Scamp Factory - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-27-2014, 03:00 PM   #29

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Chuck -
Definitely plan ahead and don't plan on any more than just electric .... if you can find a campground open at all.
We picked up our trailer in October of last year and couldn't find anything open.
Not only did they blow out the water lines to camp sites, they shut down their shower houses and/or closed their campgrounds entirely. :-(
We went south and finally found a campground in Des Moines, Ia. Even there, the overnight temp dropped below 30 degrees. In the Scamp, we stayed toasty warm with just a small electric space heater (my wife made me get up in the middle of the night and turn the space heater down). We naively failed to open a window and had condensation running down the windows the next morning.
Good luck & safe travels!
Ray

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV

Old 09-02-2014, 10:23 PM   #30

Name: Chuck
Trailer: Scamp 16 Deluxe
Washington
Thanks everybody! We'll be in Backus October 15, and there are a few campgrounds that might be open, so we'll probably be OK. We can always get rigged up in the motel parking lot, then head south lickety-split.

Chuck

beardrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:20 PM   #31

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Chuck,

You are a braver person than we to cross the mountains in October. If weather permits we might just try it this October. Would love to do the Oregon coast at that time of year.

Many Minnesota State Parks are open in the winter. They allow dry camping, no water for people who enjoy winter camping.

You will have shorter days and cold nights. Get a roll of reflexive (sp). It is 24 inches wide. cut it to the width of the windows with the scissor you bring. shove it between the window curtain rod and the window. I put two tiny velcro pre glued dots on the bottom to hold it snug. Makes a world of difference in cold weather camping. As above poster said, keep the vent cracked to help remove condensation.

Safe travels, Nancy
Old 09-02-2014, 11:23 PM   #32

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Washington! State or DC? I'll have to go back and look at previous page, I thought you mentioned Seattle. Are you thinking of going way south and then north again?

Nancy
Old 09-03-2014, 12:09 AM   #33

Washington
Hi Nancy, We're in Washington State, the upper left hand corner. Seattle to Backus to Durango, Taos, Santa Fe, Four Corners, etc etc then back out to California and north to Seattle. Hopefully we'll beat the worst of the weather, but if we don't, it will be an adventure. We spent last winter camping frequently in all kinds of weather, and loved it.

Cheers!

cg
Old 09-03-2014, 12:20 AM   #34

Name: Gene
Trailer: Scamp
North Dakota
Registry
I did a Google search and there are a number of campgrounds in the area. You can look them up and call around to get their operating dates. I used Ruttger's Pine Mountain. Nice place. Their page doesn't say how late they stay open. Looks like they open in May in the spring.
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...mn+campgrounds

There is a decent cafe next to the Cenex gas station just South of the factory. Ruttger's has cabins to rent.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:53 PM   #35

Washington
Per email from Ruttger's, they'll be closed. That was the first one folks (including Jim at Scamp) recommended. I've seen the bunch of campgrounds that come up on Google, and I've been calling around. Anybody ever stay at the Rock Lake campground in the Pillsbury State Forest? They tell us they will be open, and that there will be only a few people around - and they don't take reservations I'm totally ok with potluck, I just don't want to get too far from the factory until we've shaken things out a bit.
Thanks for all the input!

Chuck

Tags
scamp