Scamp door way out of whack - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2017, 06:51 PM   #1

Name: Kathy
Trailer: Scamp 13
Idaho
Scamp door way out of whack

I recently bought a 13' Scamp. Love it, but the door doesn't line up with the opening. Big gaps. I am wondering if anyone else has tackled this sort of problem?
PilotPica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 08:35 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Yup!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

No really, if your hinge pins are worn, drill them out straight to 5/16ths and replace them with a stainless steel bolt.
If the hinge bolt holes are loose, worn or misplaced you can reposition them.
Tighten them if loose. Make an escutcheon for cosmetic purposes if needed.
Look under the trailer to see if there is any extensive rust bad enough to displace the body and change the door opening, do this first as unlikely as it is.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 11:06 PM   #3

Idaho
Thanks, I'll check those things first.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:10 AM   #4

Name: Steve
California
Post a close up picture of your lower hinge. Something doesn't look right.

Also check to see if the sub structure in the step area has failed and /or the side of the trailer body has pulled from the flooring in the area that the door hinges are mounted.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 10:44 AM   #5

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
Post a close up picture of your lower hinge. Something doesn't look right.
There is a gap in the fiberglass below the lower hinge where it attaches to the trailer. It almost looks like that portion of the hinge has moved upward from where it should be.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 10:49 AM   #6

Idaho
it does seem that the hinges are in the wrong position, but also looks like they were reattached in their original holes (by previous owner who insalled new hinges).
I've been thinking about taking the door off, holding it in place to see if it has any warping and notice where the hinges look like they should be.
Old 09-26-2017, 12:21 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'd be under this trailer and looking at the frame for cracks....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 04:33 PM   #8

Idaho
To all who have been following this post, the problem is close to being solved! I hauled my Scamp over to my metal fabrication friend with intention of getting him to manufacture a new arm for the lower hinge. Along comes my plastic fabrication friend who suggests inserting a half inch gasket between the door and hinge and moving it a half inch toward the edge of the door. After doing that and also inserting a gasket under the upper hinge, it is flush all the way around except a small gap at the bottom!!

I'll address the bottom gap by digging into the door after I get back from camping on Orcas Island An old towel will serve in the mean time.

I did check ALL the places that you all so kindly suggested. It is clear that the door threshold is a little wider than it should be however the frame is solid with no cracks, so I will be happy with these results and not pursue perfection. My Scamp will not be a showpiece. It's beauty is in the places we can go. After raising the axle (and installing a new one) I parked it at a trailhead in Payette Nat Forest.

Sorry no pictures...new phone and I don't know how to get them here.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:26 AM   #9

Name: Steve
California
I am glad you have addressed the problem and have an outcome to your satisfaction. Enjoy your Scamp as much as we do.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 09:42 AM   #10

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
decals

I wonder why Scamp doesn't run their decal across the door?

anyone

Bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 10:26 AM   #11

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post

anyone

Bob
Because they can't get the door to line up perfectly even in the factory The stripes would make that situation very obvious to new owners.

It is actually a very difficult (read impossible) task to get doors to be perfectly aligned especially on a structure that flexes and has curves involved. Gravity will quickly have its way with the door and even it it left the factory aligned the stripes would not stay lined up for more than a very short time. Solution....no stripes on the door.

The door to my Trailswest Campster has two small block of UHMW (very slippery) plastic screwed to the bottom edge of the door. The leading edge of the plastic pieces is wedge shaped. That way as you close the door, which has inevitably sagged over time on its hinges, it is then lifted and supported by those plastic blocks so that it fits properly into the frame. Those extra little support blocks do help keep gravity from having its way with the door. When I went to do some work on my door I discovered those blocks. One of them is missing but fortunately I have quite a lot of black UHMW plastic on hand as well as the tools to fabricate it to the correct shape.
Click image for larger version

Name:	door bottom wedge.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	112209
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 10:26 AM   #12

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Mine did go across the door from the factory (and still aligned after 8 years), but when I replaced the decals this spring I chose to leave off the stripes, retaining only the "Scamp" name.

Because Scamp builds every trailer to the buyer's specs, they will do whatever the buyer wants regarding decals, including leaving them off altogether. Beyond that, many owners remove or add decals after purchase, so pretty much anything is possible.

In this case, there has clearly been some mucking about with the door by a previous owner. It's anyone's guess why the stripe is missing. Perhaps it never had one. A previous owner might have removed it to hide the misalignment in sale photos, or it could be a replacement door. If it ever had a stripe, you would probably be able to see a ghost in the gelcoat if you look closely.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 05:20 PM   #13

Idaho
It was the opinion of another friend who has some fiberglass Rv experience, that the door was a replacement.
Old 10-05-2017, 06:23 PM   #14

Missouri
well my Scamp has been repainted I really like the decals running across the door now you throw a curveball at me do I strip or not?
Old 10-05-2017, 09:30 PM   #15

Missouri
jon I tried to contact scamp today do you recall what the decals run mine are not on there due to paint work!
Old 10-05-2017, 10:04 PM   #16

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Mine runs across the door and is still aligned after 13 years.
Attached Thumbnails
door latch 002.jpg  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 10:38 PM   #17

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotPica View Post
It was the opinion of another friend who has some fiberglass Rv experience, that the door was a replacement.
That would certainly explain the misfit. Here is hoping you get it leak proofed.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 05:55 AM   #18

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
jon I tried to contact scamp today do you recall what the decals run mine are not on there due to paint work!
Go to www.scamptrailers.com and click on the link to the parts store. They have prices for many parts listed. If you decide to order, though, phone is better.

Large "Scamp" decals are $14.50, small ones are $7.00, and the striping is $0.80/ft. Shipping can get you, so it's best to anticipate future projects and bundle a larger order all at once.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 07:02 AM   #19

Missouri
we have a local decal shop after being on hold for 15m I may take them the camper and the picture and they can have at it!

thanks

bob

Tags
scamp