Scamp & a Vespa - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2019, 04:18 AM   #1

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Scamp & a Vespa

Just wanted to show you one of the folks I met here in my egg rich tourist town. They're from San Diego, '05 Subie & Scamp 13 with a 250cc Vespa on the rear. They load the TT heavy in the front and said it tows fine with no sway, guess it can be done. Kind of surprised me after reading of so many others that had sway with a bicycle or 2 on the rear. This is only for info/interest/wonder, so don't go sideways on me, I'm only passing on what I saw .

Oops, the pic was correct in my file and I don't see a way to rotate it.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0812[2718].jpg  
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 07:07 AM   #2

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Here we go. I would actually worry about that weight overstressing the trailer frame when hitting a dip.
Attached Images

Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 07:26 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I’ve towed mine with 2, 3, and (once) 4 bikes on the back. Always lots of weight forward. No sway, but 4 did make it a bit squirrelly.

The 13’s are pretty stable. I tested the 3-bike set-up to 70 mph and gave the steering wheel a waggle. Came right into line. In the end, the amount of vertical bouncing is what caused me to reconsider. The dynamic stresses on rack and receiver had to be enormous.

In the end I decided the best is... none. We now carry two inside the trailer, and discovered with weight centered over the axle the trailer handles like a mid-engine sports car, night and day difference.

This guy needs a Happier Camper HC1.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 02:55 PM   #4

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post

This guy needs a Happier Camper HC1.
You are right, Jon. Well, that guy is not a member of this forum, so he may never find out what's good for him.

I was thinking of those dips in the road, especially in southern AZ, which are well marked with big signs, and also indicated by scars in the pavement, made by vehicles that bottomed out. A friend from Tucson told us that they might fill with water quickly and she always has her reading in the car with her. It is wise to wait for the flash flood to recede and make it home safely, she said.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp