Scamp 5th wheels - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-30-2017, 11:23 AM   #21

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
As to the need to lift a Scamp 19, we have an unlifted 01 Deluxe which has been upgraded to 14" tires but the axle is original so likely a little sag there due to age. The tow is a 2012 4WD Tacoma double cab short (60") bed with the TRD Offroad package and the hitch is a homemade affair attached to directly to the frame using the Tacoma's six stock bed bolts.

Approximate specs on my setup:
48" from ground to top of truck bed before hooking up
47" from ground to top of truck bed with camper hooked up
7" from top of ball to top of truck bed.
3" from top of truck bed to bottom of camper nose when hooked up
25" from cab to center of hitch ball
2" from center of hitch ball to center of rear axle (ball is to rear of axle)
42" from center of hitch ball to back center of rear bumper
63" cab width
65" bumper width

The camper tows level or slightly nose down if I have the Honda 3k genset and a cooler in the bed and extra spare tires and fuel cans on the truck roof rack (expo mode). I can make ninety degree plus turns with no cab or bumper interference and have not yet found a dip or hill steep enough to cause a bed to camper clearance issue (but I do watch this closely).

I also have an 05 1/2 ton Chevy 4WD extended cab and, although the bed is longer and wider, its not any higher. Newer trucks do appear to be somewhat taller but I think Scamp is putting lift blocks (2"??) or at least offering them as an option now so, if you're buying new, this may not be much of an issue.

Obviously comfort is a personal decision. I'm 6'4" and on the wrong side of 250# but the front bath layout works quite well for us (and it helps that Cindy is still around her acquisition specs some forty years ago). We picked up one of the Trav-a-Sak bedding systems a while back before they went under and its still holding up nicely.

Having said all this, the 5.0 TA is still our dream trailer. Hang onto the hotrod.
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 12:53 PM   #22

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
frank I went by us rents it in Columbia mo they have a nice looking scamper 5th wheel on their lot.

no idea what they want for it!!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 12:54 PM   #23

Missouri
price on 19

just went to their website 12,900 probably a dicker price!!

good luck

bob
Old 11-30-2017, 04:23 PM   #24

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
Here are some pictures of a very nice 5th wheel to gooseneck conversion setup a gentleman made for a scamp 5th wheel to gooseneck ball conversion.
Attached Thumbnails
Scamp 5th to goosemeck hitch conversion 1.jpg   Scamp 5th to goosemeck hitch conversion 2.jpg  

Scamp 5th to goosemeck hitch conversion 3.jpg   Scamp 5th to goosemeck hitch conversion 4.jpg  

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 07:30 AM   #25

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
We've looked at that pretty closely, and I do not disagree with you, but it really comes down to what the exchange rate is at the time we pull any levers, which is at least a year away.

Frank
An option I've heard bandied about once Escape stopped allowing folks to pay up front for their trailer (to take advantage of a currently high exchange rate and not worry about a future rate change) was to open a Canadian bank account at the time they ordered. You can get the current exchange rate locked in that way. Of course, if you change your mind, back out of the purchase, and the exchange rate changes, you are stuck with $29,000 Canadian dollars to then bring back into the US. Depends how certain you are with your purchase.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 07:33 AM   #26

Missouri
mike do you think some welder-machine shop guy engineered that? its pretty nice work at any rate!

bob
Old 12-01-2017, 07:48 AM   #27

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
An option I've heard bandied about once Escape stopped allowing folks to pay up front for their trailer (to take advantage of a currently high exchange rate and not worry about a future rate change) was to open a Canadian bank account at the time they ordered.
Escape has never had any policy in place that said you can't pay upfront for the entire purchase price of a trailer. BUT, putting money in a Canadian bank is NOT the same as when Escape Trailer Industries receives the funds. International money rates fluctuate minute-by-minute. And the full price of the trailer is determined at the minute ETI receives the funds. You can make payments, but each payment rate may be different. Anyone have a crystal ball?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 07:58 AM   #28

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
mike do you think some welder-machine shop guy engineered that? its pretty nice work at any rate! bob
Yes

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 02:47 PM   #29

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
2016 Scamp prices

I guess the scamp site has a sanitized version of their brochure. Here is a scan of the 2016 list as you would get from them by mail, listing the prices. I have no idea if 2017 or 2018 prices increased and by how much. Have fun.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2016brochureS19.pdf (390.6 KB, 8 views)
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 02:55 PM   #30

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
My Scamp has the 3" rise and with the 2013 Tacoma it tows like a dream. I mounted the hitch myself. It took me a couple of days of work after some planning and designing, but that was the first time doing something like that. The height of the bed and sides was all OK, and so was the horizontal distance from the ball to the bumper corner.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp