Scamp? Escape? Differences? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2013, 09:42 PM   #41

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A View Post
Before you lay out your hard-earned money for anything, you owe it to yourself to shop around. After you have seen the choices, the answer will be clear.
if you call/email Escape they will try and arrange for you to be able to see one of their trailers some place close to you. I suspect Scamp will do the same.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:50 PM   #42

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Dakota... Here's a pic. of our trailer the first time I laid eyes on it!!! at first sight...and it's only gotten better.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1000279.jpg  
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:09 AM   #43

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
I definitely like the looks of the escape 19', but it was sheer economics for me. I would never find one in my price range, so scamp it was. Plus, I have to modify everything, and there aren't old enough escapes that need that kind of work, either.

I have issues with not leaving things stock.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:07 AM   #44

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
I definitely like the looks of the escape 19', but it was sheer economics for me. I would never find one in my price range, so scamp it was. Plus, I have to modify everything, and there aren't old enough escapes that need that kind of work, either.

That's the beauty of buying older rigs. The cost invested is not high, an usually everything you do is an improvement It's pretty difficult to ruin one of these little FG units
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:29 AM   #45

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Samp and the lower Avalon

I've used both a Casita and a Scampand have been inside all the others at one time or another. There are differences but allprovide a wonderful way to view North America. Other than purchase price, to me they are all wonderful. My love is not with the trailer but the ability it offers.

We are presently in the lower Avalon and I must say it's not the trailer that counts though I admit to being very happy with our Scamp, it didn't cost much and is very reliable.

The first picture is the La Manche suspension bridge on the Eastern Trail. The original was taken out by a 50' wave. The second picture is of part of the Cape Race road. One camper called this the road from hell. Could not make it in his Nissan truck. If you'd like the full Cape Race or La Manche story drop me a PM.

Ginny now calls me the want-a-be Newfie.
Attached Thumbnails
20130606_110150.jpg   20130605_143037.jpg  

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:42 AM   #46

Kansas
Awesome pictures.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:39 AM   #47

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Sorry Norm but this is a Wannabe Newfie!

http://www.dogwallpapers.net/wallpap...-wallpaper.jpg

http://dogbreedinsight.com/wp-conten...undland-15.jpg

http://dogbreedinsight.com/newfoundl...d-information/
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:03 AM   #48

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post

One great thing about the Escape is that they (Tammy and Reace and crew) will modify your new Escape at the factory however you want so that you do not have to do those things yourself after you pick it up.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:32 AM   #49

Trailer: 2007 Casita
IMHO there is only one answer to the opening question, of differences.
Scamp/Escape are to very different trailers. Just a fact!
Only you can make the call of which will fit your camping needs!

But if you want as some have coined it, "Your forever trailer" I do vote for Escape! Honestly if I ever buy a new glass it will be the Escape 19......... Beautiful trailer, one of the nicest glass trailers I have seen.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:20 AM   #50

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
If money were no object, I'd buy a FG Escape. But it is, so I'm making do with a stickie imitation. We all have to do what we must do in order to get out there camping and exploring.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:31 AM   #51

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
To ME, a forever all molded towable means it will be the last trailer I buy. I'm fortunate, I own an oldy but goody already. Love it, but IT is not my forever trailer for many different reasons.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:01 AM   #52

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy P. View Post
Are the rivets "pop" rivets? My husband says that aircraft use rivets -
Yes they are.
The "pop" rivets used in aircraft are heat treated differently from what we normally buy on the retail level. I had a friend that worked in aircraft manufacturing give me some a while back. The rivets were so tough you could barely set them with the hand tool. I gave up trying to use them after 2 or 3. Definately more heavy duty than what is in our trailers.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:43 PM   #53

Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
Yes they are.
The "pop" rivets used in aircraft are heat treated differently from what we normally buy on the retail level. I had a friend that worked in aircraft manufacturing give me some a while back. The rivets were so tough you could barely set them with the hand tool. I gave up trying to use them after 2 or 3. Definately more heavy duty than what is in our trailers.
Aircraft use pull rivets, (cherry max, cherry lock, etc.),m but as you found out, they're heat treated, the stem stays in, and a collar locks the stem in he rivet for strength. I wouldn't use them on our campers, they're far too strong and would never break in comparison to the fiberglass. They're also picky on length used, a grip gauge is needed to measure the hole. They also have to have the right size hole, our campers aren't that perfect.
Old 06-08-2013, 01:43 PM   #54

Name: Adrian
Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA
Manitoba
Carol - I guess that's why we pay about five cents less for gas in our small town northwest of Toronto - currently here 122.3/l We of course have no transit unless you count the expensive airport shuttle!

This thread got a little off track so I'll try to get it back - We plan to buy as Escape, have considered Scamp but don't know if we'd buy a new Scamp - that fifth wheel in MI advertised for $7800 looks in great shape - it's tempting but we're not ready to buy - looks like it may only be next year now.

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:15 PM   #55

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Come on group, this thread isn't about fuel costs... the OP asked about Scamp? Escape? Differences?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:19 PM   #56

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Sorry Donna. Anyone want to comment on the aerodynamic differences between the two and possible gas savings in towing one over the other?
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:16 PM   #57

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
...Anyone want to comment on the aerodynamic differences between the two and possible gas savings in towing one over the other?
My dad and i are airplane buffs. We've flown to the Oshkosh Wisconsin Experimental Fly In and have enjoyed the bonding these times have given us. I remember reading about how Howard Hughes painstakingly included; "individually machined flush rivets that left the aluminum skin of the aircraft completely smooth" on his Hughes H-1 Racer he used to set a world airspeed record in that day. Soooo.... at at least flight speeds somebody thought it was worth the extra effort to have as smooth a skin as possible going through the wind.

Cheers,
Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:44 PM   #58

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Fuel cost discussion can be found...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Come on group, this thread isn't about fuel costs... the OP asked about Scamp? Escape? Differences?
The fuel cost discussion can be found at http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post394132

We now return to the trailer comparisons that Donna refers to.

Tags
escape, scamp

« It's over | Thanks »