Scamp 13 vs 16 - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-12-2009, 08:41 PM   #15
Trailer: 2007 Casita
After a discussion with "She who must be obeyed"

Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 01:56 PM   #16
Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
I think you're making the right call on the 16.

My first camping trip as a kid was in my parent's truck camper. I was in the over-cab bunk, my parents down below. I saw how much bother it was for them to put the table down and make the bed every night, then tear up their bed and make the dinette for breakfast every morning. Soon the TC was gone and a 22' Winnebago MH took its place... the permanent sleeping areas and permanent sitting areas were a joy. This become a high priority to me when shopping for our trailer.

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven... --Ecclesiastes 3
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 04:10 PM   #17
Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
This is not to say the original poster shouldn't get a 16-footer, as she's talking two humans plus two dogs; but, to address the bed conversion issue separately:

I saw how much bother it was for them to put the table down and make the bed every night, then tear up their bed and make the dinette for breakfast every morning.

Of course it's certainly nice if you can have both all the beds you need and all the tables you want permanently set up - no argument there. However, I lived for over two years "converting" every day. That's because I was on a sailboat, and my bed was one of the "living room" settees (long couch) by day. (So it was not the exact same conversion process, but I think my info can still apply.)

For me, there were a few things that made it totally fine, vs. constantly annoying:

1) The couch/bed cushions were of good quality and very comfortable for sleeping.

I mention this because to me, the stock Boler type cushions are not comfortable for sleeping, so comparing them to a "real" bed would fall drastically short. But that's not so much a fault of the set-up as it is a fault of the cushions not being of high sleeping quality. Then you buy a really good one piece mattress and think "Whew, I don't have to convert anymore," when part of it is that you finally have a decent sleeping surface instead of lower-quality stock cushion foam.

2) I did not try to make a "house" bed every night/morning, with fitted bottom sheet, big top sheet with a cute turn down flap, blankets with hospital corners, multiple pillow shams, bedspread, etc.

Instead, I used a fleece "bottom sheet" that was just about exactly the same size as the bed. I happened to choose fleece because in a humid, damp boating environment it is consistently dry and fluffy feeling. Then I used top sheet/blanket that were sized for the bed (and not for a home bed). And a regular pillow.

3) I had a quick, easy system for putting it away in the morning.

In my case, I had the case from a huge "floor pillow" (of which I had earlier discarded the stuffing). It was basically a 26" x 26" square with a zipper along one edge. To put my bedding away, I started at the foot, and "folded/rolled" it up in 25" dollops (kind of like when you fold a flag, but without the diagonal parts). Then I simply slipped the resulting square into the floor pillow case, and it became a day pillow on the "couch."

I tucked my sleeping pillow behind this large pillow and considered that good enough (the unit then became my "lean back" pillow for reading or whatever); but in a more public or dirty setting I would probably have either zipped a "day cover" on it, or had a separate "night cover" on it for sleeping. You could also cut a normal pillow slightly shorter and then just stuff it in the big "day pillow" you made with your bedding.

4) Then it was just a matter of rearranging the cushions (and, if it were a dinette in a Boler, lifting the table back up).

I'll note here that older Bolers (not sure about Scamps) have a different table mounting system that makes it much more of a pain -- especially when combined with a "3,000 lb." table. Newer ones have a U-shaped mechanism that means you only pull and drop or pull and lift, but never have to line up the table with a track (available from Scamp to retrofit). It also helps to build a table, because you can easily make it half or less of the weight.

My whole conversion operation took *maybe* two minutes morning and evening. Actually, I'd bet it was more like 45 seconds.

So, while it can certainly be nice to have dedicated spaces, converting can be made relatively agreeable.

I don't convert my rear bed now because I'm not a "table and chairs" sort of person; but I still have it set up to quickly and easily stow the bedding, so it becomes a nice lounge couch.

Raya is offline   Reply With Quote