Scamp ground clearance? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2015, 06:07 PM   #1

Name: Kerry
Trailer: Currently looking
California
Scamp ground clearance?

I am a photographer that is considering a Scamp as a good possibility for my photo trips.

I frequently venture onto unpaved or unimproved forest roads with an uneven surface. I am wondering about the ground clearance on the Scamp. I have seen the dump pipes behind the wheel and the clearance doesn't look great.

Any comments from someone with actual off-road experience?

Thanks in advance.
Kerry
MoTownDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 07:23 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoTownDog View Post
I am a photographer that is considering a Scamp as a good possibility for my photo trips.

I frequently venture onto unpaved or unimproved forest roads with an uneven surface. I am wondering about the ground clearance on the Scamp. I have seen the dump pipes behind the wheel and the clearance doesn't look great.

Thanks in advance.
Kerry
Which Scamp with what options?
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 07:32 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
You could look for an Escape 17B with high lift axle.
Attached Thumbnails
Rock pile.jpg  
Old 05-13-2015, 07:41 PM   #4

California
Scamp 13' with shower/toilet!
Old 05-13-2015, 07:46 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Darkroom?
Old 05-13-2015, 08:08 PM   #6

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Axle modifications and larger wheels and tires will let you increase ground clearance. I changed my axle and put larger wheels and tires on my Bigfoot and lifter it about 5 inches. If you are having a trailer built you should be able to work with the manufacturer to get more clearance.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 09:19 PM   #7

Name: J
Isle of Wight
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
Kerry
This may help you
Scamp (Dexter Torflex #9) Axle Lift Kit

--Jim.
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 09:49 PM   #8

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp 19 5'er
Colorado
I had some work done on my Scamp 19' fifth wheel recently. The bottom of the frame at the front and rear of the cabin was just at 16.5" off the ground. That was the frame, and there are other objects that are a bit lower (i.e. the gray and black water drain outlets).

I had a shop raise the camper 4", so I'm now around 20.5" off the ground.

It's my understanding that if you're ordering a new Scamp, the factory will install the lift kit while it's under construction.

Good luck,
Old 05-13-2015, 09:55 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
New or used? Torsion axles settle. I changed my oldy-but-goody 16' Scamp's axle which allows 15" tires. Yes the frame is much higher, but the distance between the axle tube and the ground really doesn't change all that much maybe a few inches. But, not a HIGH lift like you'd expect.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 10:29 PM   #10

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I have had my 92 Scamp 16' on several gravel logging roads with lots of pot holes etc as well as out in the desert without a problem but I would not take it four wheel driving into a boulder stewed road though....
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 10:48 PM   #11

California
Thanks everybody! Lot's of good info!
Old 05-14-2015, 07:03 AM   #12

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
Quote:
Scamp 13' with shower/toilet!
I have little off road experience unless you count national forest campground roads. However, I lifted my Scamp 13 three inches with a $100 kit from Perfect Casita. Very helpful folks. I think it took me 2-3 hours of jacking and crawling underneath with large wrenches. I am pleased. I suspect a shop with a lift could do it in an hour. Still the axle didn't rise, you need bigger wheels/tires for that. But I was most concerned with delicate plumbing hanging down and future underneath storage. 20,000 miles later it tows and handles the same as pre lift. You will have to raise your ball to match.

John
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 07:16 AM   #13

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Read this post. http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ift-59747.html
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 12:01 AM   #14

Name: Josh
Trailer: In the market
Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperjim View Post
...The bottom of the frame at the front and rear of the cabin was just at 16.5" off the ground. That was the frame, and there are other objects that are a bit lower (i.e. the gray and black water drain outlets)...I had a shop raise the camper 4", so I'm now around 20.5" off the ground.
Hi Piperjim - I'm wondering HOW the shop increased you 4" in clearance and what it cost you as well as how it affected handling. I'm also curious how it'd compare to a truck camper in ability to get off road. I much prefer the idea of a fiber eggshell camper for the ability to leave camp but I'm afraid I'd sacrifice the ability to get to some of the places I'd want to go. How does it handle when you have a steep decline followed by a steep incline (do you jackknife vertically?)? Another commenter here said they'd not take it on an unimproved boulder strewn road. Sadly, lots of the places I'd want to go here in the Rockies are just like that. Can they be traversed slowly (with LT tires it's a bumpy ride anyway in the truck, so I'd like to go slow to save on suspension)? Also, how cold have you gotten it? Can it handle 30 or 40 below temps with it's heater? How has the a/c been on the other extreme? How does its siding put up with the sun?
oldcircusbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 12:05 AM   #15

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
... I would not take it four wheel driving into a boulder stewed road though....
Hi Carol - Why wouldn't you? Does it have to do with the bumpy ride on a single axle others have mentioned (securing gear wouldn't be a problem for us), or something else? Do you know of others who've done so and had bad experiences or damaged their camper? If so, how?
Old 06-23-2017, 03:05 AM   #16

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Welcome to FGRV Josh. There are a couple members here that do some pretty good off road towing. Hopefully they will chime in some with some detailed info for you.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 07:21 AM   #17

Wyoming
Thanks Dave! I'll hope they do.
Old 06-23-2017, 07:45 AM   #18

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcircusbread View Post
Hi Piperjim - I'm wondering HOW the shop increased you 4" in clearance and what it cost you as well as how it affected handling. I'm also curious how it'd compare to a truck camper in ability to get off road. I much prefer the idea of a fiber eggshell camper for the ability to leave camp but I'm afraid I'd sacrifice the ability to get to some of the places I'd want to go. How does it handle when you have a steep decline followed by a steep incline (do you jackknife vertically?)? Another commenter here said they'd not take it on an unimproved boulder strewn road. Sadly, lots of the places I'd want to go here in the Rockies are just like that. Can they be traversed slowly (with LT tires it's a bumpy ride anyway in the truck, so I'd like to go slow to save on suspension)? Also, how cold have you gotten it? Can it handle 30 or 40 below temps with it's heater? How has the a/c been on the other extreme? How does its siding put up with the sun?
We have camped in our Casita at 17 below zero. You will have condensation issues at that temp and at 40 below especially with a wind don't plan on 75 deg interior temps. . None of the FG trailers are built for Arctic conditions . We had our Scamp raised and for me , I found it to be less stable when traveling in high winds .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 08:32 AM   #19

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp 19 5'er
Colorado
The shop installed a steel rectangular tube (4" x 2" and 1/4" thick) between the axle and the frame. The cost was $400. No changes in handling. I stay on pavement, so can't answer about boulder jumping. Note, this mod doesn't raise the axle any, so you've still got to be concerned with axle clearance.

We've stayed in the camper as cold as 16F. The heater ran practically the whole night and we had a lot of condensation, especially in the windows the next morning....a lot.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:55 AM   #20

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I'm not sure what you mean by a "boulder-strewn road." I've taken our stock Scamp 13 on graded forest roads with shallow wash-outs and protruding bedrock outcroppings. With care, it can go pretty much anywhere my stock Honda Pilot tow vehicle can reasonably go. A Flexiride axle, with an adjustable axle arm angle, might be a nice upgrade.

But if you mean rock-crawling Jeep trails and river beds, you'll need a whole new frame, not just an axle upgrade, and a different kind of coupler. Might want to reinforce the thin fiberglass shell, too, and doors and drawers and cupboards and...

...then there is this: Scamp 19 Bookdocker's Dream

Forty below.... I don't think so, and I don't care if you're talking Fahrenheit or Celsius.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp