Scamp 13 vs 16 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2009, 05:23 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Hi
I have been a lurker here for a number of years. We have waffled back and forth between buying an egg or building a small travel trailer. We think that now we are going for a Scamp. Since we live in Eastern Ontario we are a long way from Scamp and would like to see either a 16 or a 13 before ordering one. Our needs are simple and we do not want bathroom. There is 2 of us and at least 2 dogs (about 40 lb each). We are planing on some long journeys (Yukon and Alaska) as well as going south for the winter. We like to get out and about when we camp. What would members advise 13 or a 16? I tried to search for this information but 79 pages of answers was not what I hoped for.

Sandy C.
Sandy Christie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 06:20 PM   #2

Name: Parker
Trailer: Escape 19
Ohio
Quote:
Hi
I have been a lurker here for a number of years. We have waffled back and forth between buying an egg or building a small travel trailer. We think that now we are going for a Scamp. Since we live in Eastern Ontario we are a long way from Scamp and would like to see either a 16 or a 13 before ordering one. Our needs are simple and we do not want bathroom. There is 2 of us and at least 2 dogs (about 40 lb each). We are planing on some long journeys (Yukon and Alaska) as well as going south for the winter. We like to get out and about when we camp. What would members advise 13 or a 16? I tried to search for this information but 79 pages of answers was not what I hoped for.

Sandy C.
We absolutely had a blast with our 13' Scamp. It was so easy to live with, the systems are all simple, and it's very easy to tow. It fit in our garage, which was a big plus. We recently bought a 16' Casita with more amenities, such as a shower and real toilet, hot water, etc. We were a little surprised that actual storage space between the two models isn't all that different by the time all the different systems are installed. Still, I think it was the right move for us. Having said all that, if we had even one 40# dog, I think it would have gotten pretty crowded in the Scamp; maybe less so in the Casita. I think the best solution is your idea of getting a 16' Scamp without the toilet/shower. That will give you more useable space and probably won't increase the weight all that much over a 13'. It's easier to make an apple-to-apples comparison between the 13 and 16 without the toilet and shower, and I think the added space would be very much appreciated. Let us know what you decide!

Parker
Parker Buckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 06:31 PM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Since we live in Eastern Ontario we are a long way from Scamp and would like to see either a 16 or a 13 before ordering one.
You might try contacting the Scamp factory and asking if they have satisfied owner(s) near you that would be willing to show you their trailer(s). I think all of the "factory direct" manufacturers maintain a list of persons willing to do this. Most programs pay a "finder's fee" to the person who shows a trailer if that showing results in a sale.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:00 PM   #4

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Welcome, Sandy!

I have a Boler 13, of which the Scamp is a clone. I love my 13, and of course everyone is different, but I'm thinking that ff your dogs are going to be sleeping/hanging out on the floor, then that could get pretty crowded (you would have no place to step with two dog beds on the floor).

On the other hand, if your dogs will be lounging on the rear bed, or on the cushion of the front sofa (which, if you ether remove the back cushion or flip it up into bunk position, the cushion is about 28" deep at the center), then the 13 might be more doable for the four of you.

Also, many people get to the campsite and then set up a screen tent or EZ-up, and then cook/live/sit around outside; so if you are that sort, then again a 13 might be very workable.

However, if your two dogs are going to be living/bedding on the floor, and you tend to hang around/cook/walk inside the trailer, then I think 13 would seem very small. Of course a 16 can also be a bit narrow in the middle depending on your layout, but the 16 has a variety of layouts so you could keep open floor space for dog beds in mind when you ordered.

To sum up, I think a 16 without a bathroom will definitely be roomy enough; but I also think a 13 could work if your dogs share some of the furniture with you, or if you are "hang around/cook outside" people.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 07:27 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Arrow

We have a 16' with side dinette and enjoy the extra room. We looked at a few 13' Scamps at the factory and they are nice for sure. The 13 would be an easier tow, 16 more room, even more without the shower. We like the side dinette for we leave the back as a bed which is great and we can add as many foam mattress layers as we want and feel a need for. The bed is not comfortable without some for sure.

However, it all boils down to what your guys want and can live with.....not what we like.

We ordered ours sight unseen other than photos. Then went by the factory the summer it was to be made to see them. They seem to be made very well. It was the summer before the fire. The new 13' trailer are as tall as the 16s. A nice feature.

Can you get as large a frig in the 13s as you can the 16s, I can not remember.

Only complain, the bed is kind of narrow, but you can get one wider in a Custom Delux (wood interior).

Good luck. Hope you enjoy your choice.

Edit add: Looks like there are two options with side dinette:
http://www.scamptrailers.com/Portals...rplans16-2.jpg
Looks like I am correct about the frigs sizes:
http://www.scamptrailers.com/Showroom/13Tr.../13Options.aspx
Attached Images

2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 07:29 PM   #6

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I have always had two dogs in my trailers.. at one time..3!

Tripping over them never seems an issue. In my 13, as in my 17, they lounge on the front bench, sometimes with me too. When inside, they go into a "small space" mode and have not been over active for the space available.

That said, the biggest problem you will have is ... stink. I fulltime, have no carpet in my rig and limit the textiles as much as I can.. I clean daily.. it still smells a little like dogs in here.

Keep them as clean as you can, get a little doggie perfume and it shouldn't be that big a deal.

For two folks and the dogs.. I would probably go with the bigger trailer, just because of the times you ALL may be stuck inside at once.. rain etc.

You can always use the bathroom for storage. Every little bit helps.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 08:32 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
When I was looking to buy, I wanted a 13 footer... just about any egg-shaped trailer (they're so DANG cute), and it had to be used based on my budget. WELL, I couldn't find anything within a days drive that didn't need a total rebuild or was sold out from under me. Then I found a 16 foot Scamp Deluxe.... and it's ALL mine. Now that I know what I know, and what my needs have become, I realize things happen for a reason and my future required that particular 16 footer. I don't think now I would be happy stepping back three feet. I didn't think I wanted or needed a bathroom... oh but having it is NIRVANA in the middle of the night when it's raining and there's no porta potty to trip over or drag out of a cupboard. I use the bathroom as a storage area too. There's a tension rod close to the ceiling and I hang my coat in there, plus I can hang my wet towel and wash cloth to drip and there's no damage anywhere because everything drips in the shower pan. I've yet to use the shower tho... prefer the campground showers with all the hot water I need.

Just like a 5th wheel, that only people with trucks are looking to buy... only some people want a 16 foot trailer (and larger) without a bathroom. IF resale is a consideration, just be aware that you'll have fewer people looking to buy a trailer larger than a 13 footer without a bathroom. Doesn't mean it won't sell... just wanted you to know this.

The entire outdoors is your living room, but that requires reasonable weather or at least some way to get out of the wet and wind (screen room?). Start a pro and con list and figure in your budget... that will determine the best fit for you.

Let us know what you end up buying and be sure to share pictures with big grins!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:19 PM   #8

Thanks for the food for thought. An easy up or a cooking tent is something that I had not thought of. We would only plan to cook inside when it is too bad to be outside. I think we have more stuff to look at. I will have to talk with the other half about this.

Sandy

Old 12-12-2009, 03:42 AM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
I live in Toledo Ohio and have a 16' side dinette Scamp with bath that you can look at if ever this way.
It is under a carport so is easy to get into in the winter.

Bill K
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 06:17 AM   #10

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
You also don't mention what your towing capability is?
This may determine your rig more than anything else.

I went from a 13' Trillium to a 15' Trillium that were both fitted the same way.
I can not explain exactly why the 2 foot difference felt like 6 feet once inside?

Unless you need the 13' for towing reasons,I would go for the 16' especially with the dogs.
My girlfriend has 2 Newfoundlands which are like 5 40lb hairballs each and they loved the 13' but were a lot more managable in the 15' or the 16' or 17' I went to.
I do not let them inside the 16 or 17 and now I am happier but the extra space is valuable when the weather turns for sure.

Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 08:20 AM   #11

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe 2007 and 40' Allegro Bus
Send a message via AIM to RSchleder Send a message via Yahoo to RSchleder
We have a 13' Deluxe which is great for 2 people . the only "issue" is setting up the dinette during the day IF you want to sit at it. I don't think I'd want a 13' if we had 2 dogs. A 16' seems to be a better fit for 2 people and 2 dogs--IMHO!
Old 12-12-2009, 09:35 AM   #12

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
We went from a 13' Burro to a 16' UHaul. That additional space is great. Yes, it made me lazy - I do not take the bed down now, but it is great not to have to trip over the portapotty now. And while I love my hubby, it is great to have a few more feet between us when stuck inside when it is rainy or chilly.

We don't notice much of a difference in the pulling between the two trailers.

CindyL
Old 12-12-2009, 12:21 PM   #13

Trailer: 2007 Casita
I guess a good question would be is if you have tow capacity issues. If not I would probably go with the larger option, but frankly thats my opinion and may not fit your needs, another would be the bathroom ( I would not camp without my own! I don't do public, johnny gumps, etc) so again it's how I like to camp not how you like to camp. Only thing I can suggest for you is, if your dog's are active, not lazy daisies ( just hang in a dog bed and watch the world go by kinda dog) then the 16 might fit you needs alittle better. I have/had 2 Doxie's both under 20 pounds and 2 dogs and Dh and I made for a crowded trailer. One Doxie, was a lazy daisy, I could lay him down somewhere and he would stick there. The other is a busy girl so even her little 13 pounds moving around makes for a small trailer sometimes. Maybe mesuring out a 13 ft trailer area, and a 16 ft trailer area and spend 10 min in those areas and see which seems more comfortable. I like visuals, so for me laying it out to see what it feels like would help. Don't forget you will have less than the total sq ft-age due to cabinets, appliances etc. Good Luck
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 09:20 PM   #14

My thanks to all who replied. The information and ideas are just what we needed. After a discussion with "She who must be obeyed" I think we will be going with a 16 ft as there will probably be another dog joining our family (a Golden) in a couple of years. I got a pm from Alf about a 13 ft Escape but a 16 ft is what we will need. We currently do wilderness camping with access only by boat or canoe. Retirement is coming up and we want explore more with a bit more comfort.

Thanks again and Merry Christmas

Sandy
Old 12-12-2009, 09:41 PM   #15

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
After a discussion with "She who must be obeyed"

Enjoy!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 02:56 PM   #16

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
I think you're making the right call on the 16.

My first camping trip as a kid was in my parent's truck camper. I was in the over-cab bunk, my parents down below. I saw how much bother it was for them to put the table down and make the bed every night, then tear up their bed and make the dinette for breakfast every morning. Soon the TC was gone and a 22' Winnebago MH took its place... the permanent sleeping areas and permanent sitting areas were a joy. This become a high priority to me when shopping for our trailer.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 05:10 PM   #17

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
This is not to say the original poster shouldn't get a 16-footer, as she's talking two humans plus two dogs; but, to address the bed conversion issue separately:

Quote:
I saw how much bother it was for them to put the table down and make the bed every night, then tear up their bed and make the dinette for breakfast every morning.

Of course it's certainly nice if you can have both all the beds you need and all the tables you want permanently set up - no argument there. However, I lived for over two years "converting" every day. That's because I was on a sailboat, and my bed was one of the "living room" settees (long couch) by day. (So it was not the exact same conversion process, but I think my info can still apply.)

For me, there were a few things that made it totally fine, vs. constantly annoying:

1) The couch/bed cushions were of good quality and very comfortable for sleeping.

I mention this because to me, the stock Boler type cushions are not comfortable for sleeping, so comparing them to a "real" bed would fall drastically short. But that's not so much a fault of the set-up as it is a fault of the cushions not being of high sleeping quality. Then you buy a really good one piece mattress and think "Whew, I don't have to convert anymore," when part of it is that you finally have a decent sleeping surface instead of lower-quality stock cushion foam.

2) I did not try to make a "house" bed every night/morning, with fitted bottom sheet, big top sheet with a cute turn down flap, blankets with hospital corners, multiple pillow shams, bedspread, etc.

Instead, I used a fleece "bottom sheet" that was just about exactly the same size as the bed. I happened to choose fleece because in a humid, damp boating environment it is consistently dry and fluffy feeling. Then I used top sheet/blanket that were sized for the bed (and not for a home bed). And a regular pillow.

3) I had a quick, easy system for putting it away in the morning.

In my case, I had the case from a huge "floor pillow" (of which I had earlier discarded the stuffing). It was basically a 26" x 26" square with a zipper along one edge. To put my bedding away, I started at the foot, and "folded/rolled" it up in 25" dollops (kind of like when you fold a flag, but without the diagonal parts). Then I simply slipped the resulting square into the floor pillow case, and it became a day pillow on the "couch."

I tucked my sleeping pillow behind this large pillow and considered that good enough (the unit then became my "lean back" pillow for reading or whatever); but in a more public or dirty setting I would probably have either zipped a "day cover" on it, or had a separate "night cover" on it for sleeping. You could also cut a normal pillow slightly shorter and then just stuff it in the big "day pillow" you made with your bedding.

4) Then it was just a matter of rearranging the cushions (and, if it were a dinette in a Boler, lifting the table back up).

I'll note here that older Bolers (not sure about Scamps) have a different table mounting system that makes it much more of a pain -- especially when combined with a "3,000 lb." table. Newer ones have a U-shaped mechanism that means you only pull and drop or pull and lift, but never have to line up the table with a track (available from Scamp to retrofit). It also helps to build a table, because you can easily make it half or less of the weight.

My whole conversion operation took *maybe* two minutes morning and evening. Actually, I'd bet it was more like 45 seconds.

So, while it can certainly be nice to have dedicated spaces, converting can be made relatively agreeable.

I don't convert my rear bed now because I'm not a "table and chairs" sort of person; but I still have it set up to quickly and easily stow the bedding, so it becomes a nice lounge couch.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp