Scamp 19 vs Escape 5.0 (single axle) - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2015, 08:56 PM   #21

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I see that you are a "junior member" here, so jumping to that invalid conclusion is understandable. My comment was not aimed specifically at your comment...Your opinion is both valid and welcomed.
What you have missed is the crescendo of unwarranted hyperbole over time.

...and intending to STAY quite "junior" here, me thinks!
Eric Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 09:02 PM   #22

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Sometimes, when one has a thin-skin on a subject, they see issues that aren't.
And, constantly defending a position itself wears thin.
Old 12-19-2015, 09:02 PM   #23

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Thompson View Post
...and intending to STAY quite "junior" here, me thinks!
This kitchen is not as hot as you think, it is only warm and inviting and there may be a pie in the oven... so stick around.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 09:05 PM   #24

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Sometimes, when one has a thin-skin on a subject, they see issues that aren't.
And, constantly defending a position itself wears thin.
True that!Maybe I haven't lost you after all!
Old 12-19-2015, 09:34 PM   #25

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
What you have missed is the crescendo of unwarranted hyperbole over time.

I surely hope you are not referring to my earlier post because there was not the slightest bit of hyperbole injected into my discourse. Everything I stated/reported was purely factual and I didn't mention every aggravating problem or incidence of what appeared to be shoddy workmanship associated with my Scamp.
Had I stated that it would be appropriate to put a set of wheels and a coupler on a Porta Potti and slap a Scamp decal on it then maybe that could be considered unwarranted hyperbole.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 12-19-2015, 09:38 PM   #26

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
I surely hope you are not referring to my earlier post because there was not the slightest bit of hyperbole injected into my discourse. Everything I stated/reported was purely factual and I didn't mention every aggravating problem or incidence of what appeared to be shoddy workmanship associated with my Scamp.
Had I stated that it would be appropriate to put a set of wheels and a coupler on a Porta Potti and slap a Scamp decal on it then maybe that could be considered unwarranted hyperbole.

Nope!That last sentence could be construed as particularly poignant, were I so inclined....
The first Scamp13 which I saw was an old model at a used RV lot.
It had elephant skin lining and it was sitting closed up in 90 degree heat.
I got the key and went inside it. After a few minutes of the stifling heat and the smell of cooking rubber and fiberglass, I called out to my wife....
Hey, you've got to see this thing, its like a cross between a goose egg and a porta-potti!But little did I know, I was hooked.
Old 12-20-2015, 07:11 AM   #27

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I can say that the deluxe Scamp interiors are very nice and the wood craftsmanship is very beautiful, and for the money Scamp is a good value. If downsizing I'd get a deluxe Scamp.
Old 12-20-2015, 09:44 AM   #28

Florida
Registry
Scamp 19 vs Escape 5.0 (single axle)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I can say that the deluxe Scamp interiors are very nice and the wood craftsmanship is very beautiful, and for the money Scamp is a good value. If downsizing I'd get a deluxe Scamp.

If you are basing "a good value" on the initial purchase price, I guess a Scamp could be construed as a good value. However, given the cost and time to correct problems, aggravation, and ruined trips that I was blessed with during the time I owned mine, I would contend that my Deluxe 19 was the worst value I could have gotten for my money.

Old 12-20-2015, 10:26 AM   #29

Registry
Quote:
If you are basing "a good value" on the initial purchase price, I guess it could be construed as a good value. However, given the cost and time to correct problems, aggravation, and ruined trips that I was blessed with during the time I owned mine, I would contend that my Deluxe 19 was the worst value I could have gotten for my money.

How about "a good value" being initial excellence, followed by 12 years of enjoyment with only normal maintenance, while still retaining more than 70% of it original purchase price.
While no product can be 100% flawless every time, my experience is much closer to reality than yours, that's why you can sell a 40YO Scamp for three times its original purchase price in less than 24 hours.

Let's compare our trailers after you have had yours for 12 years.(mine will then be 23YO)

What about if you base "a good value" on the initial purchase, minus the sale price? Or the number of HOURS it took to find a buyer for what you claim is the worst value you could have gotten.

A little perspective....
Old 12-20-2015, 11:13 AM   #30

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Come on, can't we all just get along? It's FAR more than brand or brand loyalty. They are ALL good.

Quit worrying about what someone else has or wants and enjoy the one you're with.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 11:42 AM   #31

Name: Sharon
Trailer: Chez Nous - a 2011 Scamp 16'
Texas
I agree Donna. Maybe, for a while anyway, Carl and Glenn should spend the bulk of their time over on the Escape forum (a great place, btw), reminding each other how lucky they are to own their particular memory makers. I REALLY am getting tired of this. Do the Oliver folks spend much time on the Escape forum touting the superiority of their memory makers? They certainly could do so if they chose. But why bother? As has been said a million times here: Love the one you're with. And PLEASE let me add: Allow others to do likewise.

Sharon
SharonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 11:55 AM   #32

I have said nothing about Scamp quality. My comment was about Floyd instantly defending Scamp any time somebody posts a negative comment.
This is a site for all moulded fibreglass trailers, which is why there are comments from people who don't own a Scamp. And, in this thread, the negative posts were from people who did own a Scamp.
I can't see a rule that says nobody can ever make a negative comment about any trailer or idea. That would make the site pointless.
And, if you were referring to me, Glenn has two 'n's.
Old 12-20-2015, 12:06 PM   #33

Name: Sharon
Trailer: Chez Nous - a 2011 Scamp 16'
Texas
I fixed the spelling of your name, Glenn. Sorry about that.

I constantly thank Floyd (in my heart) for his "defense" of our adorable little eggs. What can I say ...
SharonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 12:26 PM   #34

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Hi All,

I am too much of a newbie to have an opinion on this. Plus, we have owned a 2005 Casita for a month that has not been out of the driveway yet (I do sit in it with a cup of coffee, though ), so what do I know?

I just wanted to say how much I enjoy Floyd's integration of You Tube music into his posts from time to time. LOVE it!!! I am a big music fan 70s to current.

Take care,

Dean
DeanCHS1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 12:33 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonM View Post
I fixed the spelling of your name, Glenn. Sorry about that.

I constantly thank Floyd (in my heart) for his "defense" of our adorable little eggs. What can I say ...
BTW. The second 'n' is silent.
Old 12-20-2015, 01:01 PM   #36

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
We love our little Scamp!
Dissatisfaction comes from expectations not met. When buying a product brand new you expect that it has been QC'ed by the manufacturer, and it will be relatively trouble free. Departing on a hard earned vacation with a new travel trailer that is wrought with problems due to lack of craftsmanship or care would P'ss anyone off. These manufacturers can't afford to produce ultimate quality or they would price themselves out of the sweet spot where most customers are. They do need to develop QC checks to ensure that they do not neglect to complete their work properly. That builds public trust, good will and repeat customers.
In contrast, when buying a USED trailer you expect to have to deal with issues due to wear and tear, so you may not be so critical. I got a great deal of pleasure out of fixing many issues with our 10 year old Scamp before we took her out on the first camping trip. Most of the items were upgrades, not wear and tear. She is now 13 years old, and still has original functioning fridge, furnace, water heater, water pump, toilet, fantastic fan, and air conditioner. Axle and brakes were fine, but were replaced when I lifted the trailer to tow behind a lifted Jeep. Our converter was barely charging the battery, so was replaced with a four stage one.
We expect to see some of these items die as time goes on, and won't be blaming anyone for that eventuality.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 01:04 PM   #37

Russ.
Old 12-20-2015, 01:27 PM   #38

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:

Actually, CPW, given that all of the fiberglass trailers are directly or indirectly descended (and Scamp is a first generation decendent) of the Boler whose design came to life from a septic tank, your analogy may be particularly apt!
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 02:15 PM   #39

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
I agree Donna. Maybe, for a while anyway, Carl and Glenn should spend the bulk of their time over on the Escape forum (a great place, btw), reminding each other how lucky they are to own their particular memory makers. I REALLY am getting tired of this. Do the Oliver folks spend much time on the Escape forum touting the superiority of their memory makers? They certainly could do so if they chose. But why bother? As has been said a million times here: Love the one you're with. And PLEASE let me add: Allow others to do likewise.

Sharon
Did I miss the announcement that this had become a Scamp forum?

Why/how come? Seems to me there is a Scamp specific forum for the owners to hang out at already if they do not want to hear from those who happen to love a different brand of trailer.

I have always been under the impression that this forum welcomed owners of ALL brands of Fiberglass trailers. Thats a good thing as it allows people such as the original poster to ask the question he did ask and get feed back from others, even some who have actually owned both brands of trailers!

I totally agree with the "Love the one you're with" and even more so "Allow others to do likewise" EVEN when its something other than a Scamp
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 04:18 PM   #40

Florida
Registry
Scamp 19 vs Escape 5.0 (single axle)

Quote:

Sharon

Sharon, having owned a Scamp and now owning what I consider a superior FGRV and being a member of this forum I believe I am entitled to state my opinions on this forum, especially given the OP's original question. And if you don't agree with my opinions on Scamp quality I am sorry, but that does not give you the right to suggest I should spend my time on the Escape forum. No matter what the "defensive" Scamp faithful may say, it's not going to change the fact that I perceive Scamps as an inferior product to other FG trailers, and I do not believe I alone have this opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger H View Post
Actually, CPW, given that all of the fiberglass trailers are directly or indirectly descended (and Scamp is a first generation decendent) of the Boler whose design came to life from a septic tank, your analogy may be particularly apt!

Seriously, I was not attempting to make an analogy between a Scamp and a privy (the PC way to refer to a $#/+house). I was really only trying to let Floyd know that my dissatisfaction with my Scamp did not lead to hyperbolic posts (I have in no way exaggerated the problems/shoddy construction I perceived plagued my Scamp). Hey, if you love your Scamp, great. I absolutely hated mine.

Tags
axle, escape, scamp