Scamp 19 vs Escape 5.0 (single axle) - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-05-2015, 07:22 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Name: Richard
Trailer: shopping
Georgia
Posts: 13
Scamp 19 vs Escape 5.0 (single axle)

I've seen the Scamp, I know of a Escape 5.0 for sale. Other than the RX queen in the Escape how do these compare?
__________________

__________________
Richard in Georgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 07:58 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Posts: 24,432
Scamp builds two different models of the 5er... side or front bath. All Escape 5ers are side bath models with stairs to the loft. The side bath Scamp, you need to step on the front gaucho to get into the loft or self-modify for stairs.


Do you know what options are on the Escape? It's possible it was purchased with dual-pane windows which Scamp doesn't offer. And all exterior and interior LEDs.


Comparing the two is apples to oranges. Other than they both have loft beds, the differences can be huge. As much as I love my Scamp (and I DO), the build quality on my 5.0TA is excellent when compared to the Scamp.


It really gets down to what you want/need and how much you're willing to pay.
__________________

__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 08:28 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Name: Richard
Trailer: shopping
Georgia
Posts: 13
thanks Donna - 'preciate the voice of experience
__________________
Richard in Georgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 09:37 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 6,043
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Scamp builds two different models of the 5er... side or front bath. All Escape 5ers are side bath models with stairs to the loft. The side bath Scamp, you need to step on the front gaucho to get into the loft or self-modify for stairs.


Do you know what options are on the Escape? It's possible it was purchased with dual-pane windows which Scamp doesn't offer. And all exterior and interior LEDs.


Comparing the two is apples to oranges. Other than they both have loft beds, the differences can be huge. As much as I love my Scamp (and I DO), the build quality on my 5.0TA is excellent when compared to the Scamp.


It really gets down to what you want/need and how much you're willing to pay.
The front bath Scamp has stairs. To compare build quality one must compare the Deluxe Scamp to the Escape.
The Escape is larger.
Hoi Polloi opinions are of course irrelevant here, but either should last a lifetime with very little attention. We sometimes forget the quality and value of Fiberglass RVs. Both are gorgeous.
My Scamp is about as old as the oldest Escape and has needed no more repairs than the best Escape of the same age and has comparable fit and finish.
If you like the single axle 5.0, you must get it used or go larger.
They still make the Scamp19D.
__________________
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 08:41 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Jon in AZ's Avatar
 
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Posts: 5,555
Registry
I'm not sensing budget is a primary consideration here, but you can find a used Scamp 19S for a lot less than a used Escape. And a used19D, which as Floyd says, is closer in features and build quality to an Escape, can be had for under $20K.

Some of the differences are found under the loft. Scamp uses a ball coupler, while Escape uses a king pin set-up. Now that Scamp has partnered with Reese to offer a removable bed mount, there isn't much functional difference (other than weight). Scamp hangs the propane tanks and battery out in full view; Escape hides them in compartments for a cleaner under-loft appearance.
__________________
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 12:36 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Name: Richard
Trailer: shopping
Georgia
Posts: 13
Thanks all - the Scamp I looked at was in excellent shape and all of my RV experience has been with mass produced crapque. The loft bed is just too small. I'm going to order a Escape. I just can't figure out a) new 5.0, b) new 19 or 3) used old style 5.0
__________________
Richard in Georgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 12:40 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Name: Marv
Trailer: Escape 5.0 (sold) :(
Texas
Posts: 158
At one time we had a Scamp 19 on order (and then cancelled it); we currently have an Escape 5.0. There is more difference in the sleeping areas than just the queen bed. If you get the front bath Scamp (necessary for my height, 6'1") the sleeping area is fully walled in on all four sides except for the narrow opening for the stairs. Claustrophobic folks, beware. If you get the side bath Scamp the bed area is open but headroom in the bath is tight.

Except for a few mostly little things, the other difference that stands out for me is the effort to hitch up. The Escape has an electric landing gear (actually two electric tongue jacks). Back when we shopped, the Scamp had a manual crank that took forever to extend and retract the landing gear. Maybe that has changed now.

They are both good trailers. Personal preference can help a lot with your decision.


Edit: It looks like you already made your decision a few minutes before I could post. Oh well, I tried.

BTW, if you can wait until February, I know where you can get a nice used 5.0.
__________________
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 01:47 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 6,043
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv View Post
At one time we had a Scamp 19 on order (and then cancelled it); we currently have an Escape 5.0. There is more difference in the sleeping areas than just the queen bed. If you get the front bath Scamp (necessary for my height, 6'1") the sleeping area is fully walled in on all four sides except for the narrow opening for the stairs. Claustrophobic folks, beware. If you get the side bath Scamp the bed area is open but headroom in the bath is tight.

Except for a few mostly little things, the other difference that stands out for me is the effort to hitch up. The Escape has an electric landing gear (actually two electric tongue jacks). Back when we shopped, the Scamp had a manual crank that took forever to extend and retract the landing gear. Maybe that has changed now.

They are both good trailers. Personal preference can help a lot with your decision.


Edit: It looks like you already made your decision a few minutes before I could post. Oh well, I tried.

BTW, if you can wait until February, I know where you can get a nice used 5.0.
For those who do not suffer from an anxiety disorder, the front bath Scamp19 offers a cozy retreat and privacy, especially if you share the trailer with others, or prefer to have the "bedroom" out of sight.
It also is nice when one person wants to sleep and the other wants stay up and watch a movie.
I understand that Scamp now offers power landing gear, but I haven't confirmed that.
Curious...
Apparently you have decided to sell your 5.0. It looks like a very nice choice. Why sell? What are you planning to replace it with?
__________________
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 02:35 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Name: Marv
Trailer: Escape 5.0 (sold) :(
Texas
Posts: 158
Floyd, you're right, in that situation the Scamp would be great. I have heard of folks installing a curtain across the bedroom entryway for privacy in the 5.0 but I like your idea. I can see curling up with a book there on a cold gray afternoon.

My wife has problems climbing the stairs to the loft so we have an Escape 21 (bumper pull) on order.
__________________
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 04:25 PM   #10
CPW
Senior Member
 
CPW's Avatar
 
Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Flori-duh!
Posts: 934
Registry
I suppose I should chime in since I owned a Scamp 19 and sold it after 3 years of frustrating and excessive maintenance problems that quite frankly I should not have had to endure if Scamp had used due care in constructing the trailer in the first place (leaking Fantastic Fans (2), cracked fiberglass in the loft, a12v light not connected to power). That's not to mention a leak in the bathroom (toilet connection leaking from the get go), a failed converter, and a misaligned axle which wore out a tire within 3,000 miles. And lots of discomfort when camping because foam cushions do not a mattress make. I now have an Escape 5.0TA which is everything my Scamp could never hope to be. If something were to happen to it and every fiberglass trailer manufacturer were to go out of business except for Scamp and if I still wanted an RV, I would buy a "stickie." I understand many people love their Scamps; I hated mine. Of the 5 camping trailers I have owned over a 35 year period, it was the absolute worst. And although it had nothing to do with the trailer, I was not at all happy with the half-assed, UNSAFE hitch installation they did when I took delivery.


Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
__________________
CPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 06:30 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 6,043
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
I suppose I should chime in since I owned a Scamp 19 and sold it after 3 years of frustrating and excessive maintenance problems that quite frankly I should not have had to endure if Scamp had used due care in constructing the trailer in the first place (leaking Fantastic Fans (2), cracked fiberglass in the loft, a12v light not connected to power). That's not to mention a leak in the bathroom (toilet connection leaking from the get go), a failed converter, and a misaligned axle which wore out a tire within 3,000 miles. And lots of discomfort when camping because foam cushions do not a mattress make. I now have an Escape 5.0TA which is everything my Scamp could never hope to be. If something were to happen to it and every fiberglass trailer manufacturer were to go out of business except for Scamp and if I still wanted an RV, I would buy a "stickie." I understand many people love their Scamps; I hated mine. Of the 5 camping trailers I have owned over a 35 year period, it was the absolute worst. And although it had nothing to do with the trailer, I was not at all happy with the half-assed, UNSAFE hitch installation they did when I took delivery.


Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Other than that, how did you like it?
Have you heard any complaints from the guy in Ohio who bought it from you?(pre-diatribe of course)

Just about every fiberglass trailer manufacturer HAS gone out of business except for Scamp... while they just go on building the best value in the industry. Check out the home page on this site!

But really... I hope you have an ownership experience with your new Escape which comes close to matching mine with my Scamp and we hope to see you at the Sebring ScampCamp.
__________________
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 08:42 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
TheWanderers's Avatar
 
Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Posts: 622
Registry
I like everything I've read about the Escape 5.0
__________________
"Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R. Tolkien
TheWanderers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 06:05 PM   #13
Junior Member
 
Trailer: Escape
Wisconsin
Posts: 20
In terms of quality comparisons between Scamp and Escape I have experienced a VAST difference. We previously owned a 16 Scamp Deluxe and my experience bore far too many similarities to what Carl described above.

Dealing with Reace and Tammy at Escape, living with (and loving) our 17B Escape since 2010 has been completely the opposite; a fun, greatly enjoyable experience.

Perhaps Carl and I just got unlucky with our Scamps and Floyd's experience is more typical, I can only say how it has gone for me with the 2 brands.
__________________
Eric Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 07:53 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 6,043
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Thompson View Post
In terms of quality comparisons between Scamp and Escape I have experienced a VAST difference. We previously owned a 16 Scamp Deluxe and my experience bore far too many similarities to what Carl described above.

Dealing with Reace and Tammy at Escape, living with (and loving) our 17B Escape since 2010 has been completely the opposite; a fun, greatly enjoyable experience.

Perhaps Carl and I just got unlucky with our Scamps and Floyd's experience is more typical, I can only say how it has gone for me with the 2 brands.
Well, I have seen brand new Escapes with broken taillight wiring,and other problems, and have heard of several broken or cracked frames.
September 22, 2015


To Whom it May Concern,

Escape Trailer Industries is announcing a recall on the trailer frames manufactured for the 15’, 17’, and 19’ Escape Travel Trailers between 2009 and 2014. This recall pertains to all 3” frames with a welded joint where the A-frame meets the chassis rails. (Please see Fig A.)

CONCERN
Certain trailer frames may have been manufactured with a weak weld at the joint where the A-frame joins to the chassis rails. Prolonged flexing on a weak joint can cause a failure at this point.

The point is that almost none of the above seems to make the forum, and what little does is never escalated to hyperbole.
These are both fine trailers, and what IMO is a one sided reputation assassination is unwarranted.

__________________

__________________
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
axle, escape, scamp


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OR | For Sale: Rare 1987 Bigfoot Fifth Wheel, 19' single axle levi For Sale: Molded Fiberglass Travel Trailers 12 04-19-2015 07:37 AM
tandem axle vs single axle trailer Wayne Hill Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 26 07-17-2012 11:39 PM
Single axle tire safety Johnnie J Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 46 03-16-2012 07:56 PM
2 or 4 wheel chocks for a single axle trailer? JohnF Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 36 11-05-2011 01:12 PM
Tandem or Single Axle? Dana T Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 19 03-27-2009 05:54 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.