Scamp Fridge Venting and Replacement Options - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2015, 10:33 AM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Registry
Scamp Fridge Venting and Replacement Options

The last time I looked at a brand new Scamp up close was at the 2013 MN State Fair. Back then I noticed they had changed their fridge venting to a roof mounted vent. I found a stock photo on their site showing that same roof vent. While browsing their photos I noticed that the fridge venting seems to have gone back to two vent panels on the curb side wall (first image). Of course I'm assuming their photos show most current options.

Does anyone have any insight to these venting changes? I suspect Scamp has changed Dometic fridge models and venting requirements have also changed. I'm curious because I'm considering replacing the fridge (my old RM2202 bit the dust a few years ago) in my 1998 16' which is vented like the second image (no roof vent) and am wondering if my vents would work with Scamp's current fridge options offered in their parts store. I see they currently offer a RM2193 (that replaces my RM2202) and a larger RM2410 that may be the one that seems to take up about 3-4" of aisle space (3rd image). Maybe the bigger fridge requires the roof vent?

I realize I can call and ask Scamp but I've found that more information I can get from folks here can help me ask informed questions from Scamp parts people.

I should mention that besides the 3-way fridge option, I'm also considering going with a 12v fridge. I've started looking at various models mentioned on other threads. I currently have a portable unattached 75w solar panel that I use to periodically recharge with. I've thought I'd probably need to upgrade to some permanently attached roof mount solar setup to keep the 12V fridge running. Any advice on 12v vs 3-way fridges is also appreciated. I read somewhere that one consideration is that propane is silent while the 12v fridge makes some noise. I'd assume it'd be like sleeping in my kitchen at home.
Attached Thumbnails
Scamp Vent.jpg   Scamp_16ft_Standard_Layout6_20-497-672-414-80.jpg  

Scamp Fridge.jpg  
Old 02-22-2015, 11:05 AM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
If you don't get a definitive answer here about the vents I suggest that you look up the installation manuals for the different Dometics you mentioned and see what their venting requirement are. They are usually very specific. Those instructions are available on the Dometic site as well as by Goggling the make and model number followed by "installation".

As far as the raging battle about 3 way vs 12VDC refrigerators, good luck on that!
My take is that a tank of LP lasts a lot longer than a battery when you are not staying where hook-ups are available, meaning boondocking and most real neat campgrounds, and yes, you can run on LP while underway.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 05:25 AM   #3

Registry
Thanks for your thoughts Bob. I found pdf installation documents and it looks like the larger model that Scamp offers is vented through the roof. I'm not too keen on cutting any more holes in the fiberglass than I already have.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:02 AM   #4
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
In my opinion both types of refrigerators need venting. There are some, including many trailer manufacturers that think the compressor type doesn't. Suffice it to say that removing as much heat as possible from the condenser makes either run better. With a propane fridge, a roof mount will create a chimney effect. This will make for better operation but it puts a hole in the roof. With side mounted vents, the further apart the better. This is usually limited by the interior structure of the trailer. Baffles can also be added to increase the air flow. Finally you can add a small computer type muffin fan. The installation manual, available on line, will give you the minimum venting requirements.

I have the 2193 propane fridge. It's a no frills, no freezer workhorse. It will run for a long time on a bottle of propane. That said, while it will keep my groceries cold, if I want cold drinks, I use an ice chest. Good luck, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 08:59 AM   #5

Registry
Raz,

Nice to know you like your 2193. I like the idea of no freezer as it's not something I would use much. I'm leaning in the direction of propane and perhaps this model as Scamp's site shows it as a 2202 replacement. I figure I can fit it fairly easily where my 2202 was and almost plug and play. After reading recent posts from Denny on his solar experiences http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ozy-63494.html I'm thinking propane would provide me with more flexibility for boondocking in different situations.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:08 AM   #6
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
The 2193 is one of the few units with no electronics, hence no battery drain. The price you pay is it's small and all the controls are outside. Seeing if the propane is light can be challenging, especially in the rain.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 03:08 PM   #7

Registry
I just talked to Evan in Scamp parts department. He confirmed that the RM2193 uses the same venting as my former RM2202 so I should be able to install one without too much effort. He said that the smaller fridge is being used when their customers want a microwave plus a fridge and side venting is used. If customers go with the larger fridge, it takes away the microwave space and vents out the top.

I also recognized Evan's voice as the same guy I talked to when I looked at Scamps at the 2013 MN State Fair. He was very helpful and answered all my questions. Now I need to think about whether I want to order a fridge from Scamp and pay shipping or perhaps find one closer to home.
Old 02-25-2015, 03:56 PM   #8

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We can run our 4 cu. ft. refrigerator on one 20 lb tank of propane for over 30 days .If I had to eliminate one source between 12 VDC ,120 VAC ,or propane , the 12 VDC would be my choice . IMHO 12 VDC refrigerators create more issues than they solve.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:00 AM   #9

Registry
Trip to Scamp

I called a local RV parts and repair shop and was told they would sell me an RM2193 for $724. Scamp has a much lower price at $570 and they also told me it would cost $100 to $150 to crate and ship it to me. With that, I'm looking at paying about the same for Scamp to ship vs buying it locally.

I am planning to head west next week to visit our son in MT. Backus is only about an hour out of the way so a trip to Scamp might be in order.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:19 AM   #10

Registry
Thought I'd send a quick update. I ended up picking up the RM2193 from Scamp and installed it on Saturday. The opening from the former RM2202 was slightly larger so I filled the gap by making a frame with a piece of scrap 1/4" oak plywood I had. Lucky I had some Early American stain that matched the fake wood on the Scamp cabinet doors.

The original connections (AC, DC, & LP) lined up perfectly so once I had the fridge in place it was fairly quick getting it running for a test.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1427123883.235035.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	81622
Old 07-14-2022, 09:33 AM   #11

Name: Matt
Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13
South Carolina
Vents

Not sure if anyone who posted before is still active but what kind of venting did you wind up doing? We are putting a 3 way fridge into our 1982 and I picked up two dometic vents on amazon. But it seems like (rough layout, haven't installed yet) the two vents will almost be touching each other. Is it better to go with a smaller vent to allow spacing between the two vents?
mrflach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 03:01 PM   #12

Name: Robind
Trailer: in the market
Alaska
2193. What brand refrig would this model be?
Robind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 03:38 PM   #13

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robind View Post
2193. What brand refrig would this model be?
Dometic. I don't think Norcold makes one small enough for a Scamp 13, but you could check.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, scamp