Scamp Converter Woes - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-08-2010, 05:47 AM   #15
Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Check and see if your converter has a plug on the AC power cord.

Mine keeps coming Unplugged from the back side of the electrical panel.

Bill K

[QUOTE=Cyndi B.;222479]We appear to be having problems with our 2010's converter.

Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:12 AM   #16
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Originally Posted by george oviatt View Post
Yes, just replaced mine in my 2006 sd scamp 16'. Would not charge batt and lights would not work on 110v. Seems from my research they have had a lot of trouble with the American converter. However, I have owned another 16' 1985, a 19' (89) and a 2006 13' with no converter problems.
You have written a balanced and valuable comment.
While not denying, that there are problems with this product, you added a little perspective. Thanks...

It is the nature of forums to magnify any problem. Scamp used American converters for years, as have other manufacturers. The failure rate seems high when all you hear from are the failures.
Goodyear Marathon tires for instance, or torsion axles.
Anecdotal reports are a great headsup and are very helpfull, but they don't result in actual failure rates. So a few reports can cause a devastating impact on the manufacturer's reputation, while others with Higher failure rates go unscathed.
Toyota for years had an undeserved reputation for being of superior quality and guarded it by any means necessary. A few problems with throttles hit the papers and look at the results. The truth has always been somewhere in the mediocre middle.
The message here is straight off the cover of "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"....... "DON"T PANIC" .
While it can't hurt to check an item and benefit from other's experience, a general judgement of poor quality is a bit of a leap, so if you have an American converter which has worked well for years, check it for loose connections and dust bunnies if you choose, then don't give it another thought.... Paul Simon once wrote...
"Everything Put Together, Sooner or Later Falls Apart"

If there is one thing I know from 40+ years of fixing everything from kid's toys and clocks to heavy equipment and refineries, it is that Paul Simon's song was right....

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote