Scamp Full Size Bed = Smaller Table Size - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2014, 10:44 AM   #21

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Different strokes for different folks. I like LED lights, wife finds the color and intensity does not suit her. Some would not consider a no bath option, others don't want to give up the space or window.

I'm glad there are a lot of choices where one can get what works for them at many different market prices. From the basic to the deluxe models offered by different manufactures focused on different segments of the market. Basic to high end deluxe there is something that is perfect for your needs. With enough competition to drive innovation over time.

I like my 13 and it meets my needs, maybe someday I'll decide that a 16 or 17 ft. size with a bathroom is a better choice and I will have lots of possibilities to choose from.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 02:49 PM   #22

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Floyd, if there was one person on this forum that steered us toward a Scamp it was you. I have read your posts for years and one by one you allayed any doubts I had. I agree, nobody does a 13' FGRV with as many options or choices as Scamp. Having never seen one up close, we went to Backus in Jan. I'm the kind of person that needs to see something like that "up close and personal". It lived up to all my expectations. As I said we were ready to get the Deluxe if for no other reason than the 54" bed. The wood trim in the Deluxe was as nice as any I've seen in any RV that cost 3 times as much. We went back and forth between the Deluxe and Standard, but in the end we decided that we liked the Standard enough to save the $3K difference. We'll put that into gas and camping fees.

I'm not sure why the rear cabinet doesn't fit with the Standard model that has A/C and fan. Does the fiberglass cabinet have longer flanges for riveting? Not sure. I really want to compare the 2 models after we get ours. The side cabinet did not look to be anywhere near 14", but I didn't measure it. I don't believe the door was on it either, so maybe I was looking at the opening rather that the inside dimension. I hope you're right on that! We could use the space. Changing to L.E.D.'s was on the to-do list, but you may have a point about not doing it all at once. I know they come in different colors from cold bright blue to warmer yellow appearing lights. I like the warmer more natural colors myself for area lighting. There's plenty of time for experimentation.

Melissa, I've followed your exploits for a few years as well. Asking lots of questions, buying the T@b, camping with your girls. I admired your sense of adventure and independence. We will be wintering in your state since our daughter and SIL moved down to St Pete this year. We'll be at Scamp Camp next Feb. Do you attend that? Hopefully we run into each other sometime on the road. Same with you Floyd.

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:24 PM   #23

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Registry
Fan & Rear cabinet in standars

The standard fiberglass rear cabinet has the flange for mounting and that is exactly why the fan does not fit.

I have a 2011 with A/C and went up to Backus last Sept. to get a Fan put in. It will not fit...Scamp put it in front of the A/C.
BillE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 11:00 PM   #24

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillE View Post
The standard fiberglass rear cabinet has the flange for mounting and that is exactly why the fan does not fit.

I have a 2011 with A/C and went up to Backus last Sept. to get a Fan put in. It will not fit...Scamp put it in front of the A/C.
Actually, your A/C could have been moved forward enough to allow the fan over the bed, had it been planned in with the original order.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 05:56 AM   #25

Michigan
Kracker180 (Bob) on youtube has a nice little video about his 2013 Std 13' Scamp. He walks you thru the options and states not getting a rear o/h cabinet with a roof fan and A/C setup at 6:35. Floyd is correct when he stated the fan is over the bed if ordered with both fan and A/C. We ordered the front overhead cabinet, but will probably keep it empty when towing in an effort to keep the hitch weight down.

If anyone is thinking about a new Scamp I would recommend going to Backus and spending some time with a salesman. We had a list of questions answered and got to see the quality first hand. It's quite impressive how far they are willing to go to please. Of course spending some time educating yourself on this forum helped tremendously. If I didn't read about a few things here first; I wouldn't have known to ask.

Here's the video:

our brand new 2013 scamp travel trailer - YouTube
Old 07-04-2014, 03:09 PM   #26

Name: Marky
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Scamp and Casita make a great RV and I think the time to sell them is now. I believe the baby boomers are starting to retire and are looking at traveling. They've worked 12 hour days, at 6 days per week. They've saved and in their retirement are looking for RVs.
If we look at the census there's a lot of people who are a little bigger than their previous generation. Most of the time with husband and wife working, stress and there just isn't enough time to cook. Fast food is now the trend. To have them sleep together on a 44" bed is not good selling point, especially since beds have gotten bigger. I remember my parents, uncles and grandparents, sleeping on a double bed. We have a queen sized bed and my daughters have a king size bed at their homes.
The newer generations want refrigerators with freezers and larger beds. I don't understand why Dometric can't put a freezer in their 1.9 gas refrigerator but they can in their electric refrigerator. I applaud Scamp on their move to a 54" bed in their 13' standard and some mods had to be done. They have an almost 3 month waiting time to get one built! The 13' is their best seller, imagine if they had their 16' sell at the same rate! IMHO

Marky

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
MarkyVasquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 04:47 PM   #27

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyVasquez View Post
Scamp and Casita make a great RV and I think the time to sell them is now. I believe the baby boomers are starting to retire and are looking at traveling. They've worked 12 hour days, at 6 days per week. They've saved and in their retirement are looking for RVs.
If we look at the census there's a lot of people who are a little bigger than their previous generation. Most of the time with husband and wife working, stress and there just isn't enough time to cook. Fast food is now the trend. To have them sleep together on a 44" bed is not good selling point, especially since beds have gotten bigger. I remember my parents, uncles and grandparents, sleeping on a double bed. We have a queen sized bed and my daughters have a king size bed at their homes.
The newer generations want refrigerators with freezers and larger beds. I don't understand why Dometric can't put a freezer in their 1.9 gas refrigerator but they can in their electric refrigerator. I applaud Scamp on their move to a 54" bed in their 13' standard and some mods had to be done. They have an almost 3 month waiting time to get one built! The 13' is their best seller, imagine if they had their 16' sell at the same rate! IMHO

Marky

They nearly doubled their factory capacity after the fire in '06, and they still sell every trailer they can build to buyers waiting in line.
I don't use the "B" word but many of them will find that they lose a lot of weight when they enter their retirement lifestyle with more activity and fewer doughnut breaks and scheduled meals. Not to mention shedding all the day-to-day stress. At least the opportunity is there for most.
I lost fifty pounds in my first five years of retirement with no dieting.
Still... we love the larger bed in our Scamp13D, and the shower seems to have grown a bit (for me) too!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 12:13 AM   #28

Name: Marky
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
They nearly doubled their factory capacity after the fire in '06, and they still sell every trailer they can build to buyers waiting in line.
I don't use the "B" word but many of them will find that they lose a lot of weight when they enter their retirement lifestyle with more activity and fewer doughnut breaks and scheduled meals. Not to mention shedding all the day-to-day stress. At least the opportunity is there for most.
Still... we love the larger bed in our Scamp13D, and the shower seems to have grown a bit (for me) too!

When I used the B word Floyd I meant taller. Lol! I've read about your Scamp13D on your posts and you are the authority on it. I've learned a lot about the Scamp 13D just by reading your posts, and congratulations on your weight loss. I hope to do both someday. The only thing is I live in south Texas and I still work. Happy camping and I'd like to cross campfires with you and share some 13D war stories someday.

MarkyVasquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 04:05 AM   #29

Michigan
[QUOTE=MarkyVasquez;468444]When I used the B word Floyd I meant taller. Lol! I've read about your Scamp13D on your posts and you are the authority on it. I've learned a lot about the Scamp 13D just by reading your posts, and congratulations on your weight loss. I hope to do both someday. The only thing is I live in south Texas and I still work. Happy camping and I'd like to cross campfires with you and share some 13D war stories someday.

Thanks for clearing that up for me Marky. For the life of me I couldn't figure out what Floyd meant by the "B" word. I went backwards and figured out he was referring to your bigger comment. Duh!

Tom
Old 07-05-2014, 09:03 AM   #30

Name: Norm and Ginny
Florida
Losing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
With you on losing weight.. we've lost about 120 lbs without consciously dieting over 13 years and feel so much better. When we started Ginny had a knee going bad. With the weight gone, the knee is dramatically better.

As to LEDs as a light source, as we've aged I've come to like their whiteness better because for my eyes they create a higher contrast light for reading, incandescent lights basically produce a yellow light.

It's funny, we're home now sleeping in our Queen sized bed. We wake sometime sadly feeling as though we've slept alone, yearning for the closeness of our 44 inch Scamp bed.

There is a magic quality to RV living. Some of it is not immediately apparent but after a time, one v=begins to see the life and health benefits.

Healthy travels....

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:42 AM   #31

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
When I broke the news about the smaller table with the 54" bed, I also mentioned that the smaller table made the trailer feel more "open" and spacious. However, for 4 adults, it makes an indoor meal or an evening of cards and/or board games more difficult. (In the future, I will undoubtedly do some sort of folding table modification .... maybe like Norm's.)

Although the bottom benches are wider for the 54" bed, Scamp is/was still using the smaller top side cabinets over the table and there is a significant
amount of space between those side cabinets and the sink/stove cabinet and the narrower 12" cabinet by the door. (I may build some sort of shelves into those spaces for wallets, watches, keys, cell phones, etc.)

IMHO/YMMV - The doors on the 12" cabinet are each about 4" too short. There is significant space at the top of each cabinet that is hard to utilize.

When I talked to Wayne about our surprise at such a short table, I got the same explanation/excuse that Tom got. I gave Scamp 3 different table designs that would provide a slightly larger table and still have the needed strength and stability.

Personally, I would not want a very large (i.e. 52") table. With the 32" table, there are two available 20" wide seats on either side of the end of the table.

Most of the time, it will just be my wife and I in the trailer. In cases of meals for 4 or for evening card/board games, I would probably like a 36" table (with corner cuts for easier entry/egress) and an attachable 16" extension board. (Just my current thought and probably worth about what you paid for it. Another YMMV.)

If the bed is down, we have indoor meals by sitting on the bench seat and putting our food/drink on a small/lightweight folding table that we got from Wal-Mart. (I think something similar is available from Camping World.)

We like the 54" bed. (We sleep on a king size bed at home.) Although our Scamp13 has all of the weight that we can tow with our present tow vehicle, I too hope they provide the option of a 54" bed in the Scamp16_std trailers in the very near future.

Since we didn't get A/C, I've now converted all of the interior bulbs to LED in order to keep heat out of the trailer and to conserve battery power when dry camping for a week. (I did ask Scamp to install LED lighting when I ordered the trailer, but Scamp declined ... even at additional cost.)

I will attach some small interior pictures of the Scamp13 + 54" bed.

Ray
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1481.jpg   IMG_1486.jpg  

IMG_1488.jpg   IMG_1495.jpg  

rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 12:14 PM   #32

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
It looks better than I thought it would… I notice the longer benches hang out past the raised portion of the floor (as you would expect). I'd be curious how they detailed that in… Does it seem well-finished to you?

Still think this whole concept makes more sense in the 16' model. But it wouldn't work in the side dinette version (layout #6), which seems to be their best seller in the 16' line. Personally, I think layout #4 with a big bed, bunks in the front, and a small bathroom on the side would be just about perfect!

Choices are good.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:27 PM   #33

Michigan
Ray, so you were the one who alerted me of the short table. Sorry I couldn't remember who posted that originally. I'm really glad you weighed back in. As far as the bed goes; we think ours will stay a bed for the most part. We'll be using it with a mattress topper, and it will be cumbersome to set-up and take down every day. We'll try out the short table a time or two in the beginning, just to see how it works, but if we think we need a bigger one, it will be modded.

We didn't notice the shorter standard rear overhead cabinets. Your added shelf idea is a good one. I want to mount a TV on the closet using a swinging, telescoping type mount to watch in bed, or swing around toward the front to watch from the couch. That gap might help with that.

There was some earlier discussion about the width of the closet. You cleared that up. Twelve inches isn't as narrow as I thought. Curious why they put two doors on it, instead of one larger door? It would seem more accessible and versatile with a bigger door. Might look at that for a future mod.

Finally, I want to thank you for the pictures! We went up there last January to see them and forgot all the little details your pictures showed. Ours is configured very close to yours. Linoleum, splash guard for the sink, rear side cabinets, blue(?) cushions, larger bed, etc. We added A/C when our daughter and SIL moved to FL and gave us all the excuse we needed to start snow birding. We'll be looking at your pictures until we pick ours up on 4 August. Can't wait!

Tom
Old 07-08-2014, 01:58 PM   #34

Missouri
I agree with you, Jon.

If we could handle the additional tow weight, I think that a Scamp16_std layout4 with 54" bed and side bathroom would be an awfully nice trailer for us as well. ...... Maybe someday?

The finish seems pretty OK to me. (I don't get down there on the floor and crawl around much. )

When we are camping, we usually use those little overhang spaces on each side to keep our shoes tucked into at night and out of the way.

Just for more clarity, I'll attach a couple of additional small pix.

Ray
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1492.jpg   IMG_1494.jpg  

Old 07-08-2014, 02:26 PM   #35

Missouri
We asked about the 2 shorter doors on that 12" cabinet too, Tom.

When we placed our order, we asked why we couldn't have a single taller door.

The answer we got was that the 12" cabinet was "structural", needed middle shelf/shelves for strength, and couldn't have a single door (maybe due to concern about flexing and cracking at the corners?)

Still, I believe that there are several inches of wasted space below the bottom shelf (the top of the wheel is roughly at the same height as the inside top of the rear bench) and that there shouldn't be much of a loss in strength by making each of the two doors a few inches taller?

If flexing/cracking is/was the concern, I think that you could make the corners just slightly rounded (less prone to cracking that way) and then put some extra fiberglass cloth/epoxy on the inside edges if the door openings. (Of course, I suppose that I could be wrong. )

Ray
Old 07-08-2014, 02:49 PM   #36

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdickens View Post
WheI also mentioned that the smaller table made the trailer feel more "open" and spacious. Ray

Hmmm, "open & spacious" used to describe a 13' Scamp? Isn't that streaching it a bit?
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 03:17 PM   #37

Michigan
Ray, you're just a wealth of information. You answered all of my questions and concerns for the moment. I'll have to look at that double door closet once we have it and spend some time with it. I'm thinking it could be reinforced for a larger single door too. Of course they all might have to be changed to match. I believe our fake woodwork is a little bit darker than yours. They changed to cherry color about the time we were up there. Your's may be cherry. I'm on a laptop with "Retina Display" but my eyes are analog.

Once again thank you for posting more pictures. Now we have something to look at just like ours. This reminds me of studying the Sears Christmas Catalog as a kid. Anticipation......

Tom
Old 07-08-2014, 03:35 PM   #38

Missouri
You are probably right, Tim.

However, I can tell you that my brother-in-law has a Scamp16_std SD (layout6?) and he recently sat in our trailer and used the word "open".

He said that his trailer seemed more like a long hallway in comparison and that ours seemed like a more "open" room. (He may have been being kind?)

Still ..... "spacious" applied to a Scamp13 is probably a stretch!

I second Jon's notion that a Scamp16_std layout4 might have been our 1st choice .... if it had a 54" bed and our current TV wasn't limited to 1500 lbs tow weight.

We are thinking of upgrading one of our vehicles to the able to pull up to 3500 lbs and a tongue weight of 350 (i.e like a 2014 Ford Escape Ecoboost 2.0L FWD - 240hp & 270 ft/lbs of torque).

However, that may be a little bit farther in the future ..... hopefully when Scamp provides a 54" bed in the Scamp16 layout4.

For now, although we may want to do a few mods, we are really pretty happy with our little Scamp13.

Safe and happy travels to everyone!

Ray
Old 07-08-2014, 07:07 PM   #39

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdickens View Post
The answer we got was that the 12" cabinet was "structural", needed middle shelf/shelves for strength, and couldn't have a single door
So does it have a permanent shelf/divider between the upper and lower cabinet? I wish they would do the standard layout that way, with a divider and two doors. As it is, the lower part of the closet is a black hole that swallows small items...
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:38 PM   #40

Name: Norm and Ginny
Florida
Ray, I never mention it because we've only used it once, but we carry a spare leg for our 'unfolded' table to sit 4 people.

As to cabinet structure, I think we've cut into virtually every piece of fiberglass in our trailer except exterior walls and the bathroom. I have not noticed a single structural weakness as a result, and we do a lot of rough roads.

On our floor to ceiling cabinet, we opened it up and added another door. On our stove side cabinet we made a storage space below the fridge.

Another way to take advantage of 'black holes' is to add pantry like pull outs. We also have thin shelves for frying pans, just the handle end is visible.

I know I have a Scamp 16 but many of the fiberglass pieces fit both and I have made similar mods to my son's Scamp 13.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp