NE Oklahoma
Scamp Axle Alert

This is a 2009 report, but thought some may be interested:

http://kamperbob.com/eggcentral/ScampAxleAlert.pdf

Old 03-29-2013, 09:07 PM   #2

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Bob's alert document is great. There was substantial discussion of this issue at the time it occurred; that discussion was part of determining the nature of the fault.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:13 PM   #3

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
my '84 had that problem, so don't go off year, either.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:54 AM   #4

Name: Wesley
Trailer: 1989 19ft 5th Deluxe Scamp
Missouri
I was told by the PO that my '89' had the axle replaced around 8 years ago and it is a problem axle . No cracks yet but I will weld in some reinforcement anyway .
Old 03-30-2013, 11:03 AM   #5

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
Possible ALCO axle issue

After all that I have gone through on my build I am not sure that the trailer gods are happy with me. I read the attachment and I do have the ALCO axle. Mine is mounted sideways via bolts and was not welded. I decided to take some pictures and am a bit concerned with the disparity of the two sides. I am not sure if this is normal or not and would appreciate any input from the guys who have had first hand experience on their axles. I dont see any un-natural bends but I am not sure about how the gaskets look to me after I snapped some pixs. Not sure if the gap is normal or not. Regardless I will probably end up taking it to a true trailer guy for review and wont hold anyone's feet to the fire here - but would appreciate some input if you have seen similar. Again it might be normal or not.

Please feel free to take a closer look at these pixs. After I spent days doing the mod to increase my step height Im a bit frustrated now.
GMikea's Library | Photobucket
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:11 PM   #6

Alberta
Mike, all but last photo show where the arm goes into the axle crosstube... which is not a problem area. The last one is fuzzy and I don't see the potential problem area. I realize that this is tough area to photograph well.

The problem is where the axle brackets are welded to the frame. In a bolt-on installation with horizontal bolts like this, it would be where the part that axle bolts to is welded to the frame.
Old 03-30-2013, 02:15 PM   #7

Alberta
By the way - just to help those doing searches - it is "AL-KO", not "ALCO"...
AL-KO Kober USA
Old 03-30-2013, 02:28 PM   #8

Texas
My bad. I had Alco electronics on the brain. I will still take it in to be looked at. One of my concerns was on the what appears to be rubber gaskets in the headspace between the axle parts. I of course was using my magnification to blow up the pictures in my sw to look at it not thinking about just the post. Yep it was dark under there and a flash close up wipes out any picture at all.
thanks Brian.
Attached Thumbnails
007.jpg  
If you Rest, You Rust
Old 03-30-2013, 02:46 PM   #9

Texas
Here is the picture from the PDF alert file. It almost looks like there is a cap that holds a gasket in place and that the cap has slipped off or is loose. This looks similar to mine .
Attached Thumbnails
ScampAxleAlert_Image_10.jpg  
If you Rest, You Rust
Old 03-30-2013, 04:27 PM   #10

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMike A View Post
One of my concerns was on the what appears to be rubber gaskets in the headspace between the axle parts.
That looks like the end of one of the rubber rods; ideally these should be flush with the end of the crosstube but as long as the arm isn't pulling out of the crosstube, I don't think there's any harm in this position. AL-KO probably just didn't slide that rod in quite as far as intended. That's only a tiny fraction of the rod, if that's what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMike A View Post
Here is the picture from the PDF alert file. It almost looks like there is a cap that holds a gasket in place and that the cap has slipped off or is loose. This looks similar to mine .
There wouldn't likely be a gasket, but that does look like a cap plate which was welded on at a few spots and has come apart at one weld. I assume that the cap would be to keep stuff out of the axle internals, rather than for any mechanical retention purpose; better information is welcome from anyone who has the details.

UCF's Flexiride axles have a round shaft coming out of the rubber, so they can use a seal or bushing around it. They do apparently use a plastic (nylon, Teflon, polyurethane, something like that) bushing, which sometimes causes squeaking. With their three-lobed or square shafts, AL-KO and Dexter Torflex axles can't easily close up the opening this way.

Tags
axle, scamp