Scamp Factory - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2013, 10:37 AM   #21

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWW View Post
My wife and I are thinking of taking a trip to the Scamp factory in Backus. Worth a 900 mile round trip? Doesn't look like much in Backus. Where do others stay and eat? David
We live 600 miles from Backus(1200 round trip).
When we were contemplating the purchase of our 13 Scamp, we made three trips total in the process.
1] To see the product, and get aquainted with the builders and the possibilities.
2] To place our order,and work out most of the details.
3] To take delivery at the factory.
The result was Eggy-Sue (the pull-it surprize). It's been 10 years since we placed our order and we are still satisfied, knowing that we got exactly what we ordered from people with whom we had developed a personal relationship,one which persists to this day.
We made numerous changes to our order, and even picked our trailer up on an off day.I think meeting them made the the whole process even smoother than it would have otherwise been.
It's a bit of a personality thing,but it worked for us and we would do it again.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:17 AM   #22

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
See this thread http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...our-62119.html
Old 11-14-2013, 09:38 PM   #23

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
It was definitely worth the round trip from San Francisco, California to Backus, Minnesota to pick up our new 2011 Scamp 13'. We enjoyed seeing our "baby" among the other youngins and to peek in on the factory. We camped nearby for a day or two while checking out everything on the trailer at Minnesota Resorts, Ruttger's Pine Mountain Resort, RV, Pine Mountain Lake, Backus, MN, seasonal campsites, swimming pool- full hookup. Everything was perfect on the trailer and with camping. We enjoyed kayaking with borrowed kayaks right at the shore at the campground.

On the way back we took a leisurely, once in a lifetime, trip through South Dakota (Mount Rushmore & Custer State Park), Wyoming (Yellowstone and Grand Tetons), Nevada and California. See photos: 1. Scamp factory, 2. Ruttger's Campground, 3. Custer State Park (famous for bison) 4. Grand Tetons.
Attached Thumbnails
140.jpg   007.jpg  

035.jpg   132.jpg  

Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:30 AM   #24

Name: Chuck
Trailer: Scamp 16 Deluxe
Washington
*bump*
We will be in Backus in the middle of October to pick up our new 16' DLX. Yeeha! We'd like to camp near Eveland's for the first night (at least) in order to shake things out a bit before heading off to the SouthWest for a month or so. Rutger's at Pine Lake is closed (something about new electric system going in).

So, does anybody have a particular recommendation for a campground? There's a few to choose from, I know. Besides the usual desires (quiet, safe, clean, etc) access to hardware (RV stuff) and groceries would be nice. We'll be hauling along our full kit from the 13 footer, but one never knows what we'll want to do before we leave the vicinity of the factory and we will have been on the road for four days from the Seattle area.
Thanks for any suggestions!

Chuck
beardrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:11 AM   #25

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Chuck
It's been about six years since we went to the factory. We went the last week of September and most campgrounds in the area seemed to be shutting down the first of October for winter. Just make sure you get reservations first. We stayed in a state park south of Backus.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:48 AM   #26

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
Chuck
It's been about six years since we went to the factory. We went the last week of September and most campgrounds in the area seemed to be shutting down the first of October for winter. Just make sure you get reservations first. We stayed in a state park south of Backus.
Eddie
I would follow Eddie's advice . Many of the campgrounds in northern Minnesota do not open until May ,many on Memorial Day and close shortly after Labor Day .Ask about availability of water and showers . Many campgrounds drain their water systems before frost hits usually in late September or early October. We went to the Scamp factory in late April to get a new axle and it was difficult to find an open campgrounds
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 12:23 PM   #27

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
This is funny because I TOO wanted to stay closer to the factory. But I was planning on staying in Rogers, MN. south of Backus...quite a long way from there. BUT IF there was a major problem, well better than the 1200 miles I was going to be when I got home (TN). It turns out that we went through MAJOR traffic in the twin cities on the way up. I knew if I stayed in Rogers, that I would be leaving EARLY and right into the Twin cities morning traffic again!!

Ok...back at Backus, we took the tour and loved it. (didnt like the lil old grumpy man that BARELY showed us our Scamp...AVOID him like the plaque!) Afterwards, we left heading south. It was pulling well and everything was just lovely, so we went around the twins on down into Wisconsin. We wound up traveling all the way to Wisconsin Dells and spent the first night. (Nearly 400 miles!) We didnt realize we didnt have a water hose, so we forgot that idea until we got home and stuck with the basics.

My decision was based on the fact that the cosmetics, frame, axle, tires, cool-running hubs etc were immaculate and running perfect. I knew anything electrical, plumbing, defective appliances etc, I could either fix myself or take it in (appliances) for warranty repair and they would pick it up.

I was sure glad the next morning to be that much closer to home. So, I cant help on staying around Backus, but alot of people do. But I can tell you the wife and I felt it a GREAT adventure going to Backus and pick up our Scamp and we'd gladly do it again.

Darral (Nothing was wrong on the Scamp except ONE little drip out of the "trap" under the cabinet. 1/2 twist of the screw and it was fixed. )
Darral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 01:53 PM   #28

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Van Camper
New Brunswick
Leech Lake Corps of Engineers Park open until October 31. Electric and some water sites and a dumping station. Clean washrooms and showers about half hour from Backus.

Cross Lake COE also open until October 31 but have never been there

Sent from my TOSHIBA ENCORE 2 WT8-B using Tapatalk
Briantb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 02:00 PM   #29

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Chuck -
Definitely plan ahead and don't plan on any more than just electric .... if you can find a campground open at all.
We picked up our trailer in October of last year and couldn't find anything open.
Not only did they blow out the water lines to camp sites, they shut down their shower houses and/or closed their campgrounds entirely. :-(
We went south and finally found a campground in Des Moines, Ia. Even there, the overnight temp dropped below 30 degrees. In the Scamp, we stayed toasty warm with just a small electric space heater (my wife made me get up in the middle of the night and turn the space heater down). We naively failed to open a window and had condensation running down the windows the next morning.
Good luck & safe travels!
Ray

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:23 PM   #30

Washington
Thanks everybody! We'll be in Backus October 15, and there are a few campgrounds that might be open, so we'll probably be OK. We can always get rigged up in the motel parking lot, then head south lickety-split.

Chuck
Old 09-02-2014, 10:20 PM   #31

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Chuck,

You are a braver person than we to cross the mountains in October. If weather permits we might just try it this October. Would love to do the Oregon coast at that time of year.

Many Minnesota State Parks are open in the winter. They allow dry camping, no water for people who enjoy winter camping.

You will have shorter days and cold nights. Get a roll of reflexive (sp). It is 24 inches wide. cut it to the width of the windows with the scissor you bring. shove it between the window curtain rod and the window. I put two tiny velcro pre glued dots on the bottom to hold it snug. Makes a world of difference in cold weather camping. As above poster said, keep the vent cracked to help remove condensation.

Safe travels, Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:23 PM   #32

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Washington! State or DC? I'll have to go back and look at previous page, I thought you mentioned Seattle. Are you thinking of going way south and then north again?

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:09 PM   #33

Washington
Hi Nancy, We're in Washington State, the upper left hand corner. Seattle to Backus to Durango, Taos, Santa Fe, Four Corners, etc etc then back out to California and north to Seattle. Hopefully we'll beat the worst of the weather, but if we don't, it will be an adventure. We spent last winter camping frequently in all kinds of weather, and loved it.

Cheers!

cg
Old 09-02-2014, 11:20 PM   #34

Trailer: Casita
Registry
I did a Google search and there are a number of campgrounds in the area. You can look them up and call around to get their operating dates. I used Ruttger's Pine Mountain. Nice place. Their page doesn't say how late they stay open. Looks like they open in May in the spring.
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...mn+campgrounds

There is a decent cafe next to the Cenex gas station just South of the factory. Ruttger's has cabins to rent.
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:53 PM   #35

Washington
Per email from Ruttger's, they'll be closed. That was the first one folks (including Jim at Scamp) recommended. I've seen the bunch of campgrounds that come up on Google, and I've been calling around. Anybody ever stay at the Rock Lake campground in the Pillsbury State Forest? They tell us they will be open, and that there will be only a few people around - and they don't take reservations I'm totally ok with potluck, I just don't want to get too far from the factory until we've shaken things out a bit.
Thanks for all the input!

Chuck

Tags
scamp