Scamp Full Size Bed = Smaller Table Size - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-02-2014, 08:15 AM   #15

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post
They've been in business longer than most, so they must know what they are doing.

I agree in principle, but it wouldn't seem like offering LED lights would be a real stretch or business-busting territory to explore. This ain't exactly "New Coke" or Ford moving the horn button to the end of the turn signal stuff. Just moving from the 1970's to 2014. (My apologies to Scamp if they now offer LED lighting.)

Old 07-02-2014, 09:06 AM   #16

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
I asked about L.E.D.'s and was told they still don't offer them. I asked why and they didn't have an explanation. :shy

I agree with your post. Sometimes their decisions make no sense at all to us customers. I can think of no possible reason in the world for not offering L.E.D.'s. Sometimes they have a good explanation as in the shorter table reason given, but we'd like to know.

One of life's mysteries...

Tom

Old 07-02-2014, 09:17 AM   #17

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
I agree in principle, but it wouldn't seem like offering LED lights would be a real stretch or business-busting territory to explore. This ain't exactly "New Coke" or Ford moving the horn button to the end of the turn signal stuff. Just moving from the 1970's to 2014. (My apologies to Scamp if they now offer LED lighting.)
I find most LED lighting to be annoying to the eye, but let's face it...
Switching to LED aftermarket is not exactly rocket science, and with a little shopping acumen, may actually prove cheaper.
I suggest installing LEDs only in heavy use fixtures where the energy savings can be realized and the quality of the light can be tolerated.

Question:
How many Scampers does it take to install a lightbulb?

Answer:
One to do the actual install, and ten to extoll the merits of OEM installation!
Old 07-02-2014, 09:35 AM   #18

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post
I'll get some pictures posted when we get back from our trip home Jon. We looked at a finished 13 with the larger bed when we visited Scamp and placed our order last January. The closet or pantry cabinet appeared to be about 8" wide. Very narrow if you're used to the normal sized one. The sink / stove counter space was next to non existent as well. That extra 10" of bed has to come from somewhere.

You do gain a little extra space under the dinette benches and under bunk storage. We got all the upper storage cabinets we could as well. The rear center one won't fit if you get the fantastic fan and roof A/C. We did. We have two small dogs that share the bed. Long story short; I was out voted. The extra 10" was so important; we were prepared to get the Deluxe. When Scamp decided to offer it in the standard model, we saved nearly $3K.

Like you and I'm sure many others, I think they should offer the 54" bed in the 16. It could be a big selling point. They say 65% of Scamps sold are 13' models. Maybe that's why they did that one first.

Tom
I have the rear center cabinet in my 13deluxe front bath with A/C , Fantastic Fan, and factory antenna. there is plenty of room to spare.
The "pantry cabinet" on ours is actually 15" wide.(might be 14" on the fiberglass version).
I just priced one recently, and when comparably equipped, the Deluxe option shrank to under $1500 due to the package content of the Deluxe.
Fortunately, Scamp offers both and both are excellent values when compared to their competition.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:58 AM   #19

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Maybe we need to concider our Scamps and Casitas as entry level moulded trailers. You get what you see and if you want something changed go elsewhere. Sad, but good for other companies willing to change things up for customers. Word of mouth from owners and prospective buyers can sure make a difference to what someone chooses look at and buy. Not saying this to start any arguments, so don't go there. I like my Casita but I can understand why long time owners are moving up to higher end trailers. Just my 2 cents worth.
While both good products...Scamp and Casita are somewhat different business models. Options and customization on the Scamp are about as broad as any fiberglass trailer in the industry.
Scamp does offer "entry level" trailers, but they also offer fully optioned Custom Deluxe models as opulent and varied as any.
When it comes to 13' compact fiberglass trailers, Scamp has no peer.

Escape is pretty much "sizing" itself into an altogether different demographic market.
For me it's...(no 13 footer, no RV trailer) thus no competition.
Choice is a good thing though, as is competition.
I hope they all flourish in a robust economy!

Every company balks in some odd way which is not really noticed until it affects your choices. On my last new car, I was refused leather seating because I ordered a manual transmission.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:18 AM   #20

Name: melissa
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13 DLX
Florida
I too have the rear center cabinet in my 13 Deluxe front bunks with A/C and Fantastic Fan so it can be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I have the rear center cabinet in my 13deluxe front bath with A/C , Fantastic Fan, and factory antenna. there is plenty of room to spare.
The "pantry cabinet" on ours is actually 15" wide.(might be 14" on the fiberglass version).
I just priced one recently, and when comparably equipped, the Deluxe option shrank to under $1500 due to the package content of the Deluxe.
Fortunately, Scamp offers both and both are excellent values when compared to their competition.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:44 AM   #21

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Different strokes for different folks. I like LED lights, wife finds the color and intensity does not suit her. Some would not consider a no bath option, others don't want to give up the space or window.

I'm glad there are a lot of choices where one can get what works for them at many different market prices. From the basic to the deluxe models offered by different manufactures focused on different segments of the market. Basic to high end deluxe there is something that is perfect for your needs. With enough competition to drive innovation over time.

I like my 13 and it meets my needs, maybe someday I'll decide that a 16 or 17 ft. size with a bathroom is a better choice and I will have lots of possibilities to choose from.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:49 PM   #22

Michigan
Floyd, if there was one person on this forum that steered us toward a Scamp it was you. I have read your posts for years and one by one you allayed any doubts I had. I agree, nobody does a 13' FGRV with as many options or choices as Scamp. Having never seen one up close, we went to Backus in Jan. I'm the kind of person that needs to see something like that "up close and personal". It lived up to all my expectations. As I said we were ready to get the Deluxe if for no other reason than the 54" bed. The wood trim in the Deluxe was as nice as any I've seen in any RV that cost 3 times as much. We went back and forth between the Deluxe and Standard, but in the end we decided that we liked the Standard enough to save the $3K difference. We'll put that into gas and camping fees.

I'm not sure why the rear cabinet doesn't fit with the Standard model that has A/C and fan. Does the fiberglass cabinet have longer flanges for riveting? Not sure. I really want to compare the 2 models after we get ours. The side cabinet did not look to be anywhere near 14", but I didn't measure it. I don't believe the door was on it either, so maybe I was looking at the opening rather that the inside dimension. I hope you're right on that! We could use the space. Changing to L.E.D.'s was on the to-do list, but you may have a point about not doing it all at once. I know they come in different colors from cold bright blue to warmer yellow appearing lights. I like the warmer more natural colors myself for area lighting. There's plenty of time for experimentation.

Melissa, I've followed your exploits for a few years as well. Asking lots of questions, buying the T@b, camping with your girls. I admired your sense of adventure and independence. We will be wintering in your state since our daughter and SIL moved down to St Pete this year. We'll be at Scamp Camp next Feb. Do you attend that? Hopefully we run into each other sometime on the road. Same with you Floyd.

Tom
Old 07-03-2014, 11:24 PM   #23

Name: Bill
Trailer: 2016 Scamp 13 Deluxe Birch w/front dinette
Wisconsin
Registry
Fan & Rear cabinet in standars

The standard fiberglass rear cabinet has the flange for mounting and that is exactly why the fan does not fit.

I have a 2011 with A/C and went up to Backus last Sept. to get a Fan put in. It will not fit...Scamp put it in front of the A/C.
Old 07-04-2014, 12:00 AM   #24

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillE View Post
The standard fiberglass rear cabinet has the flange for mounting and that is exactly why the fan does not fit.

I have a 2011 with A/C and went up to Backus last Sept. to get a Fan put in. It will not fit...Scamp put it in front of the A/C.
Actually, your A/C could have been moved forward enough to allow the fan over the bed, had it been planned in with the original order.
Old 07-04-2014, 06:56 AM   #25

Michigan
Kracker180 (Bob) on youtube has a nice little video about his 2013 Std 13' Scamp. He walks you thru the options and states not getting a rear o/h cabinet with a roof fan and A/C setup at 6:35. Floyd is correct when he stated the fan is over the bed if ordered with both fan and A/C. We ordered the front overhead cabinet, but will probably keep it empty when towing in an effort to keep the hitch weight down.

If anyone is thinking about a new Scamp I would recommend going to Backus and spending some time with a salesman. We had a list of questions answered and got to see the quality first hand. It's quite impressive how far they are willing to go to please. Of course spending some time educating yourself on this forum helped tremendously. If I didn't read about a few things here first; I wouldn't have known to ask.

Here's the video:

our brand new 2013 scamp travel trailer - YouTube
Old 07-04-2014, 04:09 PM   #26

Name: Marky
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Scamp and Casita make a great RV and I think the time to sell them is now. I believe the baby boomers are starting to retire and are looking at traveling. They've worked 12 hour days, at 6 days per week. They've saved and in their retirement are looking for RVs.
If we look at the census there's a lot of people who are a little bigger than their previous generation. Most of the time with husband and wife working, stress and there just isn't enough time to cook. Fast food is now the trend. To have them sleep together on a 44" bed is not good selling point, especially since beds have gotten bigger. I remember my parents, uncles and grandparents, sleeping on a double bed. We have a queen sized bed and my daughters have a king size bed at their homes.
The newer generations want refrigerators with freezers and larger beds. I don't understand why Dometric can't put a freezer in their 1.9 gas refrigerator but they can in their electric refrigerator. I applaud Scamp on their move to a 54" bed in their 13' standard and some mods had to be done. They have an almost 3 month waiting time to get one built! The 13' is their best seller, imagine if they had their 16' sell at the same rate! IMHO

Marky

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 07-04-2014, 05:47 PM   #27

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyVasquez View Post
Scamp and Casita make a great RV and I think the time to sell them is now. I believe the baby boomers are starting to retire and are looking at traveling. They've worked 12 hour days, at 6 days per week. They've saved and in their retirement are looking for RVs.
If we look at the census there's a lot of people who are a little bigger than their previous generation. Most of the time with husband and wife working, stress and there just isn't enough time to cook. Fast food is now the trend. To have them sleep together on a 44" bed is not good selling point, especially since beds have gotten bigger. I remember my parents, uncles and grandparents, sleeping on a double bed. We have a queen sized bed and my daughters have a king size bed at their homes.
The newer generations want refrigerators with freezers and larger beds. I don't understand why Dometric can't put a freezer in their 1.9 gas refrigerator but they can in their electric refrigerator. I applaud Scamp on their move to a 54" bed in their 13' standard and some mods had to be done. They have an almost 3 month waiting time to get one built! The 13' is their best seller, imagine if they had their 16' sell at the same rate! IMHO

Marky

They nearly doubled their factory capacity after the fire in '06, and they still sell every trailer they can build to buyers waiting in line.
I don't use the "B" word but many of them will find that they lose a lot of weight when they enter their retirement lifestyle with more activity and fewer doughnut breaks and scheduled meals. Not to mention shedding all the day-to-day stress. At least the opportunity is there for most.
I lost fifty pounds in my first five years of retirement with no dieting.
Still... we love the larger bed in our Scamp13D, and the shower seems to have grown a bit (for me) too!
Old 07-05-2014, 01:13 AM   #28

Name: Marky
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
They nearly doubled their factory capacity after the fire in '06, and they still sell every trailer they can build to buyers waiting in line.
I don't use the "B" word but many of them will find that they lose a lot of weight when they enter their retirement lifestyle with more activity and fewer doughnut breaks and scheduled meals. Not to mention shedding all the day-to-day stress. At least the opportunity is there for most.
I lost fifty pounds in my first five years of retirement with no dieting.
Still... we love the larger bed in our Scamp13D, and the shower seems to have grown a bit (for me) too!

When I used the B word Floyd I meant taller. Lol! I've read about your Scamp13D on your posts and you are the authority on it. I've learned a lot about the Scamp 13D just by reading your posts, and congratulations on your weight loss. I hope to do both someday. The only thing is I live in south Texas and I still work. Happy camping and I'd like to cross campfires with you and share some 13D war stories someday.

Tags
scamp