Scamp 5th Wheel Design - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-15-2007, 07:32 AM   #1

Trailer: Airstream 16 ft OB
Not talking about the interior here, just the exterior. Do you any of you consider the design of the Scamp 19 to be attractive? I know it's just a trailer but the shape seems appealing to me, sort of graceful in its own way with the bulbous nose, rounded corners and curved hatch. The Escape 5.0, although similar in form, doesn't have the same effect on me.
Steve R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 07:38 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I like the Scamp too. The only part I don't like, is the portion under the nose. Because it's so high off the ground you can see the bottom (if you're relatively short) and it looks unfinished. I mean, you are looking at the wood floor! Escape has a far more finished look.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 10:49 AM   #3

Trailer: Airstream 16 ft OB
Having not seen an Escape except in photos I can't comment on its craftsmanship but at $9k more it should be much better built. I was actually just commenting earlier about the Scamps general form. While the Escape 5.0 still looks like a nice 5th wheel it seems less attractive to me because of the boxier shape. Strange but I find the Escape 17 better looking than the equivalent Scamp or Casita for the same reason. Go figure!
Steve R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 11:17 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe

Name:   Scamp5.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  11.7 KB
Attached Images

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 12:14 PM   #5

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
I prefer the Escape 5.0. To me the Scamp 19' looks like a Scamp 16' (nothing wrong with that), but with a bedroom grafted on; in contrast, the Escape 5.0 looks like it was designed to be a fifth-wheel. Aesthetic tastes are very individual, and personally I like functional forms.

Thank, Donna, for the side-by-side comparison.

I had not noticed before how the Escape axle seems to be set proportionately further back in the body. I don't know if this is reflected in hitch weight fraction, since the placement of components inside is also important. Do owners of either model have the distance from pin or coupler to axle to share (PM or e-mail them to me if you don't want to clutter up this discussion). The setback may be the result of interior layout (which is definitely different) or inherited from the 16'/17' siblings, or deliberately chosen for balance, but it does make them look different, regardless of the reason.

The height of the middle of the Escape also tends to de-emphasize the front section, compared to the Scamp shape. Again, owners of either model could share bedroom interior height data, preferably direct to me.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp