Scamp? Escape? Differences? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-06-2013, 06:13 PM   #15

Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
ummmm, the Escape 5.0 is my forever trailer...
Of course aside from that one!

Just seeing if you were paying attention?

Old 06-06-2013, 06:40 PM   #16

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
I think it goes beyond build quality, there's also the difference between customer service. There is an Escape somewhere in my future. I'm looking forward to picking out my own flooring, cushion fabrics, window covers and countertop formica. Scamp doesn't do any of those things, if you want something different you do that after you buy it. Escape is about as close to a custom built trailer as can be found in the all molded world. I'm going to want it "right" the moment I first hitch up. NOT after I get it home and change all that stuff to suit me.

YMMV
When I bought my Scamp I had a choice of several cushion fabrics,wall colors, and flooring.Don't forget that Scamp is the only one in the molded world to offer true custom cabinetry as well, which really makes it "closer".
I found mine to be "right" when I first hitched up.
The "big" difference is in the word "big".
I looked at an Escape 19 recently. It's a nice trailer, but it's a "House Trailer" as compared to the Scamp 13 which is a "Travel Trailer".
The customer service is excellent at Scamp, I have experienced none better.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:18 PM   #17

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Question

I have no experience in the area of wood cabinets inside an egg, and have an inquiry/question:

On a typical stick built TT such as i've had in the past (we don't consider our 38ft Mobile Suite "typical" so it's not included in this example), the wood cabinetry was something that over time would at minimum need some refitting and maybe even a face lift of sorts. We had a 32ft TT back in ~1983 that was stick built with aluminum outer skin typical of that era and would certainly have needed some cabinetry sprucing up after say 10 years of use or so?

OK my inquiry...On a fiberglass egg with outer shell... is there an advantage of having interior with a minimum of wood "cabinetry" and if so, are there options of going that way with either brand being considered? (I don't know the answer, though cari and i knew we wanted as little wood inside any new TT/egg as possible as we like the marine-look. And so our decision of egg-brand.)

Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:25 PM   #18

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
... I'm looking forward to picking out my own flooring, cushion fabrics, window covers and countertop formica. Scamp doesn't do any of those things, if you want something different you do that after you buy it. Escape is about as close to a custom built trailer as can be found in the all molded world. I'm going to want it "right" the moment I first hitch up. NOT after I get it home and change all that stuff to suit me.
YMMV
At some point one does wish to have exactly what they want as opposed to working toward it. I installed the first from scratch kitchen my wife had ever had, she picked out everything and enjoyed it for every year we owned the house.

On the other hand some of us don't figure the stew is flavored right until we dink around with it, and enjoy making the improvements exactly right. By "right" I mean exactly the way I do it! I see every trip as a chance (or excuse) to make another improvement before we go. Yes my wife still loves me, but I do drive her nuts.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:19 PM   #19

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
I'm biased of course, but I think the Scamp fifth looks like it has a cancerous growth.

baglo
Old 06-06-2013, 09:33 PM   #20

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I'm biased of course, but I think the Scamp fifth looks like it has a cancerous growth.

baglo
And the Escape looks like the box it came in!
I'm biased of course!
Old 06-06-2013, 09:59 PM   #21

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by accrete View Post
On a fiberglass egg with outer shell... is there an advantage of having interior with a minimum of wood "cabinetry" and if so, are there options of going that way with either brand being considered?
Scamp has fiberglass cabinetry as standard equipment and offers wood cabinetry as an upgrade option. They have been known to do custom design in the wood version if the customer was willing to pay extra for it. They do not customize the fiberglass cabinetry.

Escape has wood cabinetry and does not offer fiberglass cabinetry. They'll customize the wood installation.

Casita has fiberglass cabinetry and does not offer wood cabinetry, and they don't do custom installations either.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:12 PM   #22

Astoria Oregon
Registry
Frederick, THX for the clarification on options with the three brands you mentioned.

Other than if for whatever reason i _had_ to have some non-stock cabinet configuration i would always take fiberglass over wood as a structural part of an Egg. Guess i've spent so much quality time in glass-sailboats over the years i've grown accustomed to the care/feeding/feel of fiberglass interiors.

I know on the Parkliner the fiberglass cabinetry is actually fiberglassed to the shell to create a structural bond between the two. Something i would imagine is not done with wood interior to fiberglass shell.

Please don't take my love of fiberglass as a dislike of wood. There is a charm and mystique to an old school wooden boat that is hard to surpass in today's world of _plastic_ boats! Cari and I are surrounded by warm cinnamon hickory in our Mobile Suite, so the clean white cabinetry inside the Parkliner is a nice change on our adventures.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:23 PM   #23

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
I know on the Parkliner the fiberglass cabinetry is actually fiberglassed to the shell to create a structural bond between the two. Something i would imagine is not done with wood interior to fiberglass shell.

Please don't take my love of fiberglass as a dislike of wood.
Both Scamp and Casita drill through the shell and use pop-rivets to attach the fiberglass cabinetry. Scamp substitutes wood screws for rivets to attach their wood cabinetry.

Escape fiberglasses wood cleats to the inner surface of the shell and attaches their cabinetry to that so there are no extra holes in their shell.

I certainly understand that the wood/fiberglass thing is not zero sum, as I like them both myself.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:30 PM   #24

Astoria Oregon
Registry
Thumbs up

THX again Frederick.

Sounds like Escape has a robust design by incorporating the wood/fiberglass attachments. If one is going to design a nice glass egg, it might as well incorporate as few points-of-entrance for the elements and possibilities of gel-coat fractures down the road due to stress.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:27 AM   #25

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
THX again Frederick.

Sounds like Escape has a robust design by incorporating the wood/fiberglass attachments. If one is going to design a nice glass egg, it might as well incorporate as few points-of-entrance for the elements and possibilities of gel-coat fractures down the road due to stress.
It might... if the assumptions you make had merit.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:33 AM   #26

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
If one is going to design a nice glass egg, it might as well incorporate as few points-of-entrance for the elements and possibilities of gel-coat fractures down the road due to stress.
Well the few point of entrance is probable a good assumptions but not so sure on the other. Scamp has been putting rivets through the shell for a long long time and I am not aware of a gel-coat fracturing issue. I know my 21 year old trailer has seen a lot of miles over some pretty rough roads or least in its time with me and no sign of gel-coat fractures caused by the rivets... it has a couple of hairlines but it wasnt caused by rivets.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:43 AM   #27

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
The thing that irritates me is the way Scamp mounts curtain rods. I have 24 unnecessary holes through the shell of my trailer just to mount the DANG curtain rods. Stoooopid.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:58 AM   #28

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
LOL I spent part of last week ends camping trip drilling out old rivets on a friends Scamp and couldnt agree more on that front!

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
escape, scamp

« It's over | Thanks »