Scamp? Escape? Differences? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2013, 09:39 AM   #1

Name: Miranda
Trailer: None
South Dakota
Scamp? Escape? Differences?

Howdy Everyone,

Can you share with me what you have found in differences between Scamps and Escape travel trailers? Are Escapes basically an updated version of Scamps? I like them both but looking inside the interior of a Scamp takes me back in time to our old family fiberglass 1970's Krager motorhome which used to made in Winona MN. That motorhome was great! Supposedly ahead of it's time, ugly with it's aero front end design but got good gas mileage for a motorhome, very well built and good memories. I still wish my parents had it. lol

Scamps look they have not changed much since the 70's which seems like they stick with what works and keeps the costs down offering a great value. Escape seems to be more modern with LED lighting, décor, option for outside shower, an available cold weather package, thermal windows and other options. Are my basic observations correct?

Both are excellent travel trailers and meet needs based on how they will be used and budget but any other observations?
Dakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:58 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I think it goes beyond build quality, there's also the difference between customer service. There is an Escape somewhere in my future. I'm looking forward to picking out my own flooring, cushion fabrics, window covers and countertop formica. Scamp doesn't do any of those things, if you want something different you do that after you buy it. Escape is about as close to a custom built trailer as can be found in the all molded world. I'm going to want it "right" the moment I first hitch up. NOT after I get it home and change all that stuff to suit me.

YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:19 AM   #3

South Dakota
Hey Donna,

I'm with you as far as customization. I've been to a website for example a company in Oregon where they update Scamp and other fiberglass trailers with various modifications. I'd rather just buy it new the way I'd like if it works within my budget. My dream egg would be a 19 ft Escape equipped in a way that would fit my future plans quite well. lol

Unfortunately I lack the skills mechanically to modify an existing fg trailer they way I'd like it which means I'd need to transport it and pay someone else.

I guess just wait and see what happens for now.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:43 AM   #4

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Howdy Everyone,

.... Scamps look they have not changed much since the 70's which seems like they stick with what works and keeps the costs down offering a great value. Escape seems to be more modern with LED lighting, décor, option for outside shower, an available cold weather package, thermal windows and other options. Are my basic observations correct? ...
Scamp did inovate at least once since the 70's. Added a side dinette floor plan, better matching the needs of empty nest campers who wanted a place to eat and a bed full time. And a bathroom!

And the overhead storage above table! Whooo Hoo this shows they are totally into outside the box design. Not

As you said a design that is solid and stuck with it. Win the game by hitting consistent singles.

Other companies come along, start with the knowledge of what is missing or desired in the market place and a blank sheet of paper for a design.

They have a chance to create a totally new experience.
Win by hitting a home run (or two).

I think that is why I like going to a rally, or the pictures on this forum, it's because I get to see how folks have done cool custom things to a basic design AND what innovations the totally new designs, or custom options have to offer.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:50 AM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
Scamp did inovate at least once since the 70's. Added a side dinette floor plan, better matching the needs of empty nest campers who wanted a place to eat and a bed full time. And a bathroom!
Oh wait you forgot they also at some point in the early 2000's? Scamp started to offer more than one choice of colour for the cushion covers instead of just using the same fabric on every trailer for a decade as they did previously. Shame they did that though as it makes it a bit hard at first glance to tell what decade the Scamp was actually built.

Oh and they also in the mid/late 90's made a change & started to put their electrical and water on the drivers side where the hook ups at most campgrounds are located & as most other mfgs where building, instead of having them on the passenger side which they did for years. That was pretty innovative.

All kidding aside, Scamps are great little trailers its just that the Escapes are a few steps up in regards to quality and giving the customer what they really want.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:49 PM   #6

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I am surprised that no one has mentioned the different heritage of the two. Scamp is essentially a descendant of the Boler, and Escape a descendant of Trillium. Both would probably deny this. There is also the matter of the price difference, but I assume that the OP is aware of this.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:03 PM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
Not much I can add to the previous posters, other than I spent over a year looking at Scamps, Casitas & Escapes. You can see my decision!
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:07 PM   #8

South Dakota
Yeah I know there is a price difference between the two brands. lol

Very Nice Egg Jon! I love your photos also!
Old 06-06-2013, 01:51 PM   #9

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Both would probably deny this. There is also the matter of the price difference, but I assume that the OP is aware of this.
Yup sadly like all things in life you get what you pay for
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:58 PM   #10

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Scamp is essentially a descendant of the Boler, ... Both would probably deny this.
Scamp does mention the bolar (sic) trailer on their site.
Scamp Travel Trailers: The Scamp Story

Wow! They have updated their history. The confirmation that they did indeed make the boler American initially is finally public. I have to update the http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...nts-26760.html thread!
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:28 PM   #11

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
The Scamp and Escape are not really in competition in a sense,they aim for different parts of the Egg market I think?

Scamp has the attitude that if its not broken,why fix it and can offer a better value at the entry level because of it.

Escape just caters to a different part of the market and does offer some custom options and maybe a roomier trailer at each place they offer a similar model.

DELETED MISTAKE IN OTHERWISE SAGE POSTING,I hope?

I have been inside both a bit and have owned a Scamp and have little experience that would stop me from getting another.

I think a Scamp is a much better deal for the money but.....

Also consider Casita which I think sits right in between the others for quality and Value?

I really like the Bigfoot(big feet?) the best of all Eggs I think. Even the older ones are better constructed and seem more solid to me.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post
Scamp offer the 19er which is a 5th wheel which Escape does not..
ummmm, the Escape 5.0 is my forever trailer...
Attached Images

Old 06-06-2013, 04:36 PM   #13

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
That sure is a nice looking trailer Donna.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:42 PM   #14

Quote:
That sure is a nice looking trailer Donna.
I think so too. Here's a Scamp 5er for comparison
Attached Thumbnails
Scamp5.jpg  
Old 06-06-2013, 05:13 PM   #15

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
ummmm, the Escape 5.0 is my forever trailer...
Of course aside from that one!

Just seeing if you were paying attention?
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:40 PM   #16

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
I think it goes beyond build quality, there's also the difference between customer service. There is an Escape somewhere in my future. I'm looking forward to picking out my own flooring, cushion fabrics, window covers and countertop formica. Scamp doesn't do any of those things, if you want something different you do that after you buy it. Escape is about as close to a custom built trailer as can be found in the all molded world. I'm going to want it "right" the moment I first hitch up. NOT after I get it home and change all that stuff to suit me.

YMMV
When I bought my Scamp I had a choice of several cushion fabrics,wall colors, and flooring.Don't forget that Scamp is the only one in the molded world to offer true custom cabinetry as well, which really makes it "closer".
I found mine to be "right" when I first hitched up.
The "big" difference is in the word "big".
I looked at an Escape 19 recently. It's a nice trailer, but it's a "House Trailer" as compared to the Scamp 13 which is a "Travel Trailer".
The customer service is excellent at Scamp, I have experienced none better.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:18 PM   #17

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Question

I have no experience in the area of wood cabinets inside an egg, and have an inquiry/question:

On a typical stick built TT such as i've had in the past (we don't consider our 38ft Mobile Suite "typical" so it's not included in this example), the wood cabinetry was something that over time would at minimum need some refitting and maybe even a face lift of sorts. We had a 32ft TT back in ~1983 that was stick built with aluminum outer skin typical of that era and would certainly have needed some cabinetry sprucing up after say 10 years of use or so?

OK my inquiry...On a fiberglass egg with outer shell... is there an advantage of having interior with a minimum of wood "cabinetry" and if so, are there options of going that way with either brand being considered? (I don't know the answer, though cari and i knew we wanted as little wood inside any new TT/egg as possible as we like the marine-look. And so our decision of egg-brand.)

Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:25 PM   #18

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
... I'm looking forward to picking out my own flooring, cushion fabrics, window covers and countertop formica. Scamp doesn't do any of those things, if you want something different you do that after you buy it. Escape is about as close to a custom built trailer as can be found in the all molded world. I'm going to want it "right" the moment I first hitch up. NOT after I get it home and change all that stuff to suit me.
YMMV
At some point one does wish to have exactly what they want as opposed to working toward it. I installed the first from scratch kitchen my wife had ever had, she picked out everything and enjoyed it for every year we owned the house.

On the other hand some of us don't figure the stew is flavored right until we dink around with it, and enjoy making the improvements exactly right. By "right" I mean exactly the way I do it! I see every trip as a chance (or excuse) to make another improvement before we go. Yes my wife still loves me, but I do drive her nuts.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:19 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I'm biased of course, but I think the Scamp fifth looks like it has a cancerous growth.

baglo
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:33 PM   #20

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I'm biased of course, but I think the Scamp fifth looks like it has a cancerous growth.

baglo
And the Escape looks like the box it came in!
I'm biased of course!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
escape, scamp

« It's over | Thanks »