scamp electricity? - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-22-2011, 10:13 PM   #1

Name: marc
Trailer: in the market
Missouri
scamp electricity?

Do scamps use propane and/or batteries for power or do they only have the option to plug in somewhere? Do any of the other fiberglass campers have the option to hoom up to a batterie to get the electricity to work on the inside?
Thanks in advance for any answers.

Old 10-22-2011, 10:20 PM   #2

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Scamps usually come with propane tanks & lines (but you can order them without, I guess) and with a battery for 12v DC lights and stuff, and with a way to plug into 'shore' power (normal AC electricity). Many if not most other FG trailers are like this too. But a few, like Eggcamper, are electric only (both 12v DC and regular AC).

How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 10:36 PM   #3

Name: marc
Trailer: in the market
Missouri
Thanks. We had a bigger camper that had all three then switched to a smaller retro camper that doesnt use a battery. We are wanting to switch to a scamp or similar but were hesitant to persue it without knowing that we could do the battery option. I appreciate your help.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:52 PM   #4

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfalmer View Post
Do scamps use propane and/or batteries for power or do they only have the option to plug in somewhere?
Most traditional Recreational Vehicles have both propane/battery and plug-in electricity. This gives you the option to camp however you wish. Lighting, water pumps, and fans primarily use 12 volt battery power. Heavy consuming appliances such as stoves, refrigerators, furnaces, and water heaters use propane as a primary power source. Then a converter is available to plug into a tethered power source. This allows the 12 volt battery stuff to run off of 110 volt plug-in power while also giving a second power source for the refrigerator and water heater. Additional circuits allow the use of 110 volt plug-in only appliances, such as electric heaters, air conditioners, and many entertainment systems. This is pretty much how Scamps are equipped, as other fiberglass travel trailers are also equipped.

Some manufacturers, such as Eggcamper and Lil Snoozy are primarily all electric; using both 12 volt battery power plus 110 volt plug-in power, and eliminating the propane option. Many owners of used rigs remove propane appliances and opt for all electric.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:02 PM   #5

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfalmer View Post
We had a bigger camper that had all three then switched to a smaller retro camper that doesnt use a battery.
Many classic 50's and some 60's trailers didn't have battery power, and most didn't have bathrooms, either... I don't think deep cycle battery technology was very good back then.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:16 AM   #6

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
My '84 Scamp has 110v power for one light (florescent), the fridge, and the power outlets. It also had a battery for separate 12v lights. Unlike most RVs, it did not come with a converter. I'm. It sure how the battery was to be charged originally. The fridge can also run on propane, as well as the stove. Technically, the fridge could also run on 12v provided by the tow vehicle, but it was never wired up to do so.

I removed the batter on the to tongue, as it was shot when I bought it. I re-wired the 12v system to run on a jump start pack. I also added a 12v outlet for charging cell phones and such. I replaced the 12v incandescent lights with LEDs.

If I spent weeks at a time in the Scamp, I would probably want a larger battery. However, the jump pack pasts for many days, so it is enough for my weekend excursions. The jump pack is also a work light, air compressor, and 400w inverter. It can charge off of 110 or 12v.

There are a lot of different ways that these campers can be set up for power.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:44 PM   #7

Name: Adrian
Trailer: Lance 1985~'Casita de Campo' ~23' 4"~Dinette Slide Previously: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette, Front Bath
New Mexico
Yep, Our 2005, 16' Scamp has 12v DC (House <in/on the trailer> Battery) power for most of the lights in the unit, 120v florecent light, 3 -120v outlets (one in micowave cabinet above the fridge, one on side of cabinet next to the on/off switch to the 12v DC pump, one under the side dinette seat) plus one outside on the right. The fridge can run on 120v or on propane (not on 12v DC). The stove & hot water heater are on propane. The brakes are also 12v DC electric.
Scamp Travel Trailers: 16 Foot Specifications

http://www.lilsnoozy.com/

http://www.eggcamper.com/

Going Small: http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...6.cfm#25443986

Tags
scamp