SCAMP FACTORY FIRE - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-17-2006, 04:47 PM   #71

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Here's another message from the Scampers Yahoo Groups. This one sounds like it could be from somebody at or close to Scamp.

As everyone knows by now, A fire ( and ensuing explosions )
destroyed the Scamp factory on Fri 1/14. No employees were hurt, but
the building is a total loss. Scamp was actually in THREE different
buildings: The Welding Shop, The Custom Deluxe Shop and the main
Production Shop. The Production Shop was the building that was
destroyed in the fire. Luckly the employee that was in the building
was able to save ALOT of important records and the companys
computers.

What is the Future for SCAMP ????

Scamp does plan on rebuilding as soon as all the legal stuff is
done. For now, Scamp will try to complete the units that were stored
in the back lot with the space they have. A timeline as to WHEN the
factory will be up and going is not yet known.

Scamp has battled through alot of challedges before, and they will
battle through this one as well. The one thing Scamp does need now
is the support of all the owners.

More info as it becomes known .......

Old 01-17-2006, 04:59 PM   #72

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Scamp has battled through alot of challedges before, and they will
battle through this one as well. The one thing Scamp does need now
is the support of all the owners.

More info as it becomes known .......[/i]
SEND CARDS!! Let them know they have a huge following of supporters:

Scamp Trailers
P.O. Box 2
Backus, Minnesota 56435

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 11:26 AM   #73

Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
This just in from the Brainerd Dispatch;

Scamp compact travel trailers will be built once again in Backus, but it's unclear how long the rebuilding process will take after fire destroyed the manufacturing facility Friday night.

Kent Eveland, president of Eveland's Inc. in Backus, said Tuesday he and his family plan to rebuild their Scamp compact travel trailer business, the second-largest employer in the small community of Backus. The business, which has 47 employees, will remain in Backus, he said. The company was established in 1971 by Eveland's father, Duane Eveland; his aunt, Gladys Coffland; and uncle Gerald Eveland.

Scamp campers have a large dedicated fan base. Scamp owners have established Scamp clubs throughout the country, meeting on a regular basis and creating newsletters dedicated to the compact trailers, which can be pulled behind small cars and trucks.

Eveland said it's unclear at this point how long it will take to rebuild the business. During Friday's fire, about 20-25 trailers were destroyed inside the building while about 25 finished Scamp trailers were saved that were located outside the building. The company produces about 400 Scamp trailers a year and had several unfinished orders for the trailers at the time of the fire. Eveland said many of their customers haven't canceled their orders and are waiting to see what happens next.

"For us, it's a tragedy," said Eveland, of the fire. "Our product was moving as good as it ever was. To all of a sudden be out of business is a catastrophe. You lose all your income for the year. I have 47 people who work here. How do you find income for all of them when you're rebuilding?"

Eveland said the company was insured but the process of rebuilding may be a lengthy one. The molds for the distinctive compact Scamp campers were destroyed in the fire and they will have to have more molds created. They also can't simply start building the Scamp campers in another building because of airflow regulations involved with the spraying process, he said. A new building plan will have to be developed. The company had five buildings at its site. The main manufacturing facility was the only building that was destroyed in Friday's fire.

Mark Germain, deputy state fire marshal, said the cause of the fire remains under investigation. Eveland said he was told the investigation likely will be finished on Monday.

The fire broke out just after 6 p.m. Friday at the manufacturing facility on Highway 371 in Backus. No one was injured in the fire. Backus Fire Chief Karl Flier said eight other area fire departments were called to the scene to assist the Backus Fire Department, including those from Walker, Hackensack, Pine River, Longville, Crosslake, Nisswa, Pequot Lakes and Ideal Township. Firefighters were on the scene for more than seven hours battling the blaze.

Eveland said he and his family appreciate the support they've received from community members and from the firefighters who helped at the fire Friday.

"It's one of the most horrible feelings in the world," Eveland said of watching his family business burn down Friday. "You watch fires sometimes and sometimes they're fun to watch, like bonfires. But when it's your business, there's nothing good about it. It's just a bad deal."
Old 01-18-2006, 12:27 PM   #74

Name: Michael
Trailer: Amerigo & Trailmanor (popupish)
Indiana
Quote:
The molds for the distinctive compact Scamp campers were destroyed in the fire and they will have to have more molds created.
Well, that answers the $64,000 question.

The only real issue then is if the recreated molds will be the same (good for current owners of Scamps and other classic eggs) or a "new and improved" version of the Scamp. I'd vote for new & improved myself.

Mike
Old 01-18-2006, 12:42 PM   #75

Oregon
Quote:
Well, that answers the $64,000 question.

The only real issue then is if the recreated molds will be the same (good for current owners of Scamps and other classic eggs) or a "new and improved" version of the Scamp. I'd vote for new & improved myself.

Mike
yeah me too...like change the door design...dump that air-craft style door!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 12:53 PM   #76

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13 ft
WOW, this is terrible news.

Scamp does not have email as far as I know. I requested that when corresponding with them for the purchase of our 2005 13'.

When speaking to Wayne Pitlick (Scamp salesman), I asked him why they do not expand their operation. Obviously they are "behind" in manufacture. He stated that the entire business is owned outright, the company has no debt. The owners like to keep it that way.

Given that attitude, I don't think the chance of rebuilding is that great. The owners liked the no-hassle approach they were doing business. Investing in the rebirth of the company may be financial burden they don't want to take on.

On Edit: I didn't realize there were 6 pages to this thread. I read the first then posted. I am happy to see news reports that the owners are planning on rebuilding.
Old 01-18-2006, 01:25 PM   #77

Oregon
Registry
Quote:

Actually I'd be happy if they just made the mold so the curve of the door matched the curve of the trailer. The curved door would be just fine if it was the same shape. The door on my brand new 2006 trailer doesn't match the curve of the trailer. Which would indicates, at least to me, that the problem with doors is design shape and NOT the sagging over time myth. Could be fixed with a new mold.
Old 01-18-2006, 01:58 PM   #78

Name: Michael
Trailer: Amerigo & Trailmanor (popupish)
Indiana
Quote:
I'm not gonna argue regarding the practical problems of the curved door. Yeah - it's impractical, problematic and has all the problems everybody says it does.

But they're cool.

As far as the body-sag explanation: Can't speak for Scamps - but I can fully confirm that when it came to the PlayPac we had. When it came to us it didn't have any support near the door latch and the bottom of the door SERIOUSLY gapped. When I installed a side closet, I propped up the roof - lifting it mildly. At least 90% of my gap problem was gone. That certainly doesn't say that is what causes the problem - just that it CAN cause the problem.

If I were coming up with a "dream list" for a redesigned Scamp - I likely wouldn't change all that much. Make the body a little longer, and maybe a bit wider (for a more "American-Sized" bed in the back). Get rid of the twisted iron supports. That's really it. I like the design generally.

Mike
Old 01-18-2006, 08:23 PM   #79

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
I'm not gonna argue regarding the practical problems of the curved door. Yeah - it's impractical, problematic and has all the problems everybody says it does.

[b]But they're cool.

As far as the body-sag explanation: Can't speak for Scamps - but I can fully confirm that when it came to the PlayPac we had. When it came to us it didn't have any support near the door latch and the bottom of the door SERIOUSLY gapped. When I installed a side closet, I propped up the roof - lifting it mildly. At least 90% of my gap problem was gone. That certainly doesn't say that is what causes the problem - just that it CAN cause the problem.

If I were coming up with a "dream list" for a redesigned Scamp - I likely wouldn't change all that much. Make the body a little longer, and maybe a bit wider (for a more "American-Sized" bed in the back). Get rid of the twisted iron supports. [b]That's really it. I like the design generally.
Mike
What would a Flat-doored Scamp be, other than a "me-too" Casita? On the positive side, that door curve allows for a taller door. In order to make the door flat on the Fiber Stream, it is only 60" (5' 0") tall. Kind of forces you to genuflect or curtsy upon entering. I agree with Mike.
Frederick
Old 01-18-2006, 08:59 PM   #80

Trailer: 1985 17 ft Burro
Great point, Frederick! I am all of 5' 2-1/2" and have whacked my head on our Burro door opening a couple of times. The Burro door is straight.

I think I will add some pipe insulation to the upper edge of opening so that when I do whack it again (there will be an "again") it will be a little softer.
Old 01-19-2006, 01:52 AM   #81

Name: Chris
Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16
Washington
I understand that only the sales office and a storage building remain. All of the factory, including molds, was lost. They did have insurance and will be rebuilding as soon as possible; they hope to complete work by this summer. A real loss for them, their customers and the community, but they are saying "bigger and better".

Christa
Old 01-19-2006, 07:22 AM   #82

Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
A flat door might make it look more like a Trillium 5500.

(that is if they also made it Taller,longer , and more square on the corners)
Old 01-19-2006, 06:34 PM   #83

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
As long as we have sidetracked to "what-if" discussion of the next-generation Scamp, here's my thoughts on the door:

I agree that the curved door is one of the "cool" features which give our trailers (including my Boler 1700) character, but in my books it is a stong contender for the biggest functional problem in the design.

I'm generally okay with the door height as long as I remember to duck in and out, but the fit is not good. A flat door would be both easier to build, brace, and check, and easier to build a correct frame for. If the flat door is essentially at the outside face of the trailer, then yes it would be shorter, or stick out at the top (and bottom) - that's why doors on these trailers, many aircraft, and some cars extend into the curved area of wall/roof transition. If a flat door were inset as far as the top of the current opening, then it could be just as tall; that's essentially where many people have mounted their flat screen doors.

An inset flat door would be inferior aerodynamically, but my personal guess is that it would not be a big deal.

Some later 17' Bolers (I think especially from the Earlton plant) had flat doors, such as one person's trailer called The Bubbler; for comparison the normal curved-door design is shown in the Boler album.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 01:10 PM   #84

Oregon
Another very recent post from YahooScampers:
Quote:
Hi Scampers,
Talked with Alan Sheley yesterday on the phone. He called to notify me
of the fire at the factory. I have 16" Scamp on order. They are going to
try to get up and running as soon as possible. They lost all their forms
in the fire. So they are going to dismantle the two bosses 16 footers to