Scamp 19' 5th Wheel near Niagara Falls - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-29-2014, 07:34 AM   #15

Name: Eric
Trailer: Scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by j-rod View Post
So I have two daughters (both under 3yrs) and I'm unsure what to do about sleeping arrangements and whether I want a deluxe or a standard model scamp 5th wheel. The deluxe seems to have more storage, but the standard has the bunk bed/couch set-up.
j-rod - I have no experience with 5th wheels or deluxe scamps, but I'll share my experience. We like the white standard interior. It is relatively tough and cleans easily (which is nice for families). However, we did like the look of the deluxe trailers.

We have camped with the kids their entire lives. Separate beds when they are 3 are not a "must" but as they get older it gets more and more important quickly. We find everyone getting enough sleep is one key to a happier life.

Storage is always an issue because you fill whatever space you have. I backpack and when you have to carry everything you bring for a few days and 50 miles it gives you a different perspective on the definition of necessity. We find that even with 2 teenagers and a scamp 13' there is plenty of storage. It is just a question of how many optional items you bring. We use the plastic tubs to organize things and we added shelves and bins here and there in the camper to make use of the space it has. We also keep certain things in the minivan. We do what we call light/fast camping where we are moving around a lot and heavy camping where we go setup for a week and bring tons of stuff. When we bring lots of stuff the floor of the scamp is full of tubs/games/stuff and gets moved outside or to the vehicle when we stop. Search for storage on the forum and there are lots of threads with many creative ideas on how to make the best use of your closet and other spaces. We also added shelves above beds and screwed in plastic containers to create little nooks here and there to give everything a place.

I hope that helps. Feel free to ask questions.

Old 03-30-2014, 07:56 PM   #16

Name: Jared
Trailer: WTB a 19' Scamp
Ontario
so three beds?

Hey Eric,

Thanks so much for the input. I am getting the feeling that the scamp 19' standard might be the best option. it has the bunks as well as a queen bed and a dinette. I only wish that the bunks and the dinette could switch places, that would be AWESOME, but I talked to Scamp and they indicated that this wasn't possible. How do you and your wife find sleeping on the dinette?

Thanks again,
Jared

Old 03-30-2014, 07:59 PM   #17

Ontario
other trailer options

Hey guys,

The other trailer I'm looking at is the Skyline Eco-camp 21bh. It has bunks a queen bed and a dinette but doesn't have the fibreglass build that the Scamp 19' does. Are there any other options I haven't thought of that would be in the $20k range?

Thanks,
Jared
Old 03-30-2014, 08:08 PM   #18

Name: Eric
Trailer: Scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
How do you and your wife find sleeping on the dinette?
Jared, We don't have a problem sleeping on the dinette. We tend to sleep on our sides and snuggle so I think that takes less room. We do have a queen bed at home, but I don't miss it when we camp. I am 6'2' and when I stretch out I still can fit. As people have noted, it is not spacious so you have to know that up front, especially if you like lots of space. We choose to make the best of it and view it as a benefit. However, during some hot and humid weather a couple years ago when we didn't have AC, my wife went 4 nights without every touching me at all in the bed because it was so hot. That was how I got permission to modify the trailer to add AC.

I hope that helps. Keep asking questions if you have them.

I just got the trailer out of storage and cleaned it up yesterday. We are getting ready for a trip to the FL Keys. I can't wait.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:36 PM   #19

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
ex VT, now CO
I have a 2004 19ft Deluxe and pull it with 2013 6 cyl. Tacoma, four door, short bed. Bought it a year ago and put 8k miles on it last year, will be back home in Vermont after mid April from a trip to Arizona, so it will be another 7k miles or so. It works great for the two of us, with two kids it would be OK. Deluxe comes with a lot of storage cabinets and decent size bathroom with shower. We even made it to Chaco Canyon in NM, but had to repair a few things inside (stove and the exhaust hood) after many miles of terrible washboard road abuse. The drawers that I epoxied last year and secured for travel made it, but one of their supports popped out. That road is well beyond what should be considered normal use. I would recommend the Scamp 5th. I also posted how to mount the Reese hitch in the plastic bed of the 2013 Tacoma. (Search for my posts.)
Old 04-03-2014, 04:42 PM   #20

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
Are there any other options I haven't thought of that would be in the $20k range?
It sounds like Alf's 5th wheel Escape may be coming up for sale soon. I'm not sure of the pricing or if it has not been presold already, but it will be relatively local to you.
Trailer Tow Mirrors for a Nissan Frontier!!!
Old 04-03-2014, 05:42 PM   #21

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Hey guys,

The other trailer I'm looking at is the Skyline Eco-camp 21bh. It has bunks a queen bed and a dinette but doesn't have the fibreglass build that the Scamp 19' does. Are there any other options I haven't thought of that would be in the $20k range?

Thanks,
Jared
The Escape 5.0 5th wheel is another very popular alternative to the Scamp for many.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:03 PM   #22

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
It sounds like Alf's 5th wheel Escape may be coming up for sale soon.
I've been told, it's sold.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:41 PM   #23

Ontario
more questions

Sorry folks for not replying to all your great information, my youngest daughter is 5 months old as has been in the hospital all week getting over the flu. She's all done the flu, but still isn't eating enough to come home, been a stressful week, lots of prayer.
I was wondering if anyone has used the bunk beds on the Scamp 19' standard. My concern is that the kid on the top would roll onto where mom and dad are sleeping during the night? Also, how do mom and dad get into bed if the bunk beds are being used? Anyone use the Escape 5th wheel with kids? It lots beautiful, but I'm not sure if I would have fights between my two girls as they get older because they'd still be sharing a bed. hope everyone is having a great spring.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:43 PM   #24

Ontario
Hi, is also meant to ask: What are the common problems experienced by Scamp owners? I've heard about some people having door leaks. Is this a common issue?
Old 04-05-2014, 07:01 PM   #25

Name: Karen
Trailer: Formerly Bigfoot 25RB21 and Scamp 19
Colorado
We camped with a family of 6 in a standard Scamp 5er. With the bunk up, it was sort of like an elongated, huge bed up above. We usually had three kids up there and one in the bottom bunk. Adults on the dinette bed. If you had a standard, you could also put the two kids on the dinette bed, leave the bunks set up as a couch to sit on and sleep in the loft yourself. We preferred to sit up at the table at night and drink coffee at it in the morning so chose the dinette to sleep on instead. We had two dogs with us, too.

To answer your last question, we never had a problem with a door leak.

Tags
fall, scamp