Scamp 13ft Deluxe Questions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-06-2010, 04:52 PM   #1
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Hi folks, we are looking at purchasing a new 13 ft dlx scamp w/o bathroom. Perhaps someone who has one could answer a few questions?

1. How big is the front table (i.e. l x w) and is it large enough for two (not too round) adults to use?

2. If the rear dinette is made up as a bed how much room is there from the floor to the bottom of the bed? Would a 14 3/4 inch porti pottie fit under there?

3. Is the floor fastened to the frame with bolts through the frame or self drilling self tapping hex screws?

4. Without a bathroom it appears you get a hand pump?? Is the water tank on the curb side even though the sink is on the drivers side? Is there a filler inlet? Drain valve inside the trailer or outside?

None of this stuff is on the web site and I searched the forum with no success.
Thanks, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:25 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

I am guessing that the only way you get a factory installed front dinette is to order it with the deluxe interior. That would mean that the cabinetry would be wood instead of fiberglass, but the actual fittings (sink, stove, icebox) would still be the standard version and not the upgraded Options unless you ordered those Options separately in addition to the deluxe interior. Link to floorplans

I can take a stab at your question #4.
Quote:
4. Without a bathroom it appears you get a hand pump?? Is the water tank on the curb side even though the sink is on the drivers side? Is there a filler inlet? Drain valve inside the trailer or outside?
Since a "City Water" connection is an Option, the standard version is a hand pump. I think a 12-volt water pump would also be an Option.
Yes, the water tank is on the curb side even though the sink is on the driver's side. The filler inlet for the tank is at the rear-curbside corner, just inches from the right tail light. I think the standard setup does not include a gray-water holding tank, so there would be no drain valve; just a drain fitting with a screw-on cap on the exterior driver's side of the trailer.

Others may come along shortly to address the other questions. I believe that the factory installed front dinette is a rather new offering, so it's table size may not be common knowledge at this point.
Old 02-13-2010, 06:57 AM   #3
Raz

Thank you Frederick for answering my post. Of course thats where the filler inlet is!!! How did I miss it??? Well I did some more poking around and finally called scamp. For future reference here's what I found:

The front table on the 13 deluxe is 26" wide x 28 " deep. (they went out to the factory floor and measured one for me!) I was told they don't sell many of this floor plan. I guess most folks who order a deluxe get the the bathroom.

There are 15" from the floor to the bed. (they measured that too!)

They use self drilling self tappings screws to hold the floor to the frame. These have tended to work loose on our current rig, but may not be a problem on the scamp as it has multiple floor panels and lots of screws.

Ordered without a bathroom, the standard faucet is a hand pump. As I have never had one before, I don't know if that is good or bad? The deluxe includes the city water which is apparently a hose inlet feeding a second faucet??

Thanks, Raz

Old 02-13-2010, 10:16 AM   #4

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Raz,

Before you ever hook up that city water be sure to go to WalMart and get a pressure regulator to put before your fresh water hose.

Can't answer about a second connection. We only have city water, no onboard water tank. We travel light and just carry a couple gallons of water.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:24 AM   #5

I'm also wondering about that 15 inches. I have laundry baskets that are 13 inches tall. We don't have the delux. Maybe if you did not have the table leg folded under the table (remove leg) you might have 15 inches?

Joy A has her potty under the back dinette which she turned into a full time bed. My guess is that her potty is not as tall as yours. Joy isn't available right now. I think pictures of her mod are on Yahoo Scamp tread.

Now I am curious and want to go out to see how much room is above our Thetford 135 if I were to try to put it under the table/bed.

Nancy
Old 02-13-2010, 10:57 AM   #6

Your new generation Scamp 13 and the delux must be different in measurement of seat height.

I just went out and measured our standard and there is not 15 inches under there.

Our Thetford 135 would fit (like Joy's does) if we wanted it there.

When we carry our larger porta potty we have to have it on the floor next to the closet. We have only carried that around once. Now we put our 135 up on a board to raise the height at night.

Don't remember how Joy did hers, but I have a feeling it is high (due to the step up from center of Scamp) and somehow supported when she pulls it out from under her bed.

Nancy
Old 02-13-2010, 11:10 AM   #7

If you haven't joined the Yahoo group you really should. Then you can look at Joy's pictures.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/scampers/

After you join go to the photo section. There are many pages of pictures. Joys are around 115, so go to the next page 3 or 4 times. The ones with the potty mod are in her second group. There are 50 photos in that group, and the potty mod is # 38 and # 49.

I have my account set up so I do *not* get mail from every post. I just go and look at what I want to see. Hope this helps.

Nancy
Old 02-14-2010, 03:16 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Red face

Raz wrote, "....the standard faucet is a hand pump. As I have never had one before, I don't know if that is good or bad? The deluxe includes the city water which is apparently a hose inlet feeding a second faucet?? " We had a hand pump in an old Holiday Rambler Truck Camper back in the early '80s. I liked it, it was quite, did not waste water and not hard to use. The old '60s something TC also had a seperate faucet for "city water". It is just that a faucet which will only work when it is hook to city water supply. It would have been neat, but in our old unit the plumping to it was tooo leaky, as in like a sieve.

It would not be much of a problem to replace the hand pump with a small 12v electric pump. We did on the one we had after the hand one stopped working. I say this, but looking at JC Whitney RV listings, I can not find the simple one they had in the Dark Ages. They have something much neater and looks nice, but more expensive.
http://www.jcwhitney.com/Electric_Faucet_1...0;0;2016984;0;0

The hand pump should be really nice.

2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 10:42 PM   #9

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Ordered without a bathroom, the standard faucet is a hand pump. [b]As I have never had one before, I don't know if that is good or bad? The deluxe includes the city water which is apparently a hose inlet feeding a second faucet?
Scamp keeps these two systems separate. Without a bathroom, the sink will have a hand pump that you use while boondocking to draw water from the fresh water tank. When you are in a campsite that has it's own water supply, you connect a white water hose (through a pressure regulator like Nancy said) to the trailer, and you use the single additional faucet to fill the sink and you ignore the hand pump and fresh water tank. Since there is no bathroom or shower, there will be no hot water heater, so no need for the familiar dual temperature faucet like you are used to at home.

For boondocking, a hand pump is the simplest way to get fresh water out of the on-board tank. My grandmother had a red cast-iron hand pump in her kitchen, along with a wood fired cook stove. More work than just opening a spigot, but nicer than carrying a bucket a long distance.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:39 PM   #10

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Raz wrote, "....the standard faucet is a hand pump. As I have never had one before, I don't know if that is good or bad? The deluxe includes the city water which is apparently a hose inlet feeding a second faucet?? " We had a hand pump in an old Holiday Rambler Truck Camper back in the early '80s. I liked it, it was quite, did not waste water and not hard to use. The old '60s something TC also had a seperate faucet for "city water". It is just that a faucet which will only work when it is hook to city water supply. It would have been neat, but in our old unit the plumping to it was tooo leaky, as in like a sieve.

It would not be much of a problem to replace the hand pump with a small 12v electric pump. We did on the one we had after the hand one stopped working. I say this, but looking at JC Whitney RV listings, I can not find the simple one they had in the Dark Ages. They have something much neater and looks nice, but more expensive.
http://www.jcwhitney.com/Electric_Faucet_1...0;0;2016984;0;0

The hand pump should be really nice.
I recieved a JC Whitney Cat. today, in it I found what I wanted to send you. Item # UU109978 - $27.99. However, the item # will not pull anything up on their web site.
I am sure one could order one by phone and maybe on line as well if you "taked" to someone, give them the item # UU109978 and the Catalog # 736J-02 & page # 79. Electric Water Pump & Faucet.

Hand Pump # UU179350 to see what one looks like: http://www.jcwhitney.com/jcwhitney/product...equestid=773730

Much easier to use than the red cast-iron hand pumps of old by great margin for sure.

I would like to have a hand pump in our Scamp, saves water as well as electric strain on the battery. But not as the only faucet, as a secondary one.
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 06:18 AM   #11
Raz

Thanks all for your thoughts. Right now we are waiting on an information packet from Scamp. While we really like our Chalet A frame camper, I have yet to see a 20 year old Chalet. With that in mind we decided to move to molded fiberglass last summer. The Scamp has the same floor plan as the Chalet, large bed in the back and a table up front. It works well for us. The big plus with the Scamp is the crank out windows. We don't wish to buy another trailer with sliders. Scamp seems to be the only manufacturer giving that option. Watching the mail box, Raz
Old 02-18-2010, 06:28 AM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
The big plus with the Scamp is the crank out windows. We don't wish to buy another trailer with sliders. Scamp seems to be the only manufacturer giving that option. Watching the mail box, Raz
No, that's not true. TrilliumRV also sells a 13 footer with jalousie windows. See this slide show of the exterior photos: Trillium 1300 Exterior Slide Show

I think you'd really like the Scamp, the Trillium just gives you more options.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:32 AM   #13
Raz

Quote:
No, that's not true. TrilliumRV also sells a 13 footer with jalousie windows. See this slide show of the exterior photos: Trillium 1300 Exterior Slide Show

I think you'd really like the Scamp, the Trillium just gives you more options.

At 46", the bed in the 1300 might work until the golden retriever decides to join us. That usually happens about 5 am. In any case, I do not believe there are any Canadian built ones left??? The 4500 would be our dream trailer. Pictures will be available in 7-10 days. That was a month ago. Until they are producing trailers of either size, I don't see that as an option. And I fear there are too many variables in that equation for me anyway. Raz

Tags
scamp