Scamp Camp Questions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2017, 04:50 PM   #1

Trailer: Converted Dodge Sprinter
Scamp Camp Questions

I'm in the market for a light weight TT to replace my cargo conversion toy hauler. After 40 plus years of motorcycle riding and camping old age and bad hips finally made me decide it's time to change direction. My TV will be a 2016 Grand Caravan with V6 and factory tow package, 3500# rated.

I was really leaning towards the Aliner, I like the low profile for towing, roomy look with vaulted ceiling etc. I finally made a trip to the nearest dealer and checked out all the models and decided they weren't going to work for me. I'm planning a 3 to 5 month trip out west this summer and my traveling style is to drive whatever I feel like for the day. Been as low as 50 miles (feeling lazy) to 600 miles (just had the urge to drive). I do mostly truck stop, Walmart and rest area type stops till I get somewhere I want to stay and check out for a week or so and the idea of having to open the Aliner to take a break would get tedious fast (not to mention being real obvious).

I've been lurking on this forum for a long time and really like the eggs but with them all being sold dealer direct I haven't really had a chance to check them out. Imagine my surprise and pleasure to find out about the upcoming Scamp Camp in Sebring. I live in Bartow which is only an hours drive from there.

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to give some background info but now the questions. If I go to the State Park and get a day pass to talk to some egg owners is there a day that would be better than another? I know from years of camping that people love to talk about their rigs whether it's their fancy 5th wheel to their brand new two room tent upgrade I'd really like to check out some interior layouts, would that be a problem?

Thanks for any info about the Scamp Camp you can give me.
Roger T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 05:04 PM   #2
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Can't speak to your Scamp camp question but I switched from a Chalet, similar to Aliner, to a Trillium 13'. Two reasons, first was the set up issue. Bathroom break, you have to set up. Come out, you've drawn a crowd. The second was all the moving parts. After 4 years things were starting to wear. We've had out FGRV for 6 years and are very happy. Good luck, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 05:18 PM   #3

Name: Anthony
Trailer: Scamp 13
Vermont
Oh no Roger...don't say it, too old to ride motorcyles?? I still have six in the garage and this year will be my 49th year of "legal" riding. I have to laugh though! My wife and I drove cross country to Yellowstone last September and tented for several nights. It got down to 28 degrees. When the ice from my scotch glass was still sitting in the glass in the morning I said that's it, it's time for a camper. Our Scamp is on order and should be done in July or August. Good luck with you camper purchase. Tony
Tony M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 07:58 PM   #4

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Roger,

My understanding, from an emailed schedule I got a couple of weeks ago, is that the day for tours is Wed, the 8th. That is when most folks will be expecting visitors. I would guess in the AM, but cannot guarantee that. Make yourself known, and let folks know you want to look.

You are 100% welcome to stop by my site, #26, and check out my 1999 Scamp 13. No bath, but has the privacy room where a shower/bath would be. I will be installing a composting toilet tomorrow, before heading for Florida on either Mon or Tues. It's snowing here tonight, so can't wait! I also just got done installing an Allure, vinyl plank floor - huge improvement over the carpet that was in it.

Hope you make it,

Lyle
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 10:15 PM   #5

Thanks Lyle, the Scamp 13 is one I really want to check out. The good Lord willing and the creek don't rise I will see you there.

Roger
Old 01-28-2017, 10:21 PM   #6

Tony, I can still ride just fine but with my bad hips I can't get on and off the bike LOL. And coming to a stop if there happens to be some sand or gravel on the road (just about everywhere in Florida) it can be a real circus act...and painful... to keep it upright. No complaints, I had a good run at it for a long time but a man has to know his limitations.

Roger
Old 01-29-2017, 12:34 AM   #7

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
How about a trike to keep you in the wind?
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 07:31 AM   #8

Name: Anthony
Trailer: Scamp 13
Vermont
Yes, a trike would work. That will be a consideration for me when the time comes. That or a little two seater convertible. One of our issues with towing the Scamp is that we won't be able to bring a bike along, so I am considering a truck as our next tow vehicle so we can put a bike in the bed and bring it along.
Tony M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 08:44 AM   #9

Name: Mike & Helene
Trailer: Scamp 5er
Florida
Roger, camper tours are on Wednesday and start around 9 a.m. If a camper has his, or hers, door open its ready for tours. Just stop and tell then you would like a tour and you'll be fine. All three models of Scamps should be on display.( 13s, 16s and 19s). Plus other brands will be there and some will be open for tours. It usually ends around noon or so. But if you get busy and don't make it then many are open till way past noon. Come by 102 and I'll be glad to show you my 19. Hope to see you there.
Old 01-29-2017, 12:22 PM   #10

Thanks Mike, looking forward to it.

Roger
Old 01-29-2017, 10:19 PM   #11

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Illinois
Tony M

After 62 yrs. on 2 wheels & the purchase of a Miata to replace my bikes , I too gave up riding . I tow a Kompact Kamp with the Miata when the urge hits . I have a Scamp 13 also with a Cherokee V6 . I love both units .
Jimp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp