring $6000 if top notch with or without the oak/birch cabinets. A/C, awnings, and full baths are primary on people's value assessment and pricing. Wood or no wood, red decals or gold decals, he pricing is remarkable similar, at that re-selling point. Just saying...
Really hard to say, since after 15 years, condition is the single greatest factor in resale value, and since there are relatively few deluxes that come up for sale, and since there is no way to know what any trailer actually sold for.

But taking your assessment at face value, $3000 amortized over 15 years works out to $200/year. Are your enjoyment of the wood cabinets and the convenience of the front dinette layout worth that much to you?
Old 11-15-2015, 09:39 AM   #18

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpfick View Post
Yes, we actually purchased a 2002 standard 13' recently and have been preparing it for our winter get-a-way. It took some work to repair/fix/tweak/clean/restore/customize everything. This was after shopping for almost a year.

In our experience, there is litle to no "re-sale" residual. A early 2000 13 will bring $6000 if top notch with or without the oak/birch cabinets. A/C, awnings, and full baths are primary on people's value assessment and pricing. Wood or no wood, red decals or gold decals, he pricing is remarkable similar, at that re-selling point. Just saying.

So, in the end, the wood is about personal enjoyment and taste and asthetics, really. That's my perspective anyhow. Do I still shop for the deluxe, late model Scamp? You bet I do!!!

Still would like to have it.
Limited experience can result in false conclusions, the fact is that resale value of the deluxe is consistently higher commensurate with its original cost.
Old 11-15-2015, 09:52 AM   #19

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Why is that?
Why is what?
It would seem that your answer is included in your quote...
Its due to their unsurpassed durability and value."
Old 11-15-2015, 10:03 AM   #20

IllAnnoy
Registry
Consider the actual amount of extra fiberglass you get when you buy a Scamp16, is 3ft of extra space worth more than a deluxe interior? Only the buyer knows that answer.
Attached Thumbnails
mystery.jpg  
Old 11-15-2015, 10:35 AM   #21

Name: Mike
Trailer: Uhaul
Tennessee
Trailer brakes if not so equipped would be a MUCH better way to spend any extra money you have over wood cabinets and a dinette!
Old 11-15-2015, 11:34 AM   #22

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
I prefer fiberglass cabinets to wood simply because they are easier to clean/maintain. And as others here have said, you can create a lot of ambiance with decorations and mods.
And regarding standard vs deluxe, my first trailer was a 13' deluxe and I never used the toilet or shower for the first year. Having come from a lifetime of tent camping, like many of us, the trailer was primarily a hard shell tent; easier to tolerate bad weather and a better bed.
But I eventually started using the toilet and shower and now I'd never want to do without the convenience.

Walt
Old 11-15-2015, 08:09 PM   #23

Name: Martin
Trailer: Scamp
Florida
Have you considered the weight difference between the Standard and Deluxe?
Old 11-15-2015, 08:35 PM   #24

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
I mentioned this in a different thread, but I saw a brand new 2014 16' Scamp Deluxe in September. I was not impressed with the wood work. The wood work in my 1988 Deluxe far surpasses what I saw. Everything right down to the fit and finish. At one time, Scamp did have the best wood interior, I won't ever be able to say that about what I saw. If they don't pick up their game again, no one else will say it either. Chintzy comes to mind.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 10:05 PM   #25

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I mentioned this in a different thread, but I saw a brand new 2014 16' Scamp Deluxe in September. I was not impressed with the wood work. The wood work in my 1988 Deluxe far surpasses what I saw. Everything right down to the fit and finish. At one time, Scamp did have the best wood interior, I won't ever be able to say that about what I saw. If they don't pick up their game again, no one else will say it either. Chintzy comes to mind.
I'm guessing that you saw the birch interior, which has been variegated for a few years now.
It is a controversial look which some like.
The new trailers in oak still have the same matched panel look that they always have had and it is still the best in the industry from the dozen or so new ones which I have seen lately.
My trailer started out beautiful and it too has improved with age.
Old 11-15-2015, 10:19 PM   #26

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin B. View Post
Have you considered the weight difference between the Standard and Deluxe?
Some people might still like the Standard even after such a trivial consideration.
Old 11-15-2015, 10:51 PM   #27

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
1. I do not find the standard interior "sterile." Between the rat fur, cabinet doors, upholstery and colorful area rug we put on the floor, there are plenty of soft surfaces and plenty of ways to make any trailer feel cozy and home-like.
2. Wood cabinets will not increase your enjoyment of the places you visit. Most of the time you are in the trailer you are asleep.
3. If you are even a little handy, it is not difficult to convert the front sofa into a front dinette, and for far less than $3000. You will have to cut brand new fiberglass, though! If you do decide to go this route, you might want to work with Scamp on having the front cushion made in 3 or 4 sections to facilitate the conversion.

On the other hand,
4. I agree with Floyd that the quality of the wood cabinetry is excellent and durable. If that's something you will appreciate and enjoy over the years, you should consider it added value.
5. Consider the value of your time as well as the expense of converting the front sofa to a dinette in the cost equation.

And most important,

6. Have you toured both standard and deluxe Scamp 13s? In a decision like this, there's nothing like firsthand experience.
I'm with Jon and others. $3000 can purchase a lot of "glamping" decor. We have a basic 2011 Scamp and are very happy with it. Interior decor is important to me and I find that I can change up the look very handily with themed decor which includes curtain side panels, pillows, comforter, wall hangings and accessories. In addition, I create spare tire covers and use themed picnic tablecloths. See photos of autumn theme.

We thought we'd really use the table set-up but ended up leaving the bed set up all the time, eat a simple breakfast indoors, pack a lunch in our daypack, go for a hike and return to have our dinner outdoors. We do not miss the table. We use small trays for breakfast and use them to carry our dinner supplies outdoors.
Attached Thumbnails
Doug's art and Scamp 030.jpg   Doug's art and Scamp 026.jpg  

Doug's art and Scamp 028.jpg   Doug's art and Scamp 031.jpg  

Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 11:36 PM   #28

Name: Lynn
Trailer: Casita Spirit 16'
Indiana
If I was you, I would priortize your lifestyle. If having a dinette so one person can have coffee and journal while the other sleeps in, or one of you wants to go to bed early while the other sits up watching a DVD movie on a laptop, then the dinette is important - get it. I paid twice what I originally planned so we could have a dinette available for activities while others are sleeping. Have only spent 3 nights in my new 16' Casita and I already know I made the right choice for my lifestyle. And if the front dinette is right for your lifestyle, then I would get it up front. (Rather than cut up a brand new trailer to make it.)

Tags
scamp