Scamp Deluxe - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2011, 03:58 PM   #1

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Scamp Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth G View Post
I'm putting in my order for a lil snoozy. Anyone out there have a lil snoozy already?? any advice on extras to order?? What did the pocono rally people think of the lil snoozy??

I just sold my 16 foot scamp. I dearly loved the scamp, but hate that they never upgrade and fix some of the known problems with their trailers. Scamp -- why can't you get rid of all the rivets?? Those little caps over the rivets don't age well, what a pain.... I also wish there was better storage in the Scamp, wish the front door fit the scamp better.

I've been searching for awhile, wanting to upgrade my fiberglass trailer. Just want a trailer that will last and last, and has less maintenance to take care of

ruth
The Li'l Snoozy looks like a nice trailer, and it is fair to compare it to the 16 Scamp, although I don't see $15 and 15minutes work every four years fairly characterized as "What a pain". and that's only if you store it outside in the elements.
BTW; they don't assemble the deluxe with rivets.
After changing the door gasket and latch on my Scamp, the door fits and seals beautifully and has for seven years.[Scamp now offers that gasket design aftermarket.]
During the honeymoon you see your mate as flawless.
During the divorce you see your mate as nothing but flaws.

Later you may see some of the imperfections in the Li'l Snoozy and look back with nostalgia on some of the virtues of the Scamp.

Best of luck on your next "trailer honeymoon" and I sincerely hope you still like it after seven years as much as we still like our Scamp. [No seven year itch here!]

Having owned several Scamps which were more than a quarter century old, I think that they have demonstrated their ability to "last and last".
Given time, your Li'l Snoozy may just prove itself as well.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 05:05 PM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Floyd says above "The Li'l Snoozy looks like a nice trailer, and it is fair to compare it to the 16 Scamp, although I don't see $15 and 15minutes work every four years fairly characterized as "What a pain". and that's only if you store it outside in the elements.
BTW; they don't assemble the deluxe with rivets."

Is the statement true that deluxe Scamps do not have exterior rivets? If so, I may consider buying one. Can any else confirm or deny this. Donna, are you there?
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 05:18 PM   #3

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Yeap, they bond wood inside with fiberglass then hang cabinets with screws from the inside.

I've never figured why they don't do that with the standard models as they bond a piece of wood for the couch back to hang from and the bench seats are screwed into wood bonded inside.

Now the bonding of wood would be in different areas because the Deluxe cabinets are a different size than the standard. I know this because I tried to get them to put a front dinette in my standard 13 and they wouldn't. I said just put the deluxe in. They said they couldn't because it would not fit as the deluxe models have different size cabinets.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 06:48 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I want to know why my 16' Scamp Deluxe has a ton of rivets and snap caps? I've yet to see ANY Scamp of any year whether a standard or deluxe... from the factory... that doesn't have rivets.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:08 PM   #5

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Floyd says above "The Li'l Snoozy looks like a nice trailer, and it is fair to compare it to the 16 Scamp, although I don't see $15 and 15minutes work every four years fairly characterized as "What a pain". and that's only if you store it outside in the elements.
BTW; they don't assemble the deluxe with rivets."

Is the statement true that deluxe Scamps do not have exterior rivets? If so, I may consider buying one. Can any else confirm or deny this. Donna, are you there?
I said "...BTW; they don't assemble the deluxe with rivets."

I did not say, or mean to imply, that they are not assembled with exterior penetration. The cabinets, bulkhead,and benches in the deluxe are assembled with screws instead of rivets.... but they still use the snap buttons over the screw heads, which are external.
The screws are applied directly into the wood through the shell. I have a bulkhead for the front bath and full periphery cabinetry on my 13, this all makes for the most rigid construction possible on a Scamp. Every screw in my deluxe shell is tight and dry after 7 years and over 50,000 towed miles.
I have replaced the button covers once so far, and did so as soon as I found a couple of them with a grainy feel, which is the first sign of UV damage. This prevents damage to the underlying washers and eliminates the need to extract screws (or rivets) to replace them. I bought the snap cover kit from Scamp and performed the task as described earlier.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:14 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
The interior construction may not use rivets, but the curtain rod holders, stinky slinky tube, stove vent cover (outside) and porch light ... do use rivets on the Scamp Deluxe. Definitely not a rivetless trailer.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:28 PM   #7

Pennsylvania
Registry
scamp deluxe

above were moved to start new thread.moved from other post- Lil Snoozy
The issue here is what is used in Scamp Deluxe exterior, screws or rivets?
Old 07-21-2011, 07:45 PM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
The interior construction may not use rivets, but the curtain rod holders, stinky slinky tube, stove vent cover (outside) and porch light ... do use rivets on the Scamp Deluxe. Definitely not a rivetless trailer.
What you say is correct, and I expanded on that in a private message just now to one of the other members who inquired off thread.
He was trying , apparently in futility, not to be a party to to a Hi-jack (LOL)
(Jim...if you read this please post my response to you )

I will point out, in addition. that none of the rivets which you mention are subjected to the substantial stress which is incurred by supporting cabinets,with the possible exception of the range hood which mine does not have.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:59 PM   #9

Pennsylvania
Registry
post by Floyd in pm to cpaharley
I do not mean to hi-Jack this thread and if there are any more replies I will move the Scamp rivet discussion to a new thread. But let me understand what you are saying. All Scamps have the exterior cap covers BUT, the deluxe models have screws in lieu of rivets under these cap covers and you say you have yet to replace any of the screws and have replace only the covers once and you have had no leak issues with the screws?
---End Quote---
What you understand is essentially true,Although I was refering to the structural fasteners.
They still use a few small rivets for such things as the curtain rod brackets.
I have had absolutely no issues related to flex or leakage due to the use of the screws.
My description of the rigidity of the interior construction is likely as responsible for this result as the fact that they more are securely fastened. It may also explain why I have had no door or window problems related to flex.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:02 PM   #10

Trailer: 1991 17 ft Horizon
Donna , I think you will find that Floyd is correct on this. You shouldn't find any acorn nuts on the inside of your deluxe, unless they changed some things over the years. Like you said curtain rods, outside light etc should be about it on the rivets. The screws still have the plastic cover/washer. By the way congrats Ruth I'm sure you will like the Snoozy.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:05 PM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
post by Floyd in pm to cpaharley
I do not mean to hi-Jack this thread and if there are any more replies I will move the Scamp rivet discussion to a new thread. But let me understand what you are saying. All Scamps have the exterior cap covers BUT, the deluxe models have screws in lieu of rivets under these cap covers and you say you have yet to replace any of the screws and have replace only the covers once and you have had no leak issues with the screws?
---End Quote---
What you understand is essentially true,Although I was refering to the structural fasteners.
They still use a few small rivets for such things as the curtain rod brackets.
I have had absolutely no issues related to flex or leakage due to the use of the screws.
My description of the rigidity of the interior construction is likely as responsible for this result as the fact that they more are securely fastened. It may also explain why I have had no door or window problems related to flex.
Thanks to all and my apologies for my part in the confusion
Old 07-21-2011, 08:06 PM   #12

Pennsylvania
Registry
So Scamp Deluxe have screws w/covers which do not appear to break as easy as the rivets do on the scamps. I did not know this.
What are the acorn nuts for? Are they too in the deluxe or just the rivet models?
Old 07-22-2011, 09:00 AM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul E Henning View Post
This must vary according to year. My 1987 Scamp Deluxe didn't have rivets -- it had screws. They used regular coarse-thread black phosphate screws to install the cabinets, screwed through from the outside, and capped. The screws were pretty rusted. I replaced them with stainless steel and new caps.
Pop rivets will not grip permanently into wood or the edge of plywood where any stress is applied, so AFAIK the deluxe cabinets have always been attached with screws. the floors on my 2004 were attached to the frame with what appears to be black phosphate screws, but the cabinet screws appear to be anodized or galvanized. (dull silver/gray at any rate.)
Old 07-22-2011, 09:00 AM   #14

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
How would surge brakes accommodate a break-away feature like electric?

I like the disk brake idea.

How you get away with $15 for 5 years? Do you do your own bearing packs?

Moderator: When will Lil Snoozy be added to the home page list & Outback?
Moderators may not alter the home page, only Administrator's may do this, but I'll pass along this and a couple other suggestions.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:06 AM   #15

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Pop rivets will not grip permanently into wood or the edge of plywood where any stress is applied, so AFAIK the deluxe cabinets have always been attached with screws. the floors on my 2004 were attached to the frame with what appears to be black phosphate screws, but the cabinet screws appear to be anodized or galvanized. (dull silver/gray at any rate.)
I wonder if I could request SS if I order one?
Old 07-22-2011, 10:14 AM   #16

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Is there a reason your eggcamper didn't fit your needs anymore? I was curious since you are thinking about going to the smaller scamp interior space. Or did your tow vehicle setup change? Thanks.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:43 AM   #17

Pennsylvania
Registry
I have always wanted an Airstream but they are too expensive and leak. Now that I'm into fiberglass I see there are a lot of options out there. I saw a 19' Escape at the rally and priced one out- close to $30K. Then I found pictures of the deluxe and the wood interior of the deluxe is stunning, so I vacillate between the 2. Also my Egg is/was used it needs more windows and bigger refer for my taste. But while I'm a caregiver, I'm staying with the Egg.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:51 AM   #18

I hear ya, it's nice to have that floorplan where the windows all face out the back. In my area, where i camp, all the lake views are out the back like that. I would sure like to see a deluxe first hand too. I have not had the opportunity yet since they appear a bit rare.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:54 AM   #19

Pennsylvania
Registry
here is my dream, if you like the rear views, this one opens up and there is a screen in the back
Colonial Airstream NJ - 2012 Airstream Eddie Bauer 25' Front Bedroom
Old 07-22-2011, 10:59 AM   #20

I have been in those at RV shows and didn't want to leave ha ha. I am like you, window shopping is fun and free

Tags
scamp